"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

Callahan is a good coach, but wrong for this organization. His skill set is best for being an offensive coordinator in the NFL. In fact, he's in his first year as the O-line coach for the Dallas Cowboys, where I expect him to do well. He coached the Raiders to an AFC Championship. But he was absolutely the wrong fit for Nebraska football. Hiring a head coach is about much more than finding someone who's talented. It's about finding someone who's a good fit for the organization.

When he's an abysmal failure in Dallas, like he is everywhere else he goes, can we finally put this myth to bed?

He's off to a great start. Fielding arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL with his own hand-picked guys.

This Tennessee Titans fan disagrees with you on "worst offensive line in the NFL" that belongs to my Titans. :P

Now that I've had time to think about it and let my emotions cool off, I can make a coherent post.

I like Bo. I want Bo to be the guy. I can take losing to a more talented team/team with a great quarterback. However, what I cannot take, and most of you will agree, are the meltdown loses. Say we lose by 7 or 10 or 14, I don't think any of us thought we would go into Columbus and win unless we played 100% perfection. But Bo's teams have the ability to make a respectable loss into a complete meltdown disaster.

I thought we had a chance if we did a few things: Contain Miller, which we didn't do after the first quarter. No turnovers, which did not happen. Minimize penalties and do not put us in bad positions, which we did not.

Bo's first few recruiting classes were crap and it's showing now. I know the guys are giving their hardest effort, at least I hope, and I want them to succeed, and I try not to rail on the players but it just isn't working. We got some good players on the sideline and in the recruiting wings, so there is hope for the future. We can take loses. Just look at Nebraska from 1972-1993. 1998-2001. It's okay, we don't expect to go undefeated every year, or every 2 years or go 60-3 in five years.

But we DO expect to at the very LEAST win the division, compete for the Conference title, which gives us a BCS Bowl game shot and an outside shot at the National Title. Those are my expectations at least.

I want Bo to be the guy, but the inability to hire experienced coordinators and the combination of crappy first two recruiting classes are REALLY showing this year and in a bad way. I can take losses. But what I cannot take are the meltdowns on national TV. Those have got to stop. It's just a joke. That and the penalties, mental errors, and Mr. Turnover bug.

The offense has made improvements. Taylor showed heart while having a terrible night. Kenny Bell has amazing hands and the running backs are impressive. We have play-makers on offense but the offensive and defensive lines are terrible. We are too slow on defense and have been for two years. I knew we were in trouble when I saw the Southern Miss game, too slow on defense. We don't tackle well and we can't keep guys in front of us.

I remember a quote from McBride that was posted on here a while ago that summed it up as "if you don't have a defensive [or offensive line] you can go home."

We need: Speed on defense, speed on defense, and more speed on defense. Improve the lines and we are where we need to be. Competing for the Conference title, giving us a shot at a BCS bowl, and an outside chance of a National Title.

But it has to start with Bo admitting faults and make changes whatever it maybe. Scheme, personnel, players on the field, take over the defense completely, make drastic changes in the off-season, or just play the best athletes on defense and hope for the best.

Do we put Stafford at linebacker? Change up the safeties? Where is Andrew Green at? Where is the zone defense? Zone blitzes? Cortney Osborne? Younger athletic linebackers? The defensive line is a mess and I don't think it can be cured during the season. Where are the JUCOs that can make an immediate impact? Seisay anyone?

I don't know what we can do on the defensive line. Martin shows flashes, but no one else really does. Compton can get to the quarterback but he has problems finishing off the play. We need speed on defense and sure tacklers. We continually give up 5 or 6 yards a pop on a run. We get pushed back. We are timid and do too much reading and not enough attacking.

I never thought we'd see a Bo Pelini defense look so inept. But when you don't have the horses, you can't be competitive. I figured at worst, we would be in 2003 mode under Bo. Below average offense but a great defense to keep us in EVERY game. That is not the case anymore. We have talent in some spots, but not enough to be where we need to be. And we have to fix that as soon as possible.

I just hope Bo is the guy that can get it done because if not we will be rebuilding for even longer.

We cannot afford to fire Bo for anything less than consecutive losing seasons or NO ONE will want to come here. That is a fact.

Bo is the guy until we have back to back losing seasons. I just hope he can get it figured out so we don't have to go through it again.

Unless someone has a crystal ball and knows all the answers....

I agreed with what you said, except for this part. I think it's pretty much impossible for us to have back-to-back losing seasons, simply because of our non-conference schedule and the other similar teams in the conference. IMO, back-to-back seasons with 8 wins or less would constitute a change. I also don't agree that "no one" would come here -- money talks.

I don't think it even has to be back to back 8 wins or less seasons with the embarrasments that he's had on national TV. People see how he's been outclassed every time he faces a team with a heartbeat and they know that schools like NU have higer standards than that.

All I gotta say is, we have TWO weeks to prepare for Northwestern and their mobile QB. Two weeks. That game will tell a lot. If we come out flat yet again and can't contain Colter and self-destruct yet again, with the fumbling and turnovers and same old BS (and I really have no reason not the believe that this won't be the case), then I'll be at a complete loss. Then again, I guess it doesn't really matter -- Pelini has had 5 years to prove that he can recruit elite talent, and he hasn't been able to do it. I don't see that changing. Until we get an established recruiter who can lure kids to NU, then we will be stuck with mediocrity and disappointment. We need a coach that kids nationally know of and actually WANT to play for.

Apparently you don't watch Northwestern football to much...Colter is their QB only a handful of the time. Their main QB is Siemian and Colter comes in for certain packages but mostly plays as a receiver.

All I gotta say is, we have TWO weeks to prepare for Northwestern and their mobile QB. Two weeks. That game will tell a lot. If we come out flat yet again and can't contain Colter and self-destruct yet again, with the fumbling and turnovers and same old BS (and I really have no reason not the believe that this won't be the case), then I'll be at a complete loss. Then again, I guess it doesn't really matter -- Pelini has had 5 years to prove that he can recruit elite talent, and he hasn't been able to do it. I don't see that changing. Until we get an established recruiter who can lure kids to NU, then we will be stuck with mediocrity and disappointment. We need a coach that kids nationally know of and actually WANT to play for.

Apparently you don't watch Northwestern football to much...Colter is their QB only a handful of the time. Their main QB is Siemian and Colter comes in for certain packages but mostly plays as a receiver.

Ouch, truth hurts. And Siemian is no where near the athlete/runner as Colter. Better thrower. Colter still isn't 100% healthy from his injury either

This is very true, but we must not forget the way that Callahan treated former players. He lost the support of many followers for this reason.

He lost support because he couldn't win games, no one said a word about how he was treating former players until 2007. If he had us in the top 10 right now he would still be the most popular man in the state.

Wrong, Tom and the former players were undermining him in 2005 with "alternate" golf tourney's at the same time and date the athletic department had theirs. The not winning games had more to do with having to get a ton of JUCO's to try to field a competitive team because he inherited a small and slow team that wasn't able to compete. A majority of those guys graduated and then the 12 (or close to it) man recruiting class of 2004 (5 by Solich) reared it's ugly head and there were no upperclassmen on that team that were any good. Kind of what Bo is going through right now, only this is all of his doing since it's his 5th season.

That was at least as much a protest of Pederson as Callahan. Pedy was the guy who locked everything down like area 51 and wouldn't let former players in the building.

This is very true, but we must not forget the way that Callahan treated former players. He lost the support of many followers for this reason.

He lost support because he couldn't win games, no one said a word about how he was treating former players until 2007. If he had us in the top 10 right now he would still be the most popular man in the state.

Wrong, Tom and the former players were undermining him in 2005 with "alternate" golf tourney's at the same time and date the athletic department had theirs. The not winning games had more to do with having to get a ton of JUCO's to try to field a competitive team because he inherited a small and slow team that wasn't able to compete. A majority of those guys graduated and then the 12 (or close to it) man recruiting class of 2004 (5 by Solich) reared it's ugly head and there were no upperclassmen on that team that were any good. Kind of what Bo is going through right now, only this is all of his doing since it's his 5th season.

Yeah Tom and former players did but nobody in the athletic department gave a sh#t, fan support was also very high for Callahan following the end of '05 and through the '06 season. Then we got blown out by USC and Oklahoma State and all the news about the treatment of former players came to light.... His fate had already been sealed by that point.

We can't be 'multiple.' Just won't work. If we can't average more than 4 yds a carry, we will continue to miss even playing for a conference title. Been a tough decade, but we're still here. In red, selling out that flipping stadium.

Our offense is very, very good this year. Being "multiple" is working very well. Turnovers and defense are the problem.

^^^^ Que?

I just had no idea that Colter wasn't their starting QB. None. At all. :lol:

He probably see's about 50% of the snaps at QB. When he's not taking the snaps he's lined up at receiver or somewhere on the field to find ways to get him the ball anyway.

I'd be surprised if he didn't take most of the snaps against Nebraska, however. It would be dumb for him not to.

Callahan is a good coach, but wrong for this organization. His skill set is best for being an offensive coordinator in the NFL. In fact, he's in his first year as the O-line coach for the Dallas Cowboys, where I expect him to do well. He coached the Raiders to an AFC Championship. But he was absolutely the wrong fit for Nebraska football. Hiring a head coach is about much more than finding someone who's talented. It's about finding someone who's a good fit for the organization.

When he's an abysmal failure in Dallas, like he is everywhere else he goes, can we finally put this myth to bed?

He's off to a great start. Fielding arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL with his own hand-picked guys.

This Tennessee Titans fan disagrees with you on "worst offensive line in the NFL" that belongs to my Titans. :P

Now that I've had time to think about it and let my emotions cool off, I can make a coherent post.

I like Bo. I want Bo to be the guy. I can take losing to a more talented team/team with a great quarterback. However, what I cannot take, and most of you will agree, are the meltdown loses. Say we lose by 7 or 10 or 14, I don't think any of us thought we would go into Columbus and win unless we played 100% perfection. But Bo's teams have the ability to make a respectable loss into a complete meltdown disaster.

I thought we had a chance if we did a few things: Contain Miller, which we didn't do after the first quarter. No turnovers, which did not happen. Minimize penalties and do not put us in bad positions, which we did not.

Bo's first few recruiting classes were crap and it's showing now. I know the guys are giving their hardest effort, at least I hope, and I want them to succeed, and I try not to rail on the players but it just isn't working. We got some good players on the sideline and in the recruiting wings, so there is hope for the future. We can take loses. Just look at Nebraska from 1972-1993. 1998-2001. It's okay, we don't expect to go undefeated every year, or every 2 years or go 60-3 in five years.

But we DO expect to at the very LEAST win the division, compete for the Conference title, which gives us a BCS Bowl game shot and an outside shot at the National Title. Those are my expectations at least.

I want Bo to be the guy, but the inability to hire experienced coordinators and the combination of crappy first two recruiting classes are REALLY showing this year and in a bad way. I can take losses. But what I cannot take are the meltdowns on national TV. Those have got to stop. It's just a joke. That and the penalties, mental errors, and Mr. Turnover bug.

The offense has made improvements. Taylor showed heart while having a terrible night. Kenny Bell has amazing hands and the running backs are impressive. We have play-makers on offense but the offensive and defensive lines are terrible. We are too slow on defense and have been for two years. I knew we were in trouble when I saw the Southern Miss game, too slow on defense. We don't tackle well and we can't keep guys in front of us.

I remember a quote from McBride that was posted on here a while ago that summed it up as "if you don't have a defensive [or offensive line] you can go home."

We need: Speed on defense, speed on defense, and more speed on defense. Improve the lines and we are where we need to be. Competing for the Conference title, giving us a shot at a BCS bowl, and an outside chance of a National Title.

But it has to start with Bo admitting faults and make changes whatever it maybe. Scheme, personnel, players on the field, take over the defense completely, make drastic changes in the off-season, or just play the best athletes on defense and hope for the best.

Do we put Stafford at linebacker? Change up the safeties? Where is Andrew Green at? Where is the zone defense? Zone blitzes? Cortney Osborne? Younger athletic linebackers? The defensive line is a mess and I don't think it can be cured during the season. Where are the JUCOs that can make an immediate impact? Seisay anyone?

I don't know what we can do on the defensive line. Martin shows flashes, but no one else really does. Compton can get to the quarterback but he has problems finishing off the play. We need speed on defense and sure tacklers. We continually give up 5 or 6 yards a pop on a run. We get pushed back. We are timid and do too much reading and not enough attacking.

I never thought we'd see a Bo Pelini defense look so inept. But when you don't have the horses, you can't be competitive. I figured at worst, we would be in 2003 mode under Bo. Below average offense but a great defense to keep us in EVERY game. That is not the case anymore. We have talent in some spots, but not enough to be where we need to be. And we have to fix that as soon as possible.

I just hope Bo is the guy that can get it done because if not we will be rebuilding for even longer.

We cannot afford to fire Bo for anything less than consecutive losing seasons or NO ONE will want to come here. That is a fact.

Bo is the guy until we have back to back losing seasons. I just hope he can get it figured out so we don't have to go through it again.

Unless someone has a crystal ball and knows all the answers....

I agreed with what you said, except for this part. I think it's pretty much impossible for us to have back-to-back losing seasons, simply because of our non-conference schedule and the other similar teams in the conference. IMO, back-to-back seasons with 8 wins or less would constitute a change. I also don't agree that "no one" would come here -- money talks.

Yep. Solich getting fired after a 10 win season after having just completely rebuilt his entire staff a year earlier and having one coach (Urban Meyer I think) comment on that being an unrealistic job expectation is nothing even close to reasoning that "no one would want to come here" if we fired Bor for the crap he's trotting out there in year five...whether its 4 wins or 8.

Yes, we are f'ing Nebraska. And we've created such insatiable expectations that no seasoned, established exceptional coach wants anything to do with us. So what's wrong with these guys learning on the job for a few year while we rattle off some 9 and 10 win seasons. I dont see the issue yet. It's a talent gap right now. This year is lead by his first couple of recruiting classes that were not very good(in comparison to what they need to be). That aspect has gotten better. As far as comments at a post game presser, statements like "I wish I knew" I dont lead into too much. I'll wait for the monday presser when he's had time to view film on what actually happened.

That is BS, in my opinion. LSU and Bama and other top-tier teams have the same expecatations (if not higher) and any coach would jump at the chance to coach at those schools. We have to stop making excuses for our shortcomings. Money talks.

The lim-fac IMO is finding a good coach who won't come in and change the entire culture of the program. Callahan tried it and look how that turned out for him.

That's because the good old boy system (Tom and the former players) acted like spoiled kids that didn't get what they wanted and undermined him. I hope they do not do that to the new AD and whoever he picks to replace Bo.

Incorrect. Callahan failed for the same reason Bo is failing now. Too much blind loyalty. If Callahan had fired Cosgrove after the '06 season, and brought in a good DC, and let the DC pick his assistants, he may still be here. But his loyalty to Cosgrove cost him his job.

You are so right

Husker_X, I love your posts. They're always insightful and a fun read. You're spot on in your analysis this time, too. It has gotten to the point where I've come to expect the breakdowns, turnovers, and fundamentals errors we have consistently made over the past few years. Like you, I came into this season with no expectations. Hoping for the best, but suspecting much worse.

It's like the entire mentality of the program has shifted. The confidence is gone when we step out on the field. We wither under the bright lights and the expectations in nearly all the "big time" games we play. And the worst part is, we do it to ourselves because of those breakdowns, turnovers, and fundamentals errors. I've been optimistic about Pelini & Co. for every season up until this one, but this comes down to coaching and strategy decisions (who to recruit, who to promote, who to play). The consistency in our shortcomings the past 2-3 seasons signals coaching problems. It's time for Pelini to clean house.

Because we're f*&^ing Nebraska

We stopped being Nebraska the second Dr. Tom retired.

Every single poster on this board now knows this. It is completely, absolutely, 100% over. We had our fun in the nineties.

We're now worse than irrelevant; we're a laughing stock. The fact that the line on Saturday's game was 3.5 and we lost by 75 points...just terrible. I'd like to send out a hearty F*CK YOU to those solely responsible for bringing on our group of junior/senior defensive starters. Beyond pathetic.