Rex vs Abdullah

HuskerThor

Bo said that they don't want to put Rex out there until he's 100% so if he gets on the field, he's in it for the long haul.

Knees are a weird thing, though...regardless of the severity, you have to 'test and see'....not sure you can just say, "oh, now he's healthy...here's your 30 carries for the game."

Dont get me wrong, rex is awesome one of my favorite huskers ever, but i think abdullah has shown that he is truely a special back. He is only a soph with limited experience and he is ripping teams apart. He is fast, hard to bring down and has good vision. I cant wait to see what he does for us over the next 3 years.

Ps

I agree that Heard looks pretty special too, great 1-2 punch for the next few years.

Dont get me wrong, rex is awesome one of my favorite huskers ever, but i think abdullah has shown that he is truely a special back. He is only a soph with limited experience and he is ripping teams apart. He is fast, hard to bring down and has good vision. I cant wait to see what he does for us over the next 3 years.

Ps

I agree that Heard looks pretty special too, great 1-2 punch for the next few years.

Yup! Aaron green who?

That's a good point, Thor. I hate to bag on Aaron Green, but I'm not missing him one bit.

Rex - known studliness

Ameer - burgeoning talent, future star

Heard - probably slightly behind Ameer, but not by a lot

Imani Cross - Beast Mode Engaged. And he's a freaking Freshman

We have, not only depth, but quality depth at Running Back. I would probably prefer that we have Aaron Green than not have Aaron Green, but over three games, without our studly #1 RB, I'm not missing Green one bit.

I was very impressed with how hard Ameer has run in the UCLA & Arky State games. He's doing well. Heard has shown flashes, but I think he would be a bit better if he hit the hole hard vs feeling his way through. Cross is going to be Mr Dependable. A guy that's durable and is good in the 'march down the field' type of way. Punish the defense. They should play him in the first quarter. Let him beat up the defense a bit then come with the lightning. Of course when Rex gets back it will be the Rex&Ameer show. Those other guys will get their chances next year if the injury bug stays away.

Is there any doubt that Abdullah is going to take carries away from Rex? The guy has rushed for almost 300 yards the last two weeks, and he is going to need his carries. I think there is a decent chance that Rex, and Ameer both go over 1,000 yds this year. Wouldn't that be special!

I really hope he takes carries away from Rex, I really thought we were going to kill him at times last year. Ameer looks great so far, but when we get into conference, Rex's expierience and toughness is going to be needed. Like an earlier poster said, that diamond formation with all three of them in there will be a DC's nightmare. Which back do you key on?

I personally like Abullah back there better than Rex. Nothing against Rex he is a fine running back. To me Abdullah can reverse field with a nice explosive acceleration and catch a defense out of position better than Rex, and he has more over all explosiveness. To me other than that its a push. I think Abdullah is 1/2 step quicker in and out of the cuts.

I do see an advantage in letting Rex get some reps to help keep Abdullah from getting injured.

Rex has the advantage in experience; on trust of the coaches and on ball security. Plus, he can run the wildcat and also throw.

Ameer has had a couple of really good weeks, but right now.............he is no Rex.

(Not a knock on him at all. Glad we have him for three more years)