Rex Burkhead

Anybody have any word on Rex? This is the thing that has me most worried at the moment. Rex is the leader of the team, and while Ameer is growing into an amazing every-down back, losing #22 was a huge morale buster last night.

Rex is the leader of the entire team, and we need him for the remainder of the season.

With that said, watching him go down and get worked on last night made me think that we may never see him trot out onto the field in a Husker uniform again. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me right now.

Anyone have inside news on our Superman?

Have we seen the last of Rex Burkhead? Interesting question. His determination and class and flat-out warrior like ability is second to none. If this is the case here's what happens. We start to see some quick development of Cross and Heard. I hate to say it but Abdullah has been the better back overall this year, probably mostly due to Rex's original injury, but the case nonetheless. He just has that extra quick step that Rex doesnt. Not being able to play will also allow Rex to turn into a coach for them youngsters, as if he hasnt been enough already. Again, all based on if his injury is season threatening, cuz damn I hope not.

Knew when it happened that he was probably done for the season......................we'll find out more on Monday most likely.

I mentioned in another thread the trainers were working on him on the sideline and the sideline reporter mentioned he was in some pain (she said he "winced") if he tried to move laterally. My guess is we'll be lucky to see him back for the bowl game (if we go).

It wouldn't surprise me if he is back but in two weeks but I can't imagine him being 100% the rest of the year, meaning the knee brace is gone and it's not in his head as well. Honestly with the depth we have at RB, I'm more concerned for him to recover for the combines and getting drafted and continuing his career, then coming back and re injuring it later on this season, but I think we all know Rex will try to come back no matter what the news is on his leg.

I guess because of the Bye, we won't have a conference until Tuesday. I am sure that Bo will say he "tweaked" it and will be day to day. Anticipate having him back in 2 weeks........

Kid is the heart and soul of this team. I truly hope that he does come back and that at a minimum, we send him out of here as a winner and offensive MVP of a Bowl game (hopefully BCS).

If he is smart, he would sit out the rest of the season and hope that he can get an invite to the columbine. He doesn't need to re-reinjure his knee again. Glad he didn't take his brace off or it would have even been worse then it is now.

if he's done for the season couldnt he get a medical RS?

Possible, but that would be a really dumb move on his part. Running backs have a limited shelf life as it is, and we took a few years of of Rex the way we used him last season. Another year here could cost him a "long term" NFL career.

In this report on Sunday Bo said that Rex's injury was not major:

"“Rex is OK,” Pelini said. “I don't think it's major. I don't think it's a long-term thing.”

So hopefully he'll rest up during the bye week and HOPEFULLY be back playing some (I'm hoping not a lot!) in the very near future. Hey Rex, know that we're thinking and praying for you!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121006/BIGRED/710069778/1002#notes-rex-injury-not-major-pelini-says

• Fire 1