What can Bo do to regain your support

With all of the Bo stinks posts, I wanted to see what y'all think about ways that BO can gain back support. Not saying folks want to fire Bo, but after Saturdays debacle, his support seems to have taken a hit.

We have had thread after thread about how we stunk, but what can we do to fix it. I have a few suggestions.

One thing that has always annoyed me is the lack of letting the fans feel wanted and or important. Seems petty, but NU fans, IMO, identify to a degree with our success or failures. Across the country, Big Red supports the Huskers and rides an emotional roller coaster like no other fan base. Ahman Green said that NU reminded him of Green Bay with the fans base and support. He loves /loved it there because of that. I would appreciate Bo saying in a presser this week or next that he hopes the NU faithful will be in mass at NW. Say something that even though they might get low on a Sat loss, the next week they are again filling the stadium to full capacity to cheer on their team. Would love to hear some Big Red fans at NW next week. Means a lot to the team and the staff to see the fan support. Knows we play better at home and there is a reason. The atmosphere, unlike any other in college football.

I am also really hoping to see an obvious scheme change. I know that we can not implement a brand new scheme in 2 weeks, but last year he did a great job against MSU with the stand up D line. A very noticeable tweak. Same with Mizzou in 2009 with the "spinner role". I also hope to see a lot of the young kids get meaningful playing time. Rose, Santos, Peat, Alfalva etc.....We need speed. After UCLA, I thought we would make more "permanent" changes, but I was wrong. Allow the athletes to make plays and yes mistakes. IMO, an athlete making a mistake can recover and turn a negative into a positive. A less athletic person turns that mistake into 6 points.

I would like to see a significantly more aggressive D. Put the CB's on an Island and let loose the dogs of war. Let them eat. Send them every series.

I would like to see permanent captains named. Rex, Martinez, Evans, Compton? Guys who by position and continued presence as permanent captains will feel more "ownership" to get in folks faces and demand more. A weekly leader probably feels less inclined to really be able to "rightfully" get into the faces of guys when he is only a captain for a day. Honorary if you will. Kind of if you are an "acting supervisor" at your current job are you really going to say to co-workers what is needed?

I would also like Bo to go into an offensive "shell" and try to limit Martinez's miscues. Our O is doing well in spite of ourselves. IIRC correctly, we leed the nation in fumbles and are very close in turn overs. We also have 3 walk-ons starting on the OL. Unheard of, but we are racking up points. I would love to see Beck try and not put so much pressure on Martinez to pass to get us out of or into trouble.

For me, this is a crossroads for Bo as many have stated. I hope that he chooses Progress or Pride and Winning over being Right. Even if we lose, IMO it will not be as bad if I see Bo trying something different. Any thing different to try and fix this floundering team.

I will still support Bo even in a loss with no changes, but it will be VERY HARD.

GO BIG RED

Bo is my guy.

For me i would like too see him ditch the 2 gap scheme against Dual threat Qb's. guys like Braxton are his schemes weakness, especially when there isn't a Suh factor.

In terms of Wins losses. If we go 9-3 i can live with this season. if we go 10-2 there won't be a gripe out of me. anything less than that then i think we need to warm up the seat.

Bo knew the expectations when taking the job at Nebraska, how our team performed out there last Saturday was not too par with our talent. On Braxtons long run play we saw our DB's run him down, we are skilled enough.

But what skill we have is pissed away in lack of discipline, poor scheme, and in the second half most notably, sh#t for effort.

These are serious coaching issues. And they need solved before we go too Northwestern in 2 weeks, because if they aren't, Pat Fitzgeralds team will eat us alive. Like last year.

I like Bo, he reminds me of Devany, and even bob had a rough stretch at Nebraska that nearly got him fired. I am hoping this is just history repeating it self.

Who is in the booth? I have often wondered what the guy in booth is telling Bo.

Its Ross Els and usually he is pointing out hotties in the stadium or getting really excited because the Weiner Slinger guy is pointing the canon right at him

But, do you think that Weiner Slinger has that kind of range?

I think if we factor in wind, gasping of air by the bluehairs which depletes the oxygen levels in the stadium and the space time continuum, we very easily could solve this question. Either that or travel in time if you own a delorean

I wonder what the FPS that thing is fired at? Ok, board question, anyone know the dude that fires the Wiener Slinger, we have questions...

Bo has a big fan in a booster from Texas, in fact the reason Bo is our coach. He is safe, I think as long as that individual feels he is still the man. The last I heard he still feels that way.

I do not see Bo being fired anytime soon, but because Bo is such a competitor and hard charging, I can see him saying I can't do it and just walking away, which I feel is very possible.

I truly do not want to see him leave, I am not a fan by any means, but just feel it would hurt the program more. I am hoping he sees what is needed, he sees the team every single day and we watch from afar, really knowing nothing of what is going on or what is being tried. Bo needs to succeed for Nebraska to return to relevance anytime soon. He fails, we start over, and with the money it would cost to bring in a name coach, I see us doing the same thing over again, and again. I do not think this program will spend the money to bring a top coach in. We depended on a booster to get Bo and pay the bills for ridding ourselves of the past fiasco.

I get on him alot, and I am totally dissatisfied with his job at this point, but I keep hoping he will see what is needed and do it. I had the same feelings when Clownahan was here, but either stubborness or loyalty killed him, it may end up the same with Bo.

It is sad when a media type and a lovely lady on this forum can see the problems, and our 3 plus million dollar coach can not.

You realize that he has literally done this all season right?... Except it has been Evans going in at Nickel instead of Santos.

Not quite 'literally all season,' but we have seen it quite a bit. Against tOSU we saw a lot of base 4-3, with Whaley and Fischer basically being on the field as much as they could. Miller gouged us on the edges with his speed.

We'll see what Bo does against Shoelace - I'm certain that he's capable of making good changes.

Dude, we were fine before you got here, we'll be fine when you're gone...

We're all here because we love our team. It's a message board - full of a diversity of opinions. There's no right or wrong opinion, just opinions. And btw, Bo definitely has my full support. I've always maintained this.

Who is in the booth? I have often wondered what the guy in booth is telling Bo.

Its Ross Els and usually he is pointing out hotties in the stadium or getting really excited because the Weiner Slinger guy is pointing the canon right at him

I thought of this movie scene as soon as I read this

Starting at :43 Just imagine the two guys are our coaches in the box looking into the student section with their binoculars.

Are you secretly getting some kind of magical Huskerboard circle jerk points for making comments like this?

This is a forum. An anonymous forum. For discussing Husker football. On the internet. Husker football is being discussed.

Dude, we were fine before you got here, we'll be fine when you're gone...

We're all here because we love our team. It's a message board - full of a diversity of opinions. There's no right or wrong opinion, just opinions. And btw, Bo definitely has my full support. I've always maintained this.

I hope you note the hypocrisy...

Something useful would be a clear operational definition of "support" that doesn't use intangible words or concepts. After every game, someone starts a thread (or two) centering on continued "support" for a player, the team, or one or more coaches. What does that even mean? It really appears that people mean different things when they say it and believe their form of support to be more meaningful or authentic or simply better than everyone else's. The "support" flag is waved so we can prove we're the Best Fan™, but what does that mean? When you (used broadly) use the word, what do you mean? To me, it sounds hollow like a slogan on a magnet. What do you do to "support" Bo? What happens if you stop providing that support? Does he fall? Does he go broke?

Does it simply mean that you want him to continue to be the coach? Does it mean that you want him to do well for as long as he is coach? Saying "I support" doesn't mean anything-- it's a moving, fluid target.

As far as I can tell-- he's not a defensive guy, which is why he was ostensibly hired in the first place. Big games aren't won. He seems kind of like a jerk (based on what we see on the sidelines, in pressers, and from what I've heard from people who've had to deal with him in the community). But do I want him to win? Yes. I'd like for him to do well. I was pretty excited when he was hired on, but frankly, he seems slightly better than Callahan, a little worse than Frank, but as long as he's the coach I'd like him to win. In the sense that I'm not rooting against him, he has my support. In the sense that I'd ever actively protest his removal? Nah. I don't want him gone, but he doesn't seem to have enhanced the program much at all. I'd guess that this season, he has the exact same record Callahan would have had against these opponents.

Basically, he's not entitled to any unconditional acceptance or approval-- he gets paid a lot, and those millions should carry many, many conditions. A major one of those, Winning Games or Not Losing in Embarrassing Ways, isn't being met. Why should I offer any vague notion of "support" to a guy who is being paid tons of money to do a job that he isn't doing well? He doesn't ahve deep ties here, he's not taking less money to pay his assistants, and doesn't seem to give much back that provokes any sort of emotional response from me. Right now, he isn't living up to his promises or his checks and that's all there is to go on. He's not "supporting" us.

• Fire 1

Something useful would be a clear operational definition of "support" that doesn't use intangible words or concepts. After every game, someone starts a thread (or two) centering on continued "support" for a player, the team, or one or more coaches. What does that even mean? It really appears that people mean different things when they say it and believe their form of support to be more meaningful or authentic or simply better than everyone else's. The "support" flag is waved so we can prove we're the Best Fan™, but what does that mean? When you (used broadly) use the word, what do you mean? To me, it sounds hollow like a slogan on a magnet. What do you do to "support" Bo? What happens if you stop providing that support? Does he fall? Does he go broke?

Does it simply mean that you want him to continue to be the coach? Does it mean that you want him to do well for as long as he is coach? Saying "I support" doesn't mean anything-- it's a moving, fluid target.

As far as I can tell-- he's not a defensive guy, which is why he was ostensibly hired in the first place. Big games aren't won. He seems kind of like a jerk (based on what we see on the sidelines, in pressers, and from what I've heard from people who've had to deal with him in the community). But do I want him to win? Yes. I'd like for him to do well. I was pretty excited when he was hired on, but frankly, he seems slightly better than Callahan, a little worse than Frank, but as long as he's the coach I'd like him to win. In the sense that I'm not rooting against him, he has my support. In the sense that I'd ever actively protest his removal? Nah. I don't want him gone, but he doesn't seem to have enhanced the program much at all. I'd guess that this season, he has the exact same record Callahan would have had against these opponents.

Basically, he's not entitled to any unconditional acceptance or approval-- he gets paid a lot, and those millions should carry many, many conditions. A major one of those, Winning Games or Not Losing in Embarrassing Ways, isn't being met. Why should I offer any vague notion of "support" to a guy who is being paid tons of money to do a job that he isn't doing well? He doesn't ahve deep ties here, he's not taking less money to pay his assistants, and doesn't seem to give much back that provokes any sort of emotional response from me. Right now, he isn't living up to his promises or his checks and that's all there is to go on. He's not "supporting" us.

Good post. Non-emotional and makes a lot of sense, especially the bolded section.

Read a presser last night and took issues with some of the same canned comments. The wife said that Bo's biggest problem is he does and has done nothing to embrace the fans of the Huskers. If anything he he alienates them and appears to care less if we are there or not.

Honestly, Bo would have to almost literally become a completely different person to regain my support. Sure, winning would help me be a little more willing to look past some things. But at the end of the day, I just flat don't like the way he comes off and represents Nebraska.

If our record was exactly what it is today and Bo just had a little bit of class, I'd be much more supportive of him. But the guy acts like a little bitch constantly and embarrasses Nebraska. From his entitled stance when he wasn't handed Frank's job to the way he treated Bill Snyder to his wife's FUSP gloves...all the way through to the flipping the clipboard at our own crowd to just flat out acting like a dick to every single media member he comes across to his sideline tantrums and everything in between. There really are too many instances to name or try to remember. An isolated instance like that or two and it's a funny side note on who Bo is. But Bo's personality flaws and tantrums and outbursts and the like are so frequent that they have come to define who he is and truly override any positive personality traits he may posses. And, unfortunately, those same flaws are coming to define Nebraska football. I have a problem with that.

The Nebraska I know doesn't act that way. Nebraska people don't act that way. Bo is less "Nebraska" than any head coach I can remember and he's not who I want as a face for one of the things that identifies Nebraska the most. He's not the perception I want the rest of the college football nation to have of Nebraska. The way he acts is not what I want my son/daughter growing up idolizing.

So, he would have to completely change who he is in order to gain back my support and given that he's in his 40's, I don't see that happening. He is who he is and it's not who I want representing our once proud Nebraska program.

I agree with what True to the Red...... Always said.

Plus 1. You've basically reiterated everything I've been saying for quite some time. The scheme, the lack of aggressiveness, and limiting Taylor's passing are things I've "bitched" about for 2 and a half years now. Keep in mind please, that Bo has never lost my support. I hope we don't make the mistake of firing him right now. If things continue the way they are right now though, there's no question that letting him go could be justified.

His entire approach to coaching defense should be under review. The scheme in my opinion has never been as great as many many so called experts seem to think it is. I've said this many times before. Bo would be foolish to think he shouldn't at least look in the mirror and consider that "HE" may be part of the problem. The lack of aggressiveness has always bothered me. This really falls into the scheme I guess. Especially the two gap system on the front four. I never have liked it and never will. This isn't patty cake. Get after them. I also don't understand why we never load the box on "running QB's" and make them beat us with their arm. You know, kind of the way multiple teams have "schemed" against Taylor Martinez and "WON". Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

This defense has a lot of problems no two ways around it.

Offensively, it's very easy. Run the damn ball! I am all in favor of having a balanced attack, but when the run is working and the pass is skull fuxking you, STOP f'ing PASSING IT! A long, time consuming drive is a very rare thing around here. Not only is it great for the rhythm of the offense to have a nice long drive, but guess what? When your offense is on the field, that means the other teams offense is on the sideline! Crazy concept I know! But it would have been a game changing concept last weekend.

The comments after the Wisconsin game continued to show an "us against the world" mentality that Bo seems to live by. He also clearly as influenced the players into the same way of thinking. I have never appreciated that. Another point I can't argue with. It becomes very obvious at times that it seems like Bo and his team feels like the state of Nebraska is against them. So many of us back these guys one hundred percent. That doesn't change the fact that it hurts all of us to watch what happened last weekend. It's just tough to lose a game like that for everyone.

Time for an overhaul Bo. If he doesn't see it, then he will usher himself out the door. As much as I don't want to see that happen right now, I too am tired of watching games like last weekend. Or should I say, turning games off at the end of the third quarter. We have the talent here, I don't buy it for a second when someone says we don't. It's here. It needs to be coached. It needs to have continuity and consistency in their staff! These young coaches got to grow fast, and stick around a while. Don't grow up here and move on to another place. Nebraska is a destination, not a coaching school. Coaches complain about fans and Universities ushering them out the door prematurely. Well. coaches should also consider the many many times they've walked out the door prematurely for an upgrade in position. It goes both ways.

Bo can win back my complete support once he and his staff show they know what they are doing. If it is the players complete fault, then it goes back onto you for not recruiting well enough period. I don't buy the talent issue bit because I know we have more talent than Kansas State... they are doing 100% just fine! He also needs to wake up and change his freaking attitude!!! It stinks and has for years... he hasn't been a good representive of Nebraska more times than not with his anger issues.