11AM (CT) Presser today

Saunders

More than a little concerned with the timing of this. Big game coming this weekend, start of conference play, and suddenly with no prior warning there's a presser scheduled.

Please let this just be Tom wanting to ride off into the sunset, and it's been the plan to announce it now all along. Holding my breath that this isn't a health concern.

I can see the people who are nervous for bad timing, but i also see it in the other direction as well....there will most likely be a tribute/announcement before the game which will turn the stadium into a frenzy of tears and cheering and energy...the players will come out amped and WANT to win for this man...They will want to lay everything on the lines to win for Tom, he has that kind of meaning to these players...just like in 97' when we supposedly outmatched against tennessee and we destroyed them for Tom's last game...i believe these players will play for Tom on saturday.

totally this. You can bet your ass there will a special presentation of some sort before the game, as in right before kickoff that will probably bring out the best in emotions from anyone who has any knowledge whatsoever of the man. Im really glad i found tickets now, it's gonna be a special night I think.

During Harvey's time at the microphone today, he said something that made me scratch my head a bit.

He said we should all respect Tom's reasons for leaving the AD post.

Which made me think, "Why wouldn't we respect his reasons?"

And then I thought about it again, and the question seemed even more valid.

Today, after hearing about the news of the conference and the immeidate speculation that TO might retire, I thought the timing seemed a bit weird. We are just about to start conference play. There's a big game on Saturday. TO would not make a distraction by pointing a finger toward himself.

Ok, now, here comes the potentially crazy part.

We all know that there is some uncertainty, due to the UCLA result, about how we might perform in league play. It is possible that we could go on a slide.

Tom must have comunicated to the boosters that he has patience with Bo and wants to give him every chance to succeed.

Maybe the boosters feel that, given certain outcomes, they would like to make a change at HC, but would be somehow hamstrung by Tom's reluctance to go along with it.

Maybe the boosters would, in the situation of a coach replacement, want to go after a splashy hire for more money and fear that Tom would be against it.

Encouraging TO to retire now, before there are any bad results on the football field, would make it look better for the boosters. No one would feel that they are throwing out a legend because the football program is struggling.

If we suck in league play now, they can say that TO was on his way to retirement already and avoid any appearance that his leaving had anything to do with the results of 2012 football games.

Does any of this hold water? Or do I have a very over active imagination?

That is very active...and I'm not so sure what you're seeing in the rest of the B1G that makes you think we will be stomped. All of the B1G looks BAD.

First off, our offense is the best it's been in years. If we can get our defense up to task(which it looks like we are trying to do with playing more athletic guys even if they are younger), which you have to trust Bo to do now. I highly doubt it has anything to do with Boosters wanting Bo out, etc. TO don't play that homie.

More than a little concerned with the timing of this. Big game coming this weekend, start of conference play, and suddenly with no prior warning there's a presser scheduled.

Please let this just be Tom wanting to ride off into the sunset, and it's been the plan to announce it now all along. Holding my breath that this isn't a health concern.

I can see the people who are nervous for bad timing, but i also see it in the other direction as well....there will most likely be a tribute/announcement before the game which will turn the stadium into a frenzy of tears and cheering and energy...the players will come out amped and WANT to win for this man...They will want to lay everything on the lines to win for Tom, he has that kind of meaning to these players...just like in 97' when we supposedly outmatched against tennessee and we destroyed them for Tom's last game...i believe these players will play for Tom on saturday.

totally this. You can bet your ass there will a special presentation of some sort before the game, as in right before kickoff that will probably bring out the best in emotions from anyone who has any knowledge whatsoever of the man. Im really glad i found tickets now, it's gonna be a special night I think.

They won't do anything before this game. Too short of notice. I'd say possibly before Meechicken game though, otherwise it won't be until last home game of the year.

First off, our offense is the best it's been in years. If we can get our defense up to task(which it looks like we are trying to do with playing more athletic guys even if they are younger), which you have to trust Bo to do now. I highly doubt it has anything to do with Boosters wanting Bo out, etc. TO don't play that homie.

Agreed. And all facility projects are in order, changes have been made in baseball and men's basketball that will require 4-5 years to evaluate, everything is pretty well taken care of financially, there just doesn't appear to be much of anything that needs to be done.