Defensive changes

lo country

Have a question for those on the board. Any chance that we see some personnel changes next week? What about scheme.

What about the possibility of moving SJB,Smith or Stafford to a role like Super D in 2003. IIRC, he was a safety moved to LB. SJB is at 215-220, Stafford and Smith a little smaller. It would give us a lot more speed at the LB position. David proved you do not have to be "big". Also looking at the roster, Rose, Santos and Roach are on the "smaller" side for typical LB's. Seems like the DL, while getting pushed around, still kept the OL from getting hats on our LB's. Perhaps significantly quicker LB's could blitz quicker, recover faster and sure as heck cover receivers better. Or is it too late to try any of this.

Thoughts?

I've heard several people that are in the know that we have alot of "young" talent on the team. Obviously they aren't playing to help develop them so they understand the defense and offense. So do we put them in and develop them in game time situations or what's the answer there? I don't know if that's right or wrong because there are pro's and con's to both sides of the argument there.

I think it's going to be tough to judge the defense the next few weeks against far less talented opponents. I do agree we need to do something about the LB core. They are too slow and even when they do get to the ball have a tendancy to miss tackles. I think our corners are doing a pretty good job so far with coverage but the safety position is lacking. If I see D. Stafford go in for a big hit and the ball carrier bounce off of him or W. Compton start celebrating before the play is even over I'm going to throw a brick through my tv screen.

I've heard several people that are in the know that we have alot of "young" talent on the team. Obviously they aren't playing to help develop them so they understand the defense and offense. So do we put them in and develop them in game time situations or what's the answer there? I don't know if that's right or wrong because there are pro's and con's to both sides of the argument there.

Lavonte David was thrown in two years ago when Fisher went down and look how that turned out. Sometimes a scheme will only take you so far. Maybe simplifying the D and letting the physical talent shine through would be a better idea.

Lavonte David was thrown in two years ago when Fisher went down and look how that turned out. Sometimes a scheme will only take you so far. Maybe simplifying the D and letting the physical talent shine through would be a better idea.

I agree with you, simplify it and put the speedy, physical, talented players on the field even if they aren't getting the complex defense that is Bo Pelini's defense. What do we have to lose really?

Our DB's are not the problem. Our D linemen can't get off blocks and Compton and Whaley are too slow to run with receivers and runningbacks. If I had a lineup right now based off of who should be playing.

DE - Ankrah

DT - (I dunno they are all pretty bad, I'd almost consider burning Valentine's RS but I wouldn't want too. Take your pick I guess)

DE - Martin

OLB/Hybrid -Cooper

MLB - Compton

MLB - Santos/Whaley/and whatever happend to Roach?

OLB/Nickle - Jackson/Evans, Rose/Santos (why isn't Santos on the field? or am I just not seeing him?

Corner - Green/Stanley-Baptise

Corner - Mitchell/Seisay

Safety - Stafford/Jackson

Safety - Smith/Jackson

The point is our DL is sooooooo soft I'd rather we add another guy somewhere else to compensate for that horrible play and in hopes that Compton and Whaley won't have to run around as much chasing Runningbacks and Receivers and focus more on stuffing the middle and protecting the middle of the field.

I agree with you, simplify it and put the speedy, physical, talented players on the field even if they aren't getting the complex defense that is Bo Pelini's defense. What do we have to lose really?

Washington today even said that they went to RGIII to see what plays he was "comfortable" with and went with those. Makes sense. Simplify to be successful and add on as you go. Hope Bo and Co did some soul searching on the long flight home and realized some changes need to happen.

Our DB's are not the problem. Our D linemen can't get off blocks and Compton and Whaley are too slow to run with receivers and runningbacks. If I had a lineup right now based off of who should be playing.

DE - Ankrah

DT - (I dunno they are all pretty bad, I'd almost consider burning Valentine's RS but I wouldn't want too. Take your pick I guess)

DE - Martin

OLB/Hybrid -Cooper

MLB - Compton

MLB - Santos/Whaley/and whatever happend to Roach?

OLB/Nickle - Jackson/Evans, Rose/Santos (why isn't Santos on the field? or am I just not seeing him?

Corner - Green/Stanley-Baptise

Corner - Mitchell/Seisay

Safety - Stafford/Jackson

Safety - Smith/Jackson

The point is our DL is sooooooo soft I'd rather we add another guy somewhere else to compensate for that horrible play and in hopes that Compton and Whaley won't have to run around as much chasing Runningbacks and Receivers and focus more on stuffing the middle and protecting the middle of the field.

I agree with a lot of the above. Our DB's are deep. Why not try moving some up into that LB/Hybrid role. Surely can't get any worse.

Can they tackle cause our starters cannot!

Have a question for those on the board. Any chance that we see some personnel changes next week? What about scheme.

What about the possibility of moving SJB,Smith or Stafford to a role like Super D in 2003. IIRC, he was a safety moved to LB. SJB is at 215-220, Stafford and Smith a little smaller. It would give us a lot more speed at the LB position. David proved you do not have to be "big". Also looking at the roster, Rose, Santos and Roach are on the "smaller" side for typical LB's. Seems like the DL, while getting pushed around, still kept the OL from getting hats on our LB's. Perhaps significantly quicker LB's could blitz quicker, recover faster and sure as heck cover receivers better. Or is it too late to try any of this.

Thoughts?

I have suggested the same thing in other threads with Seisay, SJB and Cross as LBs. The NU defense has to get faster.

Thoughts?

How about just a plain old kick in the Azzzzzzzzzzzz starting with the coaching staff on down. You gotta want to win the damned game more than the other team before you start talking about personnel and scheme.

so do the Royals.