*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

I invented an indoor golf game that I've been playing with my four year old son the past few days: Golf putting tag. We play it on an 8'x10' oriental rug that's decent for putting. One guy is "it", and the other guy has to putt to keep away from him. Alternate putts. If the "it" guy can hit the other guy's ball, then that guy becomes "it". We set up little obstacles (toys) on the carpet to make it more interesting. If either guy putts off the carpet then he becomes (or stays) "it". To make it more fair I give the little guy two putts when he is "it" and chasing me. It's pretty even then. He can usually putt to my ball within two strokes, even around toys and sech. LOL :lol:

• Fire 3
Railroads created the first time zones in 1883
<snip>
The need for continental time zones stemmed directly from the problems of moving passengers and freight over the thousands of miles of rail line that covered North America by the 1880s. Since human beings had first begun keeping track of time, they set their clocks to the local movement of the sun. Even as late as the 1880s, most towns in the U.S. had their own local time, generally based on “high noon,” or the time when the sun was at its highest point in the sky. As railroads began to shrink the travel time between cities from days or months to mere hours, however, these local times became a scheduling nightmare.

So in 1880, before time zones, I guess you'd need to set your wind-up pocket watch to the local time zone. When you traveled, for every 200 miles west you went you'd need to set your pocket watch earlier by 10 minutes or so. Maybe that's why towns had bells ringing the time every hour.

<snip>
The need for continental time zones stemmed directly from the problems of moving passengers and freight over the thousands of miles of rail line that covered North America by the 1880s. Since human beings had first begun keeping track of time, they set their clocks to the local movement of the sun. Even as late as the 1880s, most towns in the U.S. had their own local time, generally based on “high noon,” or the time when the sun was at its highest point in the sky. As railroads began to shrink the travel time between cities from days or months to mere hours, however, these local times became a scheduling nightmare.

So in 1880, before time zones, I guess you'd need to set your wind-up pocket watch to the local time zone. When you traveled, for every 200 miles west you went you'd need to set your pocket watch earlier by 10 minutes or so. Maybe that's why towns had bells ringing the time every hour.

As late as 1990 or so Madison Nebraska blew a siren @ 8, 12, 1 and 5 to tell workers to go to work, lunch hour and go home

<snip>

LINK

As late as 1990 or so Madison Nebraska blew a siren @ 8, 12, 1 and 5 to tell workers to go to work, lunch hour and go home
Pretty sure Fort Calhoun still has one at noon.

<snip>

Dang. I'm getting cheated with only one at Noon and 5.... :(

A new theory for why the bees are vanishing
Updated by Brad Plumer on March 9, 2015, 11:20 a.m. ET www.vox.com

<snip>

In a recent review paper for Science, a team of researchers argue that the combination of modern stresses facing bees seem to be much deadlier than is often appreciated. Pesticides alone might not be enough to wipe out bee colonies, but studies have shown that they can make bees more susceptible to invasive parasites. Poor nutrition can lead bumblebees to succumb to disease. Fungicides and pesticides are more potent together than in isolation.

LINK

As I was pulling out of the driveway this morning there was a city crew down the street cutting down a large, dead maple tree. They let me fill my pickup truck heaping full of four and five foot long dried out logs, mostly around 8" to 10" in dia. I turned around and dumped them off in my backyard, to be cut and split later. That'll be enough firewood to last halfway through next winter. SCORE!! :lol:

• Fire 3

Sanitation Worker Given 30 Days In Jail for Picking Up Trash Too Early

A sanitation worker in an Atlanta suburb has been sentenced to 30 days in jail for working too early.

Kevin McGill had been working for only a few months for a company contracted to do sanitation work in Sandy Springs when he was cited for picking up trash just after 5 a.m. one morning, according to WSB-TV.
That violated a city ordinance which limits trash pickup to between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. The statute is in place because residents have complained that early pick-up disrupts their sleep.
When McGill showed up to court to answer the citation, Sandy Springs prosecutor Bill Riley sought the maximum punishment against him — 30 days in jail.

Sanitation Worker Given 30 Days In Jail for Picking Up Trash Too Early

A sanitation worker in an Atlanta suburb has been sentenced to 30 days in jail for working too early.

Kevin McGill had been working for only a few months for a company contracted to do sanitation work in Sandy Springs when he was cited for picking up trash just after 5 a.m. one morning, according to WSB-TV.
That violated a city ordinance which limits trash pickup to between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. The statute is in place because residents have complained that early pick-up disrupts their sleep.
When McGill showed up to court to answer the citation, Sandy Springs prosecutor Bill Riley sought the maximum punishment against him — 30 days in jail.

I guess the judge realized what an ass he was being. He reduced the one month sentence to time served as of today. So the guy only had to spend the night in jail. LINK

Police: Masterson admitted to using pipe to kill man
Posted: Feb 03, 2015 5:18 PM CST by Don O'Brien
A Quincy police detective testified Tuesday that a Quincy man accused of first-degree murder admitted to using a black lead pipe to kill a man Dec. 13. Quincy detective Adam Gibson said David W. Masterson told him as the two spoke in Masterson's home on the night of the incident that he used a pipe to beat Jason L. Tournear, 41.

Just found out about this last week. I can see that apartment from the back door of my office. It's about 70 yards from my place. A couple years back there was a murder just down the block from that place. Great neighborhood I'm in, huh?

Who has a lead pipe lying around anyway? I don't think I've ever seen a lead pipe. LOL

Another guy killed about 200 yards from my office a couple days ago. A 24 year old guy in a high speed chase through town, trying to outrun the cops. He flew past my corner office building (late night; I was not in my office), down the block, then lost control and smashed into a brick building. Killed him instantly. From my desk right now I can see the plywood being used to temporarily replace the plate glass window that he smashed into. I guess he was trying to outrun the cops because he was driving on a suspended license and would have been thrown in jail if they'd caught him. Pretty sad situation really.

A couple months ago a guy got shot and killed about four or five blocks in the other direction. Weird, wild stuff. It's enough to drive a fella to drink. (Which may have caused these things in the first place. LOL)