The Legacy of Tom Osborne

knapplc

A very humble thank you to a man that not only is a legend in his accomplishments but in my opinion is even more of a legend in the way he went about it. Faith, honesty, integrity, always believe in the good in people, and a belief in that there is a larger goal than self. We've all learned from Dr. Osborne. In this day and age we would all be well-served to slow down and take a look at the grace with which he handled everything he was involded in.

In the deed the glory indeed, Tom! A tip of the cap and a sincere thank you. All the best in your retirement!

SUPERBUNNY

• Fire 1

I think it's easy to quantify Tom Osborne - three championships, 255 wins, all the construction projects he helped streamline, etc. The one thing that really sticks out to me though is how he made Nebraska an important program in the college football world for 25 years, and then did it again as an AD. When he was head coach, we were always in the conversation for a big season. As AD, his leadership and fortitude put us into a conference that really benefited us all around.

That's what I'll remember most about him, not his victories, not his championships, but his unwavering leadership, kindness, and prowess in Nebraska.

When you ask anybody on the street what is the one thing that embodies all that is Nebraska football, and Nebraska athletics in general, that response is "Tom Osborne".

When a single person is the driving force behind an entire athletic program, it means he has done more than just win on the field as a coach. Sure the national title run is incredible. But doing it the right way--with faith, honor, integrity--is a feat that only a few men have achieved. In a day of shortcuts, TO always chose the correct road. Despite the decisions not bringing us the immediate success that some fans had hoped for, TO will leave the program in a substantially better condition than it was when he returned. All in 5 years. Every area is producing talent, on the field/court/etc and in the classroom.

He will be missed. You don't lose that and move on, Husker Nation thanks you Dr. Tom Osborne, for all that you have done.

Hopefully there is some sort of recognition during the Wisconsin game.

Wasnt Crouch already here in 97? Wasn't he a redshirt freshman playing in 98? I only think of this because of all the hubbub about Cody Green being the first true freshman starting QB since Frazier, and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Not to take away from his accomplishments, but Osborne only had one Heisman winner, Rozier.

Make that 2, he recruited Crouch.

I know it's irrelevant to the discussion in way since Crouch won the Heisman under Solich, but I'm still curious if I'm right here. Can anyone confirm?

Wasnt Crouch already here in 97? Wasn't he a redshirt freshman playing in 98? I only think of this because of all the hubbub about Cody Green being the first true freshman starting QB since Frazier, and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Not to take away from his accomplishments, but Osborne only had one Heisman winner, Rozier.

Make that 2, he recruited Crouch.

I know it's irrelevant to the discussion in way since Crouch won the Heisman under Solich, but I'm still curious if I'm right here. Can anyone confirm?

yes, I am. Just found it, per wikipedia. "Ankle surgery forced Crouch to redshirt for the 1997 co-national championship-winning season."