What can Bo do to regain your support

It's a matter of moving forward.

2008 and 2009 felt like moving forward, capped by solid bowl game wins.

2010 was just a weird season, the first few games of Taylor Martinez were as exciting as the Huskers have been in years. Then came Texas, then Taylor's injury, then the most lifeless bowl loss we've ever had.

2011 was the chance to correct 2010 and while Beck was stabalizing the offense, the defense - which came in with one of the Top 5 defensive lines in the country - suddenly seemed incapable of the most basic fundamentals. The Huskers could put it together for one big game (MSU) and not show up for another (Wiscy, MU). Then another collapse in the bowl game, against the SEC's #5.

Not moving forward as a team. Slipping dangerously backward as a defense. Bo's specialty.

2012? I think we have every right to look at this as a pivotal year. A veteran unit of Bo's hand-picked recruits and coaching staff in a surprisingly weak Big 10. Nebraska expectations are no longer insanely high, they're simply reasonable: stay in contention for our DIVISION all season, play hard all four quarters, look like we belong on the same field with any opponent. Six games in and it doesn't look good, but it is reversible. They wouldn't have to win out, but they simply can't be this embarassing on defense. At this point, that would be progress.

If there continue to be teamwide meltdowns this season, my guess is that Bo would start engineering his own departure before anyone could fire him.

If we show competitive fire while going 8 - 4, that would look like progress.

At which point Bo would deserve some good vibes for his 6th season.

And that would be his do or die season. I don't know how many wins he'd need, but he can't survive more than one embarassing loss.

Stinkney, I am sure doesn't want to state that his team is frustrated, as it would show weakness, something that Pelini tries to hide. I love how people talk about these "meltdowns". I don't see it as a meltdown, as much as I do a guy who is not afraid to let someone know that they did something wrong, and he has a PASSION for the game. Rather have a passionate coach than a hush puppy.

Your comment about him not knowing what people say, of course we know its a lie, but why admit it, so more people rant and cry? Maybe the lack of support from a lot of people has an issue with his coaching? You never know, but never show weakness as a HC. Take accountability and move on.

I think his team showed plenty of weakness on Saturday. Admitting it frustrated them would hardly make it any worse.

I said his in game demeanor has improved. However, spitting mad rants on the sideline don't show "football passion" they show a person incapable of controlling their temper and I fail to see how this "quality" has done much to fire up the team.

Lying, in my experience, is a bad idea all around. It's a sad reality that telling the truth is seen as "showing weakness."

The unique aspect of this season is that on a realistic scale of difficulty, a program like Nebraska with the offensive weapons we have should be able to be in serious contention for the conference, which is weak even by its usual standards of mediocrity. This is in a way a blessing and a curse. There's no excuse not to be in contention for the title. Not in year five. Not with your coordinators and your recruits in your system. The football gods sent this season as a gift. All you have to do is reach out and take it.

But then there's that whole thing about losing 63-38. Who would expect full unquestioning support after a national embarrassment like that? Why pick Nebraska to win anything? The only predictable thing about them is that they fall apart on the road and drop a winnable game at home every season. All the same, with this conference as weak as it is, Bo should do what's expected if he wants to win back support. Win it. The division at least, and then square off against Wisconsin (probably), a team you already beat. Failing to at least make it to the dance would in my view be a disaster to a point where I'm not sure Pelini could ever recover. There would simply be too many strikes against him and not enough reasons to think it's going to get better.

Stinkney, I am sure doesn't want to state that his team is frustrated, as it would show weakness, something that Pelini tries to hide. I love how people talk about these "meltdowns". I don't see it as a meltdown, as much as I do a guy who is not afraid to let someone know that they did something wrong, and he has a PASSION for the game. Rather have a passionate coach than a hush puppy.

Your comment about him not knowing what people say, of course we know its a lie, but why admit it, so more people rant and cry? Maybe the lack of support from a lot of people has an issue with his coaching? You never know, but never show weakness as a HC. Take accountability and move on.

I think his team showed plenty of weakness on Saturday. Admitting it frustrated them would hardly make it any worse.

I said his in game demeanor has improved. However, spitting mad rants on the sideline don't show "football passion" they show a person incapable of controlling their temper and I fail to see how this "quality" has done much to fire up the team.

Lying, in my experience, is a bad idea all around. It's a sad reality that telling the truth is seen as "showing weakness."

That's where we have our differences, if someone blows their cover, multiple times, I don't have a problem with him ranting on the sideline to that said player. You do wrong, you point it out. Now people take the context of him yelling last week, just like they did against the TAMU game with Martinez. Discipline is a thing he has enforced and will continue to force. Your a STARTER, you shouldn't be making mistakes like that.

I have not seen Pelini lie, but I have seen him avoid an answer, which is something ALL coaches do when they are frustrated.

He has stated that its his fault, the coaches fault for that loss at OSU, and it trickled down to the players, what else do you want? Want him to go on Dr. Phil and express his true feelings?

Offensively, it's very easy. Run the damn ball! I am all in favor of having a balanced attack, but when the run is working and the pass is skull fuxking you, STOP f'ing PASSING IT!

This kind of comment continues to mystify me. The passing game has worked very well for us. The running game has worked very well for us. The running and passing game have worked very well together, and our current ratio clearly favors the run. Declaring your intent to run the ball more will only result in a stacked box against you and stop the running game in its tracks.

The running game is also severely compromised when the defense folds and you need 21 points in 15 minutes. It was, however, a solid passing game that helped engineer the biggest comebacks in Husker history the past two seasons.

You can't snap your fingers and make it 1995, with a legendary offensive line in place. And I'll bet that team passed more than some of you remember.

Or are you talking about Taylor Martinez's four interceptions this season?

Cause we have twice as many fumbles.

Does that mean the running game is skull fu**ing us?

I bet nobody was complaining when we came out after halftime and hit two big pass plays on our way to the endzone then forget on our next drive we ran the ball and had a three and out. I also agree if you go back and watch old games Dr. Tom threw the ball more than a lot of people think. Sadly I have to just enjoy youtube videos of full games since I was born in '93.

Osborne's philosophy was easy... Dual threat QB, more legs than arm, a FB and an IB and run, and run hard. Have a QB with a good enough arm to get the job done when we need to throw, or when we know we can get the defense to bite on a run, and utilize the TE. These are the same things we are slowly resorting back to, and I am happy to have two very good FB's to help make holes for Rex and company.

If Bo Pelini would spearhead the drive to take Nebraska out of this weak conglomeration of second class football teams that most refer to as the Big 10 and champion the team's return to it's traditional and rightful home in the Big 12, I would support him unto death...

Other than that...if he were to deliver a stunning kick to Kirk Ferentz's testicles following this year's Iowa/Nebraska game, that would be enough to earn my respect until next year's fall practices begin.

If Bo Pelini would spearhead the drive to take Nebraska out of this weak conglomeration of second class football teams that most refer to as the Big 10 and champion the team's return to it's traditional and rightful home in the Big 12, I would support him unto death...

28239164.jpg

• Fire 1

That's where we have our differences, if someone blows their cover, multiple times, I don't have a problem with him ranting on the sideline to that said player. You do wrong, you point it out. Now people take the context of him yelling last week, just like they did against the TAMU game with Martinez. Discipline is a thing he has enforced and will continue to force. Your a STARTER, you shouldn't be making mistakes like that.

I have not seen Pelini lie, but I have seen him avoid an answer, which is something ALL coaches do when they are frustrated.

He has stated that its his fault, the coaches fault for that loss at OSU, and it trickled down to the players, what else do you want? Want him to go on Dr. Phil and express his true feelings?

OMG...a football coach yelled at a player on the side lines. This should make ESPNs 30 30 program.

OMG...a football coach yelled at a player on the side lines. This should make ESPNs 30 30 program.

My quibble is not that Bo yells at players, it is that fans call this "passion." It's not passion, it's a guy yelling at a player. Passion is Bo getting up at 4 am and working until midnight.

Unfortunately, Bo's passion hasn't translated to the level of performance that he, I, and most (if not all) NU fans would like.

The past couple of seasons, it appears as though Bo is trying to put a square peg in a round hole with regards to the defense. He doesn't have the talent on the DL or the LB spot to run his two gap scheme. David last year helped cover a lot of the problems here, but he's gone. While the DL gets the most credit for not having the talent, I believe it is at the LB spot where we have the least amount of talent or maybe I should say speed. Ohio State wouldn't have taken us to the shed like they did had we fielded LB's with the speed of David. However, we need more than just one LB with this kind of speed. Speed is what it takes to stop a running QB, and we don't have much at all in the front seven. I haven't lost support in Bo, but he either needs to modify his defense for the players he has or find some players riding the pine with the speed to play his style of defense. The offensive problems are much easier to fix: hand onto the ball and for goodness sakes Sirles and Arod block somebody.

Totally agree on the defense...especially the LB's. They are slow and can't contain on the outside and when they cheat up to take away the outside, the middle is left totally empty for a QB with any talent throwing the ball to exploit with slants to the TE or a back out of the backfield. Frankly, against Ohio State, the entire secondary just looked confused. The whole defense just seems to lack leadership and continuity...like 11 guys out for themselves instead of 11 guys playing as a team.

The offense is okay but not totally without fault. Hanging onto the ball still seems to be a problem along with stupid penalties that have either killed Nebraska drives or extended opponent's drives. You can't keep making the stupid personal fouls. It's obvious that Martinez has worked on his passing game but when he gets a lot of pressure he still reverts back to the old "sling it side-arm off the back foot" style that usually ends in disaster. A good DC would simply double up on Bell and man up on everyone else and the NU passing game would probably go straight down the drain. Another receiver has to step up or Martinez has to learn to distribute the ball around to more of them.

As for Bo...frankly, I could take him or leave him. His teams usually get the job done, His sideline doesn't look like a happy place to be and I, myself, don't care to see him in the grill of his players on the sideline but he's the coach and if that's his style...more power to him (he should have Dr. Tom give him a snappier shirt to wear though...that sweatshirt makes him look kinda like a homeless guy). But...hey...it'll be another typical Bo coached Nebraska year. 10-4 or thereabouts with a visit to the Holiday Bowl or the equivilant...everybody should be happy with that eh?