Optimistic 2nd Half of the Season

BIG ERN

Did you attend the 2001 Rose Bowl. We were the laughing stock of college football, and have pretty much maintained that level since. Every loss on National TV lowers the recruiting, shows the lack of coaching, lack of control.

We win out as some say and do it in a fashion that resembles a real Nebraska team fine. Just do not see it happening. Sometimes it is better to cut your losses, as say the Rose Bowl. WE do not belong in a BCS Bowl period. We really do not belong in a bowl unless there is a tremendous change in this team, this staff and the fan base that seems to think we are owed a bowl game of value. Two losses to two teams that are average at best, far below the top programs in the country. If we had beaten Ohio State, then and only then would I have thought we belonged playing in a BCS level game.

I doubt if we should happen to win out that we climb any farther than 20th as we play no one ranked in the top 25. Yea we are BCS material for sure.

So even if we win out we have to do with style? We don't even belong in a bowl game? You must have pretty high standards if OSU is average at best. The voters from around the country disagree with you. What is OSU 6 or 7 in the AP poll. If all you judge a teams worth by is Alabama than you are going to be really disappointed most of the time.

Are you won of those guys that was 13 years old in 1994 and your whole memory of NU football is of killing everyone? Does it have to be NU is a dominating team or they suck? Do they have to be undefeated and beat everyone with style or they suck. Can't Nebraska just be a good team?

Nebraska can win out and can play in the Rose Bowl and maybe they won't make themselves a laughing stock in the process.

I would have to agree with 'skerfan. I wouldn't say average, but they are not as good as everyone thinks they are. I am not trying to take any credit away from them, or their wins, but they have major flaws on the field, and they will get exploited sometime during this season. Penn State, I am guessing, will be their first loss, as they will tear their secondary apart. McGloin is only going to get better, and he is probably the best QB in the Big Ten right now. Top 25 in the nation easily.

We suck, we are going to lose every game, from here on out, we are going to go 6-6, go to a crappy bowl game and get completely shut out by Wake Forest.

:sarcasm

Well, if we finish 6-6, I dont even want to go to a bowl. To hell with it. Just refuse the invite. Start a new bowl streak again next year. Derpa Derpa.

By the way, if we lose out, we'll wind up 4-8. derp?

Derp indeed for typing before thinking. I was leaving Minnesota and Iowa as guarantee wins lol. As we know though, nothing is guaranteed.

Either way, the only threat I see, is Michigan and PSU. I am not worried about Northwestern, as I have a feeling, we will see the end zone more than they will. All we need is decent defense to win this game.

If we had "decent" defense all year, we might be undefeated! So........ What's to say we get even that?

Our offense is way more dynamic than theirs, will much more talent, and it shows, even against a team with a good defense (OSU). I am not going to sit here and say our defense is going to be a complete disaster, if that is what your trying to get me to say, because there are things being done this week, both with Bo and the team, that hasn't been done all year. We may see a defense who finally has gotten what they needed off their chest and will come out hungry, and ready to prove.... or a defense who is even more dismantled than before. All I know, is our secondary will still play hard, and won't let us down through the air. As long as our front 7 can stop the run, we will do just fine. I am not a negative person, who thinks we are going to get blown out, like most of the people here. I believe in Bo, and our program, and for the most part, all of our coaching staff.

Yeah my Statement wasnt to get you to call our defense a disaster! They are who they are! My point was that I don't think we needed to be the '85 bears on defense to change the result at UCLA or tOSU! And to suggest we just need to be "decent" on defense against northwestern to win might be underestimating them a tad! And a little presumptuous that we can dial up "decent" whenever we need it.

Did you attend the 2001 Rose Bowl. We were the laughing stock of college football, and have pretty much maintained that level since. Every loss on National TV lowers the recruiting, shows the lack of coaching, lack of control.

We win out as some say and do it in a fashion that resembles a real Nebraska team fine. Just do not see it happening. Sometimes it is better to cut your losses, as say the Rose Bowl. WE do not belong in a BCS Bowl period. We really do not belong in a bowl unless there is a tremendous change in this team, this staff and the fan base that seems to think we are owed a bowl game of value. Two losses to two teams that are average at best, far below the top programs in the country. If we had beaten Ohio State, then and only then would I have thought we belonged playing in a BCS level game.

I doubt if we should happen to win out that we climb any farther than 20th as we play no one ranked in the top 25. Yea we are BCS material for sure.

So even if we win out we have to do with style? We don't even belong in a bowl game? You must have pretty high standards if OSU is average at best. The voters from around the country disagree with you. What is OSU 6 or 7 in the AP poll. If all you judge a teams worth by is Alabama than you are going to be really disappointed most of the time.

Are you won of those guys that was 13 years old in 1994 and your whole memory of NU football is of killing everyone? Does it have to be NU is a dominating team or they suck? Do they have to be undefeated and beat everyone with style or they suck. Can't Nebraska just be a good team?

Nebraska can win out and can play in the Rose Bowl and maybe they won't make themselves a laughing stock in the process.

Yes, that is certainly possible. We do have enough talent at least on the offense to do this. Unfortunately, nothing in the last 1 1/2 years convinces me it will happen. Defense has been in a slow overall decline that gets embarassed against good but not necessarily great competition. I would love to be wrong starting Saturday.

I think skersfan is correct. NU is not major bowl game worthy. If NU played in a BCS bowl against... anyone BCS bowl eligible, we would be facing a team at least as good as OSU and likely better than OSU. We would get annihilated and embarrassed. NU would be more solidly a laughingstock than it is now... and NU does not need that.

NU does not need yet another beat-down of epic proportions on national tv.

skersfan seems to imply (if i understand him correctly) that NU is maybe just barely bowl-worthy in general... and that is maybe a bit strong... NU will likely finish just outside the top 25 at seasons end and hopefully draw an unranked opponent of equal quality in a minor bowl game.. and hopefully do well in the bowl. But a BCS opponent would just whomp this NU team. Something we do not wish to parade in a feature game.

It is, I think, a moot point as winning the conference (even this pathetically weak conference) is rather unlikely.

So, if we win out who do we play in the Big 10 title game? Even if we do win the Big 10 this year, it will feel somewhat tarnished unless Ohio State loses a game or two because as of right now they are clearly the best Big 10 team. While I realize they have sanctions, it's not like they lured players there by paying them. Of course apparently this is legal considering Auburn still has their BCS NC trophy. It would be great to win the Big 10 and play in a BCS bowl. Sure, we might very well get embarrassed in the bowl. However, it's not like we haven't been totally embarressed in a bowlgame before. Even if we get schooled in the Rose Bowl, I would think it would still help recruiting.

If we do not see marked improvement from this staff, then there should be a meltdown. What we have been doing has not worked too well. Make some changes, at least take some chances, then I would have no problems with losing to Michigan, State, Northwestern, but would have problems with losses to Minnesota and Iowa. I think we are about at the level of Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, above Iowa and Minnesota, but far behind Michigan. But all I want is for us to play Michigan close and possibly pull off a win. If Bo can figure away to stop Dennard, then I will have some faith in the future. If he burns us like last year, then the board will go balistic I am sure. Still think the whole season hinges on this weekends game. We have to win and do a good job of it.

If we do not see marked improvement from this staff, then there should be a meltdown. What we have been doing has not worked too well. Make some changes, at least take some chances, then I would have no problems with losing to Michigan, State, Northwestern, but would have problems with losses to Minnesota and Iowa. I think we are about at the level of Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, above Iowa and Minnesota, but far behind Michigan. But all I want is for us to play Michigan close and possibly pull off a win. If Bo can figure away to stop Dennard, then I will have some faith in the future. If he burns us like last year, then the board will go balistic I am sure. Still think the whole season hinges on this weekends game. We have to win and do a good job of it.

Bo has been a D coach in college and the NFL, and now a head coach here, he hasnt figured out how to stop a running qb yet . this will be an OSU type beatdown

Bo has been a D coach in college and the NFL, and now a head coach here, he hasnt figured out how to stop a running qb yet . this will be an OSU type beatdown

Derp?

• 2 weeks later...