It's not just a game!

HuskerMoon

LMAO, I am trying to imagine what Husker Moon looks like. If his car has 1 million Husker stickers on it. His front yard has the Husker flag out. He only has red clothes and the N on every thing. He has stalked the Campus to get each individual football players autograph and tell them how great they are. . Again, Mental illness are people like you and the tree poisoning guy in Alabama. Again not that serious!

I doubt he's like that at all. I'd imagine he's mid to late 20s or early 30s. Just getting established in the work force, maybe a young family also getting established. In those circumstances, tying one's identity to a team like the Huskers is pretty common. I speak from experience. I was that way in the 80s. If we lost, I couldn't pick up the paper off the porch and my week was ruined till around Wednesday. I know I bagged on Huskermoon earlier in this thread, perhaps too hard. But it is also from experience when I say, it is just a game and it should not effect your life. The sooner one can get to that point, the better. And it doesn't mean you've lost your fanhood nor your passion, it means you've gained perspective.

LMAO, I am trying to imagine what Husker Moon looks like. If his car has 1 million Husker stickers on it. His front yard has the Husker flag out. He only has red clothes and the N on every thing. He has stalked the Campus to get each individual football players autograph and tell them how great they are. . Again, Mental illness are people like you and the tree poisoning guy in Alabama. Again not that serious!

*gasp* How did you know?... Don't give up my secret stalking techniques or I'll get banned from campus again. I also don't care what they say.. 50 bumper stickers is a "moderate" amount. Have you ever looked into being a psychological profiler?

I haven't posted since last season and didn't really plan to post much this year, very busy life. I have been getting quite a chuckle out of the meltdown going on today. I love my Huskers, but let's put this in perspective, I am married and I have 4 kids, (my oldest has autism) both my wife and I work and I am going back to school. It is JUST A GAME, taking care of my family and providing for them is what matters. I enjoyed watching the game last night even though we lost, it's football, someone will lose. I am 43 and remember the glory years quite well, but I don't see anything worth getting this worked up over. I will probably get flammed by some, that's ok, but seriously, passion for a team is one thing, but when it effects your entire life, you need to seriously back away! GO BIG RED!!!

• Fire 1

Wow! get a grip...

My friend, it is simply a game and nothing more.

There are far, far more important things in life than whether your favorite team is winning or loosing. Does that mean I am too ashamed of my Alma mater and their wonderful traditions to care or discuss the loss in depth with others, or that I am in someway a lesser fan? No, absolutely not! But there are people fighting and dieing in this world for greater causes than an American sport. Yes sport can be viewed as a microcosm of life but is should never EVER be confused for life itself. There are far too many things to enjoy in this lifetime for you to waste your time reacting to a loss by your favorite team in the ways you mentioned. Does sport bring people together? Yes, and that is a wonderful and righteous thing, but the second you make the following statement you've taken it too far.

I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are to simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people.

Maybe things have been put into perspective for me this week because of events that have affected people I know and care about, but life is too short to get upset about these kinds of things. It's better to enjoy the times where these games bring us together as family and friends than it is to fly into a fit of rage over a loss. Some people don't even have the opportunity to enjoy a game anymore, win or lose, and that is simply more tragic than any loss the Husker could ever suffer. And quite frankly I think it's pretty selfish to abuse your privileged of watching games by taking your aggression out on people and property.

• Fire 1

Every time Nebraska loses I get to hear this lie. "Oh well... It's just a game." If you say this following a Nebraska loss then there are only a handful of reasons you are saying it. Denial, Mental Illness, Lack of true Husker born and bred passion, or finally your priorities are out of whack.

Friend, it IS just a game, and this is a huge problem with you and many others in the fan base. You can care without letting it ruin your day, you can care without letting affect your attitude, you can care while being rational.

It's all about attitude. I'm with many of you - I feel that Pelini hasn't hit the level many of us expected him to hit. The talent at key positions - underwhelming, the focus level during adversity - pathetic, the assistant coaching hires - questionable, albeit not terrible. However, there's a time and place for everything, and people should logically formulate their opinions rather than make rash predictions and statements without thinking things through.

And this isn't about passion or apathy. There are several posters on here who care just as much, if not more, about the Huskers than you. But instead of ranting, they construct well thought out responses to yesterday's game and people have reasoned discussions. That's what we need. We don't need "fire bo!" or any of that other nonsense - not yet, at least.

I love the Huskers, and I always will. But with this being my last year of college, a life to plan, jobs to apply for, and the multitude of other things I have to worry about on a daily basis, the Huskers have become less important. They still matter and I still care, but there are other things in life mate. You can care without being careless.

• Fire 2

Wow! get a grip...

I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are to simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people.

Maybe things have been put into perspective for me this week because of events that have affected people I know and care about, but life is too short to get upset about these kinds of things. It's better to enjoy the times where these games bring us together as family and friends than it is to fly into a fit of rage over a loss. Some people don't even have the opportunity to enjoy a game anymore, win or lose, and that is simply more tragic than any loss the Husker could ever suffer. And quite frankly I think it's pretty selfish to abuse your privileged of watching games by taking your aggression out on people and property.

So let me get this straight. It's selfish of me to break my own chair that I paid for or punch a hole through the drywall in my hallway because someone else in this great big world has lost the capacity to watch a Nebraska game? By that same token it is also selfish for me to shove a Texas fan out of my face for hooping and hollering in my grill while leaving the 1996 Big XII championship game? Or slobberknocking a Colorado fan after spitting on my friend after the 2001 game in boulder? I understand this may an emotional response from you in reference to a recent experience and I empathize with emotional responses but I'm afraid don't share your sentiment and couldn't disagree with you more.

So let me get this straight. i am in Denial, have a Mental Illness, Lack true Husker born and bred passion, or my priorities are out of whack if i don't punch holes in the wall or the nearest bystander if the huskers lose?

hell...take away my husker club membership if that is what it takes to be a husker fan. guess i've spent 50 years cheering for the wrong team by your standards.

Wow! get a grip...

So let me get this straight. It's selfish of me to break my own chair that I paid for or punch a hole through the drywall in my hallway because someone else in this great big world has lost the capacity to watch a Nebraska game? By that same token it is also selfish for me to shove a Texas fan out of my face for hooping and hollering in my grill while leaving the 1996 Big XII championship game? Or slobberknocking a Colorado fan after spitting on my friend after the 2001 game in boulder? I understand this may an emotional response from you in reference to a recent experience and I empathize with emotional responses but I'm afraid don't share your sentiment and couldn't disagree with you more.

Anything that involves the word "Slobberknocking" is okay in my book.

• Fire 1
Wow! get a grip...

Not selfish. Just oversensitive and stupid.

• Fire 1

Enhance.

Thank you for your well thought out articulated response. Unfortunately my "attitude" is not up for debate. My attitude is neither right or wrong. It is what it is. A perspective from life experience that is different and judging by your post, considerably longer than your own. In my life experience I have found that rational and irrational responses are both completely subjective and a matter of individual perspective. There are some situations that merit what some might consider an "irrational" response. It helps make life interesting, helps relieve stress, helps knock people with their face in the cotton candy back into reality. While it may be distasteful, frightening, or even physically painful depending on the circumstance you can rest assured that a lasting and valuable life lesson has been learned, either by myself or those directly impacted.