The Omaha Paper Can't Understand Why Martinez Doesn't Open Up To Them

knapplc

Next year, there will be no excuses. If the verbal commits stick, and the depth we have next year, we should have a very decent defense, and even a better offense. Losing Rex will hurt us, but I think Janovich and Cross/Heard/Ameer combo will fill those shoes plus more. If Valentine can remain healthy, with Rome, Moss, Ankrah, Curry & Williams, our Dline will be stout. Our LB crew, I believe will also be better, especially if we plan on giving Santos, Pirman, Roach and Gangwish some more playing time. I don't know why, but my stomach tells me one of those last 3 players will show some unexpected talent.

What are the excuses this year? I thought we had depth this year - wasn't that the talking point all offseason? Peat, Rome, Stein, Guy, Randle, Williams, Carter, Ankrah, Martin, Meredith, Vestal? This is the exact same thing we (myself included) were all saying at the beginning of the year. Most of us weren't entirely unrealistic because of the schedule we faced (which has since turned into a joke)....but not a single person on this planet thought we'd be fielding one of the worst defenses in the B1G. I don't see a lot of "hope" with the defense at this point. Maybe they'll turn it around in the second half like 2008 and we'll be looking forward to next year. But I'm sorry, the above remarks are a recurring theme in the Pelini era. I live in KC. I know what it's like to be a fan of a team that is perpetually stuck in the "we'll be better next year" BS. To think the "verbal commits" are going to have any impact on the team is almost completely ignoring the last 5 years of this football team. Unless we raid the Kansas JUCOS (which i don't know why we aren't)...this class and last class won't be doing much for us. The team we have now, is the team we'll be competing with next year -> minus most of our LBers, 3/4 of the line, and almost all our depth at safety. Who knows, maybe cleaning house is what they need.

So then, the team we have now isn't the team we will have next year - since 7/11 starters are graduating...

And between last years class (redshirts) and this years class, I'm sure we are bound to see some new faces...out of a class of 20, I'm sure we might see at least 1 true freshman playing.

Also, Zaire will most likely be back.

I saw the headline to this article, snickered, and chose not to read it.

They're football players. Their job is to play football to the best of their ability. Why media people and fans in general can't leave them alone is beyond me. Let them play the game and leave it at that. They are open to critique about how they play, but expecting them to open up to the media is pretty bogus....

They're football players. Their job is to play football to the best of their ability. Why media people and fans in general can't leave them alone is beyond me. Let them play the game and leave it at that. They are open to critique about how they play, but expecting them to open up to the media is pretty bogus....

A little hypocrisy in this statement. I know theyre on scholarship and all, but football is far from their "job". Their "extracurricular activity" is to play football to the best of their ability.

Damn, now the derpers have me microcritiqing every word of a post. I feel like Bo and Taylor now. :bang

A little hypocrisy in this statement. I know theyre on scholarship and all, but football is far from their "job". Their "extracurricular activity" is to play football to the best of their ability.

Damn, now the derpers have me microcritiqing every word of a post. I feel like Bo and Taylor now. :bang

Thank you for the in-depth critique of my post, accountability. You're right, but you're lucky I like you haha ;)

Next year, there will be no excuses. If the verbal commits stick, and the depth we have next year, we should have a very decent defense, and even a better offense. Losing Rex will hurt us, but I think Janovich and Cross/Heard/Ameer combo will fill those shoes plus more. If Valentine can remain healthy, with Rome, Moss, Ankrah, Curry & Williams, our Dline will be stout. Our LB crew, I believe will also be better, especially if we plan on giving Santos, Pirman, Roach and Gangwish some more playing time. I don't know why, but my stomach tells me one of those last 3 players will show some unexpected talent.

Also, I never said anything about verbal commits ;) lol

:dunno

So then, the team we have now isn't the team we will have next year - since 7/11 starters are graduating...

And between last years class (redshirts) and this years class, I'm sure we are bound to see some new faces...out of a class of 20, I'm sure we might see at least 1 true freshman playing.

Also, Zaire will most likely be back.

I'm just saying there isn't going to be some influx of talent that will all of a sudden make this defense better. We aren't Alabama. We recruit projects. The same guys that are the "depth" this year and can't win playing time on this awful defense are the same guys that are going to be starting next year when the seniors depart. If a true freshman is playing, then we have issues in our player development (which we all know we do).

We also know that it takes 2-3 years in the system to be an impact player (for every David there is 11 Steins) - so last years class, and this years class don't really concern me much. 2011 is the class we should be seeing contribute next year right? So maybe Jackson gets some playing time? CB isn't going to be an issue next year so that doesn't help us overall much. Maybe Peat who is chronically injured? Unlikely. Kevin Williams is hopeful. Pirman unlikely. Santos maybe...but if he can't beat out this group of knuckleheads then that won't be much of an upgrade. So we have maybe 1 guy from the 11 class (Santos) that might be an improvement. 2 JUCO transfers (Seisay/Anderson) from the 12 class that might be improvements.

So lets go way back to 2010. A bunch of DBs, again...we're fine there. And then Rome. So 1 guy from the 10' class that might be an improvement over our current starters.

Now 2009 - next years redshirt seniors. 5 years in the system should have them all on the field right? Ankrah fits this. Another year older and he should be solid next year. Thad Randle as well. But do I think either of these guys is going to be better than the current start with another year under their belt? Will 2013 Thad be better than the 2012 Stein he's replacing? I don't see a lot of indication he will be. So maybe 1 guy from 09's class?

That's it. There really isn't anyone else. Now we're at walk-ons.

So you all are right, we likely will be playing a bunch of freshman. And it's not because our 08' or 09' classes sucked. It's because there isn't many left out of the 10' or 11' classes either. Definately not on the line. Definately not LBers. Pelini needs to live at the JUCO's this fall. I'm praying Moss/Valentine/McMullen step up in a huge way. But next year's excuses will be "they're all young, they'll be better next year". Blah.

Wait....are you sure they hijacked your keyboard and posted under your name? I feel like you did that on your own.

(I'd say to take accountability, but this post is already pretty stupid. :lol:)

But explaining such game-changing miscues in front of cameras might do wonders for his public image. ---Jon Nyatawa

Nyatawa, WTF?? What exactly is Martinez supposed to say? Something like this maybe: "I didn't get a good grip on the ball and I fumbled it." Or maybe, "The DE blindsided me from the back and knocked the ball loose." Or else, "I tried to thread one into a tight window for Kenny, and the CB jumped the route."