"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

Forget winning the division. There's no logical reason to think it will happen. Forget the title. That won't happen either. What did happen (or is happening, I should say), is Nebraska has been completely exposed. Every minor fault and crack many decided to ignore in favor of fantasies of a psychologically matured, disciplined football team split into canyons. We have massive systemic issues within the program and no amount of excuse-peddling or sunshine-pumping is going to alter that fact. It will continue to prove itself over. . .and over. . .and over. . .until the issue is addressed. It's Groundhog Day at Nebraska as long as self-delusion is the modus operandi.

+1. It's time for the sunshine-pumpers to get their heads out of their asses and face reality. We are going nowhere fast.

Lol!!

Are you eight years old?

Bo' biggest problem isn't coaching, it's recruiting. Especially during the season. Have we had a commit since the season started? If we have, I don't remember it, so if we have, someone please enlighten me. This is what he needs to fix to get NU to the next level. He just like every other coach needs talent. You can't just concentrate on recruiting in the off season and expect to compete nationally. Which is how Frank originally put the program in the toilet in the first place.

More like the alarm has been reduced from flaring red to yellowish orange.

I'm thrilled about the win. The defense looks like it's improving. We're also in one of the worst football conferences and the opponent we beat last night was without its starting quarterback. We're also not out of the woods. We've got four games left, with opponents in Michigan State and Penn State that are good enough to squeak a win over a team that (still) ritualistically self-destructs with turnovers and penalties). Nothing short of a conference championship will move me from the camp of skepticism. We've been here before. There's still plenty of time for another meltdown. There are also some encouraging signs.

It's an interesting sort of selective memory when you beat a mediocre team without the player that accounts for the majority of their offense, it somehow nullifies that one time you got 63 hung on you. I guess we'll just sort of forget about that national embarrassment. In other words, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The team did what it was supposed to last night. The offense was average--and the play calling/use of substitutions (see milk carton running backs) was suspect at times--but the defense stepped it up and we got a convincing win. That's great. Now do it four more times and beat the team you already beat and you've let out plenty of leash for this staff. Implode again--and there's no reason to think it can't happen--and we're right back where we started.

Bitch, whine, moan......blah, blah, blah.

:cry

Bo' biggest problem isn't coaching, it's recruiting. Especially during the season. Have we had a commit since the season started? If we have, I don't remember it, so if we have, someone please enlighten me. This is what he needs to fix to get NU to the next level. He just like every other coach needs talent. You can't just concentrate on recruiting in the off season and expect to compete nationally. Which is how Frank originally put the program in the toilet in the first place.

I disagree with this - both are key elements. As has been evidenced the last two weeks, our defense with our players has been capable of being good or even great, it just hasn't been. It's not as if we brought in some magical new 5 star players, it's the same guys playing at a much higher level.

I disagree with this - both are key elements. As has been evidenced the last two weeks, our defense with our players has been capable of being good or even great, it just hasn't been. It's not as if we brought in some magical new 5 star players, it's the same guys playing at a much higher level.

We have huge issues on both lines, and don't have the talent to compete with the big boys. Therefore not aggressively recruiting during the season is a huge mistake.

More like the alarm has been reduced from flaring red to yellowish orange.

I'm thrilled about the win. The defense looks like it's improving. We're also in one of the worst football conferences and the opponent we beat last night was without its starting quarterback. We're also not out of the woods. We've got four games left, with opponents in Michigan State and Penn State that are good enough to squeak a win over a team that (still) ritualistically self-destructs with turnovers and penalties). Nothing short of a conference championship will move me from the camp of skepticism. We've been here before. There's still plenty of time for another meltdown. There are also some encouraging signs.

It's an interesting sort of selective memory when you beat a mediocre team without the player that accounts for the majority of their offense, it somehow nullifies that one time you got 63 hung on you. I guess we'll just sort of forget about that national embarrassment. In other words, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The team did what it was supposed to last night. The offense was average--and the play calling/use of substitutions (see milk carton running backs) was suspect at times--but the defense stepped it up and we got a convincing win. That's great. Now do it four more times and beat the team you already beat and you've let out plenty of leash for this staff. Implode again--and there's no reason to think it can't happen--and we're right back where we started.

Bitch, whine, moan......blah, blah, blah.

:cry

Seriously? How was this productive to the thread? It's completely unnecessary and given your past warnings you should know better! Folks the B.S. is gonna stop now and enough is enough.

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

The truth hurts, pal. Bo does not have a good national rep at all. I live in Louisiana and Bo coached at LSU, won a championship with them, and all of their fans think he's crazy and has a terrible temper. When I lived elsewhere they felt the same way.

not to back up this sucker up a few pages, but I too live in Louisiana and they LOVE Bo. I mean even after all the great seasons after he left multiple people have told me that "You know, Bo came from us and I wish he was here instead of of ole' xxxxkhead." So if you are basing Bo's tenure at Nebraska on the people of Louisiana's perceptions, you are dead wrong.

Forget winning the division. There's no logical reason to think it will happen. Forget the title. That won't happen either. What did happen (or is happening, I should say), is Nebraska has been completely exposed. Every minor fault and crack many decided to ignore in favor of fantasies of a psychologically matured, disciplined football team split into canyons. We have massive systemic issues within the program and no amount of excuse-peddling or sunshine-pumping is going to alter that fact. It will continue to prove itself over. . .and over. . .and over. . .until the issue is addressed. It's Groundhog Day at Nebraska as long as self-delusion is the modus operandi.

+1. It's time for the sunshine-pumpers to get their heads out of their asses and face reality. We are going nowhere fast.

Lol!!

Are you eight years old?

No, he's all man. So much of a man that he is going to cage fight Moraine at the Southern Miss game next year.

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

The truth hurts, pal. Bo does not have a good national rep at all. I live in Louisiana and Bo coached at LSU, won a championship with them, and all of their fans think he's crazy and has a terrible temper. When I lived elsewhere they felt the same way.

not to back up this sucker up a few pages, but I too live in Louisiana and they LOVE Bo. I mean even after all the great seasons after he left multiple people have told me that "You know, Bo came from us and I wish he was here instead of of ole' xxxxkhead." So if you are basing Bo's tenure at Nebraska on the people of Louisiana's perceptions, you are dead wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think you'll get a response from Kid.

Lol!!

Are you eight years old?

No, he's all man. So much of a man that he is going to cage fight Moraine at the Southern Miss game next year.

Are you sarcastically saying it isn't manly to fight a ... nm, I'm not going to pretend to be offended. I've already confused myself.

We have huge issues on both lines, and don't have the talent to compete with the big boys. Therefore not aggressively recruiting during the season is a huge mistake.

I have to ask, who would you hire if Bo goes?? Please enlighten, b/c you are one of the most negative posters on here and just complain but never offer any support to players or 'that a boys' when they are due. If i were you, i'd find a new team to follow, please!!

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

The season sucks because we're 1-1 in the big ten after losing on the road to a team 10 ranks higher than us and in the other division?

Was hoping to see some perspective and the realization that we're not in a bad position Big 10 wise, except for a relatively tough schedule. Ohio State also beat MSU, making our job easier. We showed we have strength, talent, and can make big plays as well as big mistakes, but this was not a must win game nor were we favored.

I suggest we come back down from the edge, stop acting like Iowa fans- who actually have something to really complain about, and just breathe into a paper bag for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry you apparently missed the game and the press conference afterwards. In your conveniently coy Football-For-Dummies version of what actually happened last night, you forgot to mention that our quarterback 'improved' from bad to miserable, our defense was Cosgrovian in the non-hyperbole sense of the word, and afterwards our coach looked like a guy who just came out of the trenches in World War 1.

My feeling is, this staff as it stands is completely incapable of addressing its problems. Pelini is largely responsible for this. Now, finally, after last night, I think he's beginning the process of coming to terms with it. We're not on the ledge. We've fallen off it. Recognize it. Admit it. If you don't, I hope Bo does, else I fully believe we are sunk.

You're sunk. Gone! I suggest you follow Alabama this year since they're the only team that won't lose a big game under pressure. Any of the other top 10 can and likely will.

OSU is a better team, and Braxton Miller is a better QB. There was no way we were coming out of that stadium with a win unless those two factors didn't bother showing up. Since they did, our turnover problems only made a loss into an embarrassing one. Who the hell cares? I suggest you let go of your personal, posterior pain and sandy nether-region affliction and realize that we're 1-1 in our division, it's early, and the worst game is probably over. I'll admit that our program has its challenges but there is no reason to expect, even hope for out of spite, the same kind of result in any of our remaining games.

This is borderline pathetic. Pelini was hired for the sole purpose of fixing the defense. In the fifth year of his tenure with eight seniors in the unit he had 60+ points hung on him by a completely mediocre team in a pitiful, laughably weak conference. On national TV. A national embarrassment--one in a string, by the way, long enough to wear them like a necklace. What's Jimmy's insight?

Ladies and gentlemen, I kid you not: "Who the hell cares?"

Not you, obviously. Fortunately you're completely beside the point. The question is about Bo. Not whether he cares, but how much. Does he care enough to look inside at his core and see the nepotism that has brought us to this point? Will anyone not named Taylor Martinez be given a legitimate shot to lead this team? Is he capable of examining his defensive scheme and realizing that it's failed? And more importantly than any of those three, if he does find his flaws, is he willing to look for help, and will be the money be there to bring in the people who are actually capable of helping him put this program back on the map? God I hope so.

I repeat: Who the hell cares that we lost to Ohio State, which you called mediocre. There was no reason to expect us to get blown out by any of the remaining teams on our schedule and there still isn't.

Your comment: We're not on the ledge. We've fallen off it. Recognize it. Admit it. If you don't, I hope Bo does, else I fully believe we are sunk.

Also seems particularly silly at this point. Admit it, you lost your own bearings, drank the kool-aide and went on a petulant tirade because we lost a football game we weren't expected to win. We were 1-1 in the big ten, what horror! I think your own idea of 'let's replace Taylor Martinez' is worthy of hall of fame status in the category of 'football for dummies' comments. This isn't just obvious in retrospect- it was pretty lame at the time.

It's been an exciting season. There has been plenty of negative to deal with but no real reason to belittle the team or lose faith. I hope like hell this momentum can continue. None of the next three games are easy- except maybe for Iowa and the moment you expect to beat them easily, bad things happen.

• Fire 2