Fourth quarter futility: Tmart or Beck ?

Comish

i juuuusst got back from LA and would say it seemed like i would go with beck... i think he could have set taylor free a little more and open things up... just didnt seem right... you could tell from the begining practically however that it was gonna be a long day after the first drive that our defense couldn't stop a rat fart......

i juuuusst got back from LA and would say it seemed like i would go with beck... i think he could have set taylor free a little more and open things up... just didnt seem right... you could tell from the begining practically however that it was gonna be a long day after the first drive that our defense couldn't stop a rat fart......

do you know how elusive a rat fart is? worst temp. job of my life.

Why must it always be Taylor's fault?

I blame:

- Beck's playing calling

- Poor defensive showing

- Poor field position mainly because of a lack of a defense and special teams

- Offensive lineman getting blown up on pass protection

- 3 and 1 and we hand it off to Marrow who's slow as hell

- Maher missing a crucial field goal

I blame:

- Beck's playing calling

- Poor defensive showing

nailed it. even if it would have been taylor's fault, he never had enough time for the play to develop to allow him to properly execute.

Read an article on Hail Varsity here

http://hailvarsity.com/2012/09/tale-of-the-tape-ucla/

Did a great job explaining some of our miscues. Actually speaks to Beck talking to Martinez at half about the way UCLA adjusted against the zone read to have their DE just "crash" the QB. It worked. We had no answer. Martinez commented the DE would just come at AA and him (hard to read?). Said on the safety, he thought/hoped he would bite on AA, but didn't. Great discipline on the DE (stayed with QB no matter what), poor call on Beck's part. Knew their D was dialed in to stop the zone read (after the 92 yrd run) and still went with it.

Just like Wisky, Beck got punched in the mouth and quit. Went all Tom Brady trying to force a square peg (martinez) into a round hole (pocket passer). I think that every Husker fan and like 90% of college football fans know he is not a pocket passer. especially in the face of that pressure. Beck needs to stick with what is working UNTIL THE D STOPS IT ie ditch zone read after they adjusted to crash and adjust quickly when things do not work.

As frustrating as it was watching Taylor somewhat revert during our 4th quarter offensive series, I think some of the questioning needs to be directed at Beck. (Let me state at the outset that I am NOT one of the posters who is going overboard and demanding coaching changes after one subpar outing). But, no one is above a little criticism.

It appears to me that (eerily similar to last year), when we get into MUST drive situations that the play calling goes into panic mode as much as or more as the players trying to execute them. Saturday, we saw how we abandoned the run and went strictly pass the last few forgettable series. That, to me, smacks of panic by Beck as much as by players.

Feel free to disagree……..

I don't know about exact percentages of the blame for Beck versus T-Mart, but I would argue the mistakes (e.g. bad reads/throws) that T-Mart commits are themselves at least 50% attributable to the coaching staff - Bo or Beck - because of the whole square peg, round hole thing. He's not Robert Griffin. If the play calls were more consistently plays that put him in position to succeed, he'd look closer to week 1 more consistently IMO.

With all that said, I vote 110% for Tim Beck simply for calling that play near the end zone which I will not name. These are college kids; college coaches are rewarded handsomely to put them in position to succeed.

Read an article on Hail Varsity here

http://hailvarsity.c...-the-tape-ucla/

Did a great job explaining some of our miscues. Actually speaks to Beck talking to Martinez at half about the way UCLA adjusted against the zone read to have their DE just "crash" the QB. It worked. We had no answer. Martinez commented the DE would just come at AA and him (hard to read?). Said on the safety, he thought/hoped he would bite on AA, but didn't. Great discipline on the DE (stayed with QB no matter what), poor call on Beck's part. Knew their D was dialed in to stop the zone read (after the 92 yrd run) and still went with it.

Just like Wisky, Beck got punched in the mouth and quit. Went all Tom Brady trying to force a square peg (martinez) into a round hole (pocket passer). I think that every Husker fan and like 90% of college football fans know he is not a pocket passer. especially in the face of that pressure. Beck needs to stick with what is working UNTIL THE D STOPS IT ie ditch zone read after they adjusted to crash and adjust quickly when things do not work.

Good post-thanks for sharing.

Of course it's Beck. Martinez will be Martinez, but he shouldn't have had to revert. It was such a 'shame on you' second half on the OC, and I can't even count how many moments there were. C'mon Beck...did you even pay attention to Taylor last year? Yes, he's improved this year, but you're on the road and UCLA is obliterating the purple dinosaur's O-line, and now you think up against the goal-line Taylor all the sudden is Peyton Manning with the Great Wall of China in front of him? How is this not common sense stuff? I shudder to think how Beck would do on 'Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader'?

I sincerely think Beck will figure it out eventually. After all...Nebraska is now 'Learn How To Coach On The Fly University'.

Student-athletes go to Nebraska to learn and play...coaches go to Nebraska to learn how to coach student-athletes to play.

I was watching the game with about 30 people and even the WOMEN were wondering why we didnt run any screens to slow the rush!!! Beck has to be better!!

I also dont think we are deep enough on oline to run as much up tempo as we were. The oline was gassed in the 4th.

I blame:

- Beck's playing calling

- Poor defensive showing

One has to question why you would just stop running the ball when it was working, and the call that resulted in the safety made no sense at all. However, the field position was horrible all game long. It would have been nice, once in a while, to have pinned the bruins deep in their own end and make them punt from near their own goal line. It is hard to win a football game (and it does change play calling) when you are always starting near or behind your own 20 yard line.

Most of that was on Beck with the horrible play calling. Martinez did revert more late in the game, but I have to say I pity anyone that thinks he wouldn't to some extent under pressure right now. People need to understand that Martinez needs actual game time under his belt to continue solidifying his new mechanics. It will take time and it'll be a process.

I also agree that UCLA needs to be given credit. They simply out played and out coached us. It is what it is - we lost and we deserved to lose.