BRING BACK POWER FOOTBALL!

The Duke

Agreed. Enough with the "Learning process". Throw it out and go back to what worked in 90's. Power Option Football. No one did it better. With TO's addition of speed on defense in the 90's it was perfect. Good teams could stay close until they were worn out by middle 3rd qtr, then the NU offense rolled.There must be 40 programs who have way more experience and run "the spread" better than NU. GIVE IT UP. This is and has been so sad and was very preventable.

Mistake #1: Not replacing Osborne w/ Turner Gill

Mistake #2: Solich was a good second choice, but should never have been fired by that knucklehead AD because he lost 3 games?? (think Callahan)

Mistake #3 (and the tanking of the program for 12 and still counting years): Knucklehead AD brillient decision to bring in Callahan and WCO.

Mistake #4: Board not realizing soon enough that they needed to fire AD

Mistake # 5: (sorry TO): Hiring Pelini - what the heck was his tie in with past NU success. Blackshirts were McBride's legacy - Pellini was there what, one year?? What the heck was the Congressman thinking?? His sideline rant should have been the excuse for TO to save face and dump this gum smacking guy.

Mistake #6: Considering recent mild progress signs of success.

Throw it all out, hire Gill and watch the results in about 2-3 years

160872d1343460299-camaro-owner-i-come-peace-joker-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

• Fire 1

Sorry Duke. Your wrong. We're headed the right direction. I remind you. we aren't exactly "all spread". We have a pretty damn good dose of the run game going. The "threat" of the pass is a great thing, and nice to have in your pocket. If the run can't be stopped, I'm with you, keep running it, but balance is a great thing to have. Right now, Nebraska's got a pretty good balancing act going. We are recruiting the type of QB's to continue this offensive style. I like it.

Duke, you've thrown down some good points over the months, and I consider you a good poster. Here I think you're potentially fixated on something for the wrong reason.

The NU offense had a fairly significant aerial bent in the early Osborne years, for example. And before that, pre-Devaney, we were really good at losing by a lot of points all the time.

I think Nebraska football personified is not "Power Football," it's continuous adaptability. Osborne adjusted over time, became convinced that nothing is more demoralizing to a defense than running for 4-6 ypc while that defense can't stop it stop it even while they know what's coming. Next step was totally re hauling the D from slow and strong to light and fleet. Think about that. That's a lot of years of recruiting hit and misses, teaching them the defensive philosophies and strategies and...most of all, assignments.

Then expanding our recruiting bases, another critical adaptation. California and Florida and Texas and Jersey kids...we needed to reach far, we did, and we landed kids we didn't use to even go after. Let us not forget Boyd Epley. We needed to gain an edge, and we adapted into the elite weight training program in the nation.

What you're talking about (in this guy's view, for whatever that's worth) is a reversion back to what previously worked in a specific time and place that has passed us by. The landscape has changed, and so have we. Our hurry up is not a novelty...slowly but surely, we're being lumped in with the other top up tempo teams teams that have been at it for five years or more and have been raining havoc, and the implication is that we're become pretty damn explosive.

I loved watching our 5th year senior backup guard come hulking into the game back in the good old days, a starter for maybe ANY other D1 school, and watch opponents get "hurt" every 5 snaps. I'd bet 2 or 3 out of those five just flat didn't want to get hit anymore. But the days of stockpiling those kids are over. Andrus P comes here in '91, he ain't really playing until '94 at the earliest. If you watched USC lose to Stanford, you know that way of doing things has thoroughly gone out of vogue.

So.....we have to adapt. And isn't power football forcing your will on an increasingly wearying defense anyway? Wearing them down? 'Cause I'd say we did that last week....thinking about Borland of all people throwing an arm tackle or King Rex Walter-Peytonning that DB 15 yards + backwards down the field. I'd say we still feature a lot of power in our game, it's just doesn't resemble what we remember from the days when we were better than anyone on the field, and maybe anyone who had ever taken the field.

At UCLA, Ammer avg 7.4 ypc at one point, and Braylon had 7 per. That's still power rushing. It's just coming in a different form. I think we need to continue to embrace adaptation, which is really a way of saying we need to stay ahead of the curve. imho, we're doing just that, and with a 2nd year OC, doing pretty damn well at it.

• Fire 5

Duke, you've thrown down some good points over the months, and I consider you a good poster. Here I think you're potentially fixated on something for the wrong reason.

The NU offense had a fairly significant aerial bent in the early Osborne years, for example. And before that, pre-Devaney, we were really good at losing by a lot of points all the time.

I think Nebraska football personified is not "Power Football," it's continuous adaptability. Osborne adjusted over time, became convinced that nothing is more demoralizing to a defense than running for 4-6 ypc while that defense can't stop it stop it even while they know what's coming. Next step was totally re hauling the D from slow and strong to light and fleet. Think about that. That's a lot of years of recruiting hit and misses, teaching them the defensive philosophies and strategies and...most of all, assignments.

Then expanding our recruiting bases, another critical adaptation. California and Florida and Texas and Jersey kids...we needed to reach far, we did, and we landed kids we didn't use to even go after. Let us not forget Boyd Epley. We needed to gain an edge, and we adapted into the elite weight training program in the nation.

What you're talking about (in this guy's view, for whatever that's worth) is a reversion back to what previously worked in a specific time and place that has passed us by. The landscape has changed, and so have we. Our hurry up is not a novelty...slowly but surely, we're being lumped in with the other top up tempo teams teams that have been at it for five years or more and have been raining havoc, and the implication is that we're become pretty damn explosive.

I loved watching our 5th year senior backup guard come hulking into the game back in the good old days, a starter for maybe ANY other D1 school, and watch opponents get "hurt" every 5 snaps. I'd bet 2 or 3 out of those five just flat didn't want to get hit anymore. But the days of stockpiling those kids are over. Andrus P comes here in '91, he ain't really playing until '94 at the earliest. If you watched USC lose to Stanford, you know that way of doing things has thoroughly gone out of vogue.

So.....we have to adapt. And isn't power football forcing your will on an increasingly wearying defense anyway? Wearing them down? 'Cause I'd say we did that last week....thinking about Borland of all people throwing an arm tackle or King Rex Walter-Peytonning that DB 15 yards + backwards down the field. I'd say we still feature a lot of power in our game, it's just doesn't resemble what we remember from the days when we were better than anyone on the field, and maybe anyone who had ever taken the field.

At UCLA, Ammer avg 7.4 ypc at one point, and Braylon had 7 per. That's still power rushing. It's just coming in a different form. I think we need to continue to embrace adaptation, which is really a way of saying we need to stay ahead of the curve. imho, we're doing just that, and with a 2nd year OC, doing pretty damn well at it.

Excellent post. :thumbs

I know it isn't popular on here Duke but I agree with you whole heartly. We should focus more so on running the ball than throwing. We are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole but as we know it doesn't work.

There is nothing wrong with throwing the football but it isn't us as our main focus. Run the football and keep doing it more times than not until someone stops us. As Woody Hayes would say about throwing the football to much, "There are three things that could happen when throwing the ball and two of them are bad".

We threw the ball plenty during the Osborne years but it wasn't our focus and it shouldn't be our focus now. If we want to continue to throw the ball so much, make a change at QB plain and simple. I don't care what someone says but Martinez is not the right QB to have back throwing the football very often. With that said, what is Taylor's strength? Oh that is right running the football.... THEN FREAKING DO IT!!!!

If I wanted to watch us throw the ball more times than not I can go watch Washington State or Texas Tech but of course I don't want to. Apparently focusing on the run isn't a bad thing to tOSU, KSU or Bama?