*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

I have a giant honey maple tree in my back yard. Thinking of making maple syrup next year. (I'm about three months too late for this year.) Anyone here ever tried this before? There's a ton of stuff on the Internet about doing it. It doesn't seem too hard.

I have a giant honey maple tree in my back yard. Thinking of making maple syrup next year. (I'm about three months too late for this year.) Anyone here ever tried this before? There's a ton of stuff on the Internet about doing it. It doesn't seem too hard.

What else do you need to do to it besides tap the tree and catch the syrup in a bucket?

What else do you need to do to it besides tap the tree and catch the syrup in a bucket?

That's pretty much it. Just boil it down and filter through a cheesecloth a couple of times. There are a bunch of YouTube vids on the process. Here's a pretty good one: LINK Here's another: LINK

The hardest thing might be to get a large boiling pot that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, get a propane burner that it fits on, and buy (or make) a few taps. I guess I have 8 months or so to obtain these. I might build a crude brick open-top kiln for boiling the pot, and use wood instead of using propane. It would take more fooling around, keeping it stoked and all, but it would be more fun too.

I'm planning to do this with my 5 year-old son. This seems like something that would be fun for a kid to do.

That's pretty much it. Just boil it down and filter through a cheesecloth a couple of times. There are a bunch of YouTube vids on the process. Here's a pretty good one: LINK Here's another: LINK

The hardest thing might be to get a large boiling pot that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, get a propane burner that it fits on, and buy (or make) a few taps. I guess I have 8 months or so to obtain these. I might build a crude brick open-top kiln for boiling the pot, and use wood instead of using propane. It would take more fooling around, keeping it stoked and all, but it would be more fun too.

I'm planning to do this with my 5 year-old son. This seems like something that would be fun for a kid to do.

Yeah, that doesn't sound too difficult. Does the syrup taste different from a honey maple vs other kinds?

Yeah, that doesn't sound too difficult. Does the syrup taste different from a honey maple vs other kinds?

Ha ha! I dunno. Ask me one year from now. :lol:

What I should do right now is scope out the woods for a couple other maple trees that I could tap. There's a lady at my church with about 40 acres of woods behind her house. She lets me cut firewood there. I'm sure she would let me tap a couple maple trees too.

Ha ha! I dunno. Ask me one year from now. :lol:

What I should do right now is scope out the woods for a couple other maple trees that I could tap. There's a lady at my church with about 40 acres of woods behind her house. She lets me cut firewood there. I'm sure she would let me tap a couple maple trees too.

Make sure you check the holes for squirrels before you start "tappin" away!!

Principal caught in car with shirt unbuttoned, smoking marijuana with student, police say

By Kate Jacobson Sun Sentinel

A local charter high school principal was caught in the back seat of a car, shirt unbuttoned, smoking marijuana with one of her students, police said. North Palm Beach police arrested Krista Morton, 45, a principal at Mavericks High School, and an 18-year-old student after they got a call about suspicious people in a car, according to a police report.

LINK

The article didn't say they were having sex. But it seems like that happens all the time. And people always get all up in arms about it. But the thing is, high school teachers having sex with their students has been going on, like, forever. Is there anyone who went to high school and *didn't* know about a teacher having sex with a student? There were a couple of situations in my high school. [/size][/background]

Inside Fidel Castro’s luxurious life on his secret island getaway
By Juan Reinaldo SanchezMay 10, 2015 | 6:00am
For 17 years, Juan Reinaldo Sanchez served as bodyguard to Fidel Castro. But when he became disillusioned with the Cuban dictator’s hypocrisy and tried to retire in 1994, Castro had him thrown in prison. Sanchez made 10 attempts to escape the island, finally making it to the US in 2008. Now he reveals all in his new book, “The Double Life of Fidel Castro.” In this excerpt, Sanchez exposes “El Jefe’s” privileged life. To Cubans, Fidel Castro presents himself as a man of the people, claiming to make only 900 pesos a month (about $38) and owning no property other than a modest “fisherman’s hut” somewhere on the coast.
<snip>
In truth, El Jefe is worth hundreds of millions and owns 20 properties, including a chalet where he goes duck hunting every year and a private marina in the Bay of Pigs.

A few years ago I took an interest in Cuba and Fidel Castro and read half a dozen books on the topic. This book looks like a must-read for me.

I have a theory that a number of ultra rich, influential Americans own significant holdings in Cuba. Even though it's against U.S. law. Sure, there will still be plenty of investment opportunity there when America takes it's jackboot off of Cuba's neck and the country finally opens up. But it'll sort of be when the sooners rushed into Oklahoma to lay claim to free land. When the fastest ones got to the choice spots they found that others had somehow miraculously beat them there, and staked out the choicest of claims. (tinfoil hat theory)