meltdown thread

Malth

Just because I don't support Bo, that does not make me a bad fan. There were plenty more who didn't support Callahan. And as we continue to get outclassed and embarrassed against anyone half way deacent, more people will see the the truth about Bo too. Until then, the rest of you can keep your heads burried and standards low. And all those of us who are realists can hope for is more bad losses so this joke of a Pelini experiment can be over!!!

Bingo. I have supported Bo, but the time comes when you have to wonder if the excuses have merit, or are genuinely indicative of a greater, holistic problem. After tonight, I think it's safe to attribute to the latter. This is year 5, YEAR 5, yet we continue to make the same errors in fundamentals, and problems even a football novice could spot on TV are seemingly not addressed. We have players starting on our defense right now who just aren't hacking it, and honestly would be lucky to start for Peru State. So the answer is just keeping these guys in and sticking with the same scheme? Is there really no one else that can have a shot or could do better? If something isn't working, what makes anyone think it's somehow going to work eventually? Do you wait until you're down by 4 scores to switch a scheme up? Is it really going to hurt to try someone or something different ? Football, especially in this day and age, requires the ability to react and adjust quickly. If you or unable or are too stubborn to do this, then you need to find another avenue for your energies.

Think about this: We have gone from year 2 of Pelini, having the best defense in the land, to having one of the worst defenses in school history in year 5. Wasn't this what he was brought in to primarily address? How does this happen with a professed "defensive genius?" Apologists will say the talent level is to blame, which I will agree with to an extent, but if that's a problem in year 5 of a coaching regime, it's hard for me to have much sympathy. Especially when you see teams with coaches who have been at their respective schools for a much shorter time, doing much better, and playing sound, fundamental football at places with much humbler tradition and some with geographic limitations just like we have (West Virginia, K-State, Baylor, Iowa State). What you're actually saying, if talent is a problem in year 5, that 1) recruiting is the problem, by proxy and/or 2) poor roster management is the problem. To me it seems more like poor fundamentals, stubbornness and unwillingness to change scheme, loyalty to friends and certain players, roster mismanagement, and bottom line, not having your players ready to play in big games. These should not be problems in year 5. No excuses. And we should not tolerate these problems, make excuses, or accept it. Feels like we've been here before, doesn't it?

Well stated!

What was your other 131 posts about? You've been on here 5 years, what else have you posted?

I know. Cooking recipes! What do you like to cook? I've missed out. Inform me on the latest cuisine.

Why do you have to be so damn negative on anyone that posts something YOU don't like? How about trying something new...like going on to a post that you do like, usually a HOMER that thinks nobodys stuff stinks even when it does, just because they are on the football team or affilieated with it? It is people like you that have made me stop coming on here. I know stink when I smell it, and I am smelling it...not only with you, but with where this football team is. If you don't like it, too damn bad.

Who the hell are you? And obviously you don't have any good recipes, since everything you're smelling stinks.

What was your other 131 posts about? You've been on here 5 years, what else have you posted?

I know. Cooking recipes! What do you like to cook? I've missed out. Inform me on the latest cuisine.

Why do you have to be so damn negative on anyone that posts something YOU don't like? How about trying something new...like going on to a post that you do like, usually a HOMER that thinks nobodys stuff stinks even when it does, just because they are on the football team or affilieated with it? It is people like you that have made me stop coming on here. I know stink when I smell it, and I am smelling it...not only with you, but with where this football team is. If you don't like it, too damn bad.

Who the hell are you? And obviously you don't have any good recipes, since everything you're smelling stinks.

Sorry Bud, but it is your cooking that stinks in this kitchen. And I don't come on here to get recipes...if that is what your looking for, go to Martha Stewart.

There are some similarities and that should be setting off warning bells, these types of blowout losses should not be happening in year 5 of Pelini's tenure and in my opinion is indicative of systemic issues with the program beginning with the man who likes to "point the thumb".

This is not the 1960's or 70's and the logic that we should wait around and give Pelini time ala Osborne does not work, it is a different era of football and back then and NU was not the same "Brand" that it became of TO's run of success..giving Pelini more time at this point is only going to erode our legacy further until we eventually become completely completely irrelevant.

Critical decisions that will profoundly affect the future of this program are looming within the next 1-2 years...I hope the powers that be get it right.

Not a lot of similarities. 2001 CU came out of nowhere. We were the undefeated #1 team in the nation and CU just walloped us from the get-go. I mean they scored at will from the very start of the game: big play after big play. I think it was 28-0 before anybody blinked.

We came out swinging against Ohio State and did some good things. They held steady and got the better of us, by a lot. But at one point we were threatening to break the game open. And ultimately, we lost in a game most of us expected to, against a higher ranked and superior opponent, on the road. It isn't that shocking so I'm a little bit surprised by the measure of panic.

2 very different losses.

I go back a long-long way from being a freshman at NU in 1967 watching practices after class with Bob D. up on the platform yelling at Wayne Meylan (who he called Wayne-o) to get the lead out of his butt and move the sled. D. was not only a great innovator on the field but off in well in hiring Boyd Epley creating the monster offensive and defensive lines for 35 years that gave us our unbelievable successes.

D-father leaving bringing in TO changed the NU hook from strength--which everyone was now copying--to 'goodness'. What parent wouldn't want their blue-chipper under the wing of Dr. Tom?

After TO retired the question in my mind was 'what the heck are we going to do now for our recruiting hook which our population poor state desperately needs.. FS was no hook--it was a managerial mistake to hire the caretaker! I was hoping a African-American assistant coach from the NFL would be given the job to take us to the next level--we needed to take the chance when were a power, but the opportunity passed us by.

What luck I had following NU football from 1962 and the Gotham Bowl until Nov, 23, 2001 the-day-the-music-died in our loss to Colorado. The day NU football entered into its Depression.

Hope now comes in the form of firing head coaches--with the Cubs refrain 'wait till next year' or in the case of NU football 'four years from now'. Well we are now at the point where Bo Must Go? Do we need to fire him bringing in another warm body that will give us four more years of hope--that in the end will not turn out any better (and probably worst) than the last dozen years.

What an incredible run we had, TO said many times that we are spoiled--which we most certainly were. The bar needed to be lowered, the idiot talk of a National Championship let alone a Big Ten at the start of the season was dilusional--lets be happy if we end with a winning season aganist Big Ten foes. Bo saying we have to 'win out' the rest of the games ain' goin' happen--chill out Bo. Give Bo a lifetime contract, deduce the pressure on the poor man, There is no one that at this stage of our Depression that will do us any more good. Today in the WH Tom S. called it a 'sad song that never ends'...and it never will if you think of NU football success in terms of championships for those days are gone. Up until last night we were #22, if we can finish any year #25 or above it will be wonderful!

Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end--but they did.