Student Section

KJ.

it's pretty obvious that the student body can't fill it on a consistent basis.

That's completely wrong. I've spent time in the press boxes over the last three years for some games instead of being in the student section, and the student section fills up for big games. It was an 11 a.m. game against Arkansas State! And as I pointed out above, there were were sizeable gaps over in west stadium, where it looks like you snapped this picture. Don't throw stones in a glass house brosef.

So your definition of consistent is only counting "big" games, and ignoring the lesser games?

Yeah because overselling won't cause anymore of a problem!?

It solves one problem and creates another, but that problem has advantages. Oversell by ~10%, and when ~90% show up to 11am games the section is full. When everyone shows up to see Wisconsin/Michigan, who is going to be the 10% who doesn't get in? Will it be the diehard fans who will be screaming, or will it be the people who come to games to socialize and take duck-face pictures to add on Facebook?

it's pretty obvious that the student body can't fill it on a consistent basis.

That's completely wrong. I've spent time in the press boxes over the last three years for some games instead of being in the student section, and the student section fills up for big games. It was an 11 a.m. game against Arkansas State! And as I pointed out above, there were were sizeable gaps over in west stadium, where it looks like you snapped this picture. Don't throw stones in a glass house brosef.

So your definition of consistent is only counting "big" games, and ignoring the lesser games?

Yeah because overselling won't cause anymore of a problem!?

It solves one problem and creates another, but that problem has advantages. Oversell by ~10%, and when ~90% show up to 11am games the section is full. When everyone shows up to see Wisconsin/Michigan, who is going to be the 10% who doesn't get in? Will it be the diehard fans who will be screaming, or will it be the people who come to games to socialize and take duck-face pictures to add on Facebook?

It will be the people who come to games to socialize. If they don't think there'll be more people wanting to get into the "big" games, and show up later, then they deserve to not get in at all.

It will be the people who come to games to socialize. If they don't think there'll be more people wanting to get into the "big" games, and show up later, then they deserve to not get in at all.

Right because everyone who comes to the game late is only there socialize... I've had to show up late for games before because of work, or a group meeting for class, and various other things. Over selling is just a dumb idea and would be more bad PR for an athletic department that students aren't the fondest of anyways.

This is really a non issue in my opinion, and it was only exaggerated by the new tickets exchange. Most college kids have a good time on Friday nights and when you're out past 2am it's kind of hard to get up for and 11am game against an inferior opponent, especially when the previous week was a major let down. In years past people would just be able to hand their ticket off to a friend with an N card if they decided not to go last minute, but it doesn't seem like it's that easy/efficient anymore. I think this is on the athletic department more than the students.

• Fire 1

Right because everyone who comes to the game late is only there socialize... I've had to show up late for games before because of work, or a group meeting for class, and various other things. Over selling is just a dumb idea and would be more bad PR for an athletic department that students aren't the fondest of anyways.

This is really a non issue in my opinion, and it was only exaggerated by the new tickets exchange. Most college kids have a good time on Friday nights and when you're out past 2am it's kind of hard to get up for and 11am game against an inferior opponent, especially when the previous week was a major let down. In years past people would just be able to hand their ticket off to a friend with an N card if they decided not to go last minute, but it doesn't seem like it's that easy/efficient anymore. I think this is on the athletic department more than the students.

They already do it to an extent.

Here at Iowa State we use our ISU cards and do the same type of deal, but you can print off a copy of your ticket to use or sell or whatever. It's free unless you have to print at the library and have used all of your printer usage I would hope UNL would do the same sort of thing. Also just because I'm here I got season tickets for the Cyclones and I don't ever want to go back to Jack Trice, very bad sportsmanship, not loud at all (even the student section), and just not a fun atmosphere. It sure makes me miss Memorial Stadium, hopefully I get there later this year.

I say we do away with student seating altogether. T.O. has already pushed them back into the stratosphere where their impact on crowd noise is marginal at best, let's just get rid of the tuition-payers and set up a big-screen in a barn outside of Lincoln and make them watch it there...but charging them for tickets to get into the barn, of course.

This way, we can get more big $$$ donors into those seats who are also getting the last of the Social Security pay-outs (helped, of course, by the students watching the game in the barn who had to get part-time jobs to help pay for tuition to the school and be rewarded by earning the right to buy tickets to watch the Huskers play via a big-screen in a barn. "Damn it...what is that smell?")

Also, do away with kids. There is nothing worse than kids at a game. It is appalling trying to talk to your stock broker during the duration of the game, or take your 26 mid-afternoon pills to keep you inhaling oxygen into your 97-year old body than damn kids doing nothing but yelling and asking questions about what is going on on the field. "Daddy! Taylor just ran into the endzone! Can I clap now?" "No, son...the last time you clapped Gertrude sitting behind you almost had a panic attack and had to use her inhaler. Just sit there and be quiet. You can clap when we get home." Memorial Stadium now sounds like if a deep cave at the deepest part of the ocean was a person, it'd have a library and a morgue as earplugs.

So now that everyone under the age of 45 has been eradicated (because parents can't leave their kids at home, right?), now we can just get rid of the football altogether. The final plan of Memorial Stadium being turned into the largest rest home has arrived. The president of the USA commends Nebraska on having the most money concentrated into the quietest place on earth...and asks for help from them to pay off the deficit.

Problem solved.

• Fire 3

I say we do away with student seating altogether. T.O. has already pushed them back into the stratosphere where their impact on crowd noise is marginal at best, let's just get rid of the tuition-payers and set up a big-screen in a barn outside of Lincoln and make them watch it there...but charging them for tickets to get into the barn, of course.

This way, we can get more big $$$ donors into those seats who are also getting the last of the Social Security pay-outs (helped, of course, by the students watching the game in the barn who had to get part-time jobs to help pay for tuition to the school and be rewarded by earning the right to buy tickets to watch the Huskers play via a big-screen in a barn. "Damn it...what is that smell?")

Also, do away with kids. There is nothing worse than kids at a game. It is appalling trying to talk to your stock broker during the duration of the game, or take your 26 mid-afternoon pills to keep you inhaling oxygen into your 97-year old body than damn kids doing nothing but yelling and asking questions about what is going on on the field. "Daddy! Taylor just ran into the endzone! Can I clap now?" "No, son...the last time you clapped Gertrude sitting behind you almost had a panic attack and had to use her inhaler. Just sit there and be quiet. You can clap when we get home." Memorial Stadium now sounds like if a deep cave at the deepest part of the ocean was a person, it'd have a library and a morgue as earplugs.

So now that everyone under the age of 45 has been eradicated (because parents can't leave their kids at home, right?), now we can just get rid of the football altogether. The final plan of Memorial Stadium being turned into the largest rest home has arrived. The president of the USA commends Nebraska on having the most money concentrated into the quietest place on earth...and asks for help from them to pay off the deficit.

Problem solved.

Guess we might just as well eat the children and the elderly too...heh heh.

Students jam in closer together at the front. Where I sit I don't technically have a seat. I stand in front of my seat the whole game while someone else stands on my seat. At halftime, I just continue to stand or sit on the railing.

Also, when I sat in South Stadium there would be 10 people shoved into "6 seats."

This is why there are gaps.

• Fire 2

They already do it to an extent.

That's questionable, but let's say they do. You want to exacerbate the problem even more then, is that what I'm reading?

It was an 11 a.m. game against an opponent we should have taken to the shed, KJ. You're exaggerating a non-issue IMHO.

Furthermore, it looks like you snapped this stadium from west, correct? Whether you did or didn't, all the other precious parts of Memorial Stadium had sizeable gaps I could see from where I was sitting in east. Some of the students were not the only ones missing at kickoff.

Without the students, Memorial Stadium becomes less of an intimidating place to play than it already is. And your oversell idea isn't any better because it exacerbates the issue by creating new ones.

Deedsker brings up a good point, too. When you sit in the student section, you cram in as close as possible as close to the front as possible.. It's not like the rest of the stadium where everyone has a physical "seat."

I thought that I already explained this!

11am game (Check)

Partying the night before (Check)

Lame visiting team (Check)

Girls having tickets and not going if 10 of their friend don't also go (Check)

Coming in late (Check)

Lots of students cramming in as close as they can (Check)

Look, not everyone is super fan, not everyone has to get into the game 1 hour before kickoff. I have probably gone to one game where I got into the statdium more than 10 minutes early.

• Fire 1