This quote is why NU could very well be 4-4 on Oct. 28th

Foppa

Omg....we r arguing about giving up 63 or 49......really?! Either case is pathetic. Coordinators get fired at major universities for such abominations.

I'd argue over 63 or 62. What's your point? Fact is, people on here bitching about our defense giving up 63. They didnt. It was 49. Both are pathetic yes. But it's still facts.

I've kept this article up on my laptop ever since I read it. Not that I want a recap of the NU-OSU game...but what I try to make out of what was said. I read it daily. It never gets any better. It is a quote from DC John Papuchis in the huskeronline.com article from Robin Washut...

"It's real frustrating," defensive coordinator John Papuchis said. "We didn't do a very good job planning it, and we didn't do a very good job of executing the plans. So it's really frustrating because we knew coming into the game that he was what we needed to stop, and we weren't good enough to do it or we didn't have good enough focus to get it done."

I think JP is selling himself short on this one. At least from the plan standpoint. The first quarter, and part of the second was one of the more dominating defensive performances I've seen since 2009. 17 total yards, 3 punts. The plan was sound. The adjustments just obviously weren't. I won't argue we weren't outcoached because we certainly were...but the plan was there, they were executing - then Martinez started throwing and desperation took over the defense.

I'm a little bored with all that has been being said and over analyized over the course of the last 12 days. Far too many negative nellies spewing their venom about firing Bo and starting over again. (This is basically insane BS form newcomers who don't seem to know a whole lot about anything. All that behind us my take on this article is this. Either the plan was flawed or the players couldn't execute it. I don't think all the blame lies on the doorstep of thecoaching staff and I have never wanted to blame players for... Well I just don't like bad mouthing players. Perhaps the reason we got beat was the fact that Braxton Miller is just one hell of a football player. The final score is just UM running up the score and let's face it he's an a$$hole and our time will come.

T_O_B

Omg....we r arguing about giving up 63 or 49......really?! Either case is pathetic. Coordinators get fired at major universities for such abominations.

I'd argue over 63 or 62. What's your point? Fact is, people on here bitching about our defense giving up 63. They didnt. It was 49. Both are pathetic yes. But it's still facts.

I'm pissed when we give up 30...

Our defense isn't feared anymore, and whether it's personnel or scheme, it's got to be fixed...

I've kept this article up on my laptop ever since I read it. Not that I want a recap of the NU-OSU game...but what I try to make out of what was said. I read it daily. It never gets any better. It is a quote from DC John Papuchis in the huskeronline.com article from Robin Washut...

"It's real frustrating," defensive coordinator John Papuchis said. "We didn't do a very good job planning it, and we didn't do a very good job of executing the plans. So it's really frustrating because we knew coming into the game that he was what we needed to stop, and we weren't good enough to do it or we didn't have good enough focus to get it done."

I think JP is selling himself short on this one. At least from the plan standpoint. The first quarter, and part of the second was one of the more dominating defensive performances I've seen since 2009. 17 total yards, 3 punts. The plan was sound. The adjustments just obviously weren't. I won't argue we weren't outcoached because we certainly were...but the plan was there, they were executing - then Martinez started throwing and desperation took over the defense.

IMO, you are correct sir, up to the highlighted point. Should have read: -then Miller busted a run for 70 yards and our defense sinched up. That is when things started to go downhill for the defense.

I don't think that any one quote of standard coachspeak gives us much meaningful information to base predictions on. We are a better team than Northwestern by any metric you choose to look at, and are heavily favored on the road. We also get a home game for a Michigan team that is flawed and is only slightly better than Nebraska. We might be 4-4, sure, anything can happen. But we likely will not be, and looking at quotes to try to see how good of a team we have rather than looking at stats, talent, matchups, and other objective information seems pretty silly.

Bottome line is statements like this are WAY over analyzed. Coaches are asked a question that they have to respond to in an instant without no time to rehearse the words in their head. Then we have 3 weeks to sit here and analyze every little verb and pronoun used and say "meh, I dont like this, I think we're gonna lose now". That's why I never understand why folks get so riled up about what is said in post game and post practice interviews.

I'm a little bored with all that has been being said and over analyized over the course of the last 12 days. Far too many negative nellies spewing their venom about firing Bo and starting over again. (This is basically insane BS form newcomers who don't seem to know a whole lot about anything. All that behind us my take on this article is this. Either the plan was flawed or the players couldn't execute it. I don't think all the blame lies on the doorstep of thecoaching staff and I have never wanted to blame players for... Well I just don't like bad mouthing players. Perhaps the reason we got beat was the fact that Braxton Miller is just one hell of a football player. The final score is just UM running up the score and let's face it he's an a$$hole and our time will come.

T_O_B

T_O_B you make way to much sense. Braxton Miller is a really big reason for the loss, but it probably is a combination of things. I don't think most people understand or remember when they played football how emotional the game can be. They don't realize how momentum changes and just like Shane Falco says "Quicksand" can take over. I mean look at last weekend. TT beats WVU 49-14 and OU over Texas 63-7. They play 5 more tiems those scores never happen again. The real concern here is that Nebraska right now seems to have too much quicksand in their game.

That's what needs to change. It happens too often. When the momentum goes south for NU they don't have whatever to get the bleeding stopped. That and cut out the turnovers.

The other thing is that BP if he is going to stop a mobile QB needs to commit to stopping him. In BP's defense he wants to limit big passing plays. Because of that he doesn't commit to stopping that running qb. He wants to contain the QB with his front 4, and in theory it works when Suh or Dorsey is sitting in the middle colapsing the center and 1 of the guards back into the QB's face. We don't have the stud in the middle to do that right now. Which means he needs to commit more bodies to the run. We have good enough db's that they can play a little man. They may give up a big play or 2, but that is what needs to happen IMO to stop a mobile QB.

Bottome line is statements like this are WAY over analyzed. Coaches are asked a question that they have to respond to in an instant without no time to rehearse the words in their head. Then we have 3 weeks to sit here and analyze every little verb and pronoun used and say "meh, I dont like this, I think we're gonna lose now". That's why I never understand why folks get so riled up about what is said in post game and post practice interviews.

I agree. I don't even watch the press conferences. Maybe that's why I don't get too riled up. :ahhhhhhhh

What scare me is the coaches keep talking about lack of execution. If there is lack of execution, then it is up to the coaches to correct the cause

• scheme too complicated
  • players not prepared
  • players not capable

Because I have heard this excuse for 5 years I have little hope. Also, we know part of the problem is slow linebackers. Fast players are on the bench; Andrew Green, Mo Seisay, etc.

The same is true of special teams. NUs punt return and kick off return teams (both when NU is kicking) stink and have shown no improvement for 5 years. Even if you are very good, you must change to stay ahead of others. I don't see the changes.

Right now we are 4-2. We have 6 games left. I think we end up going 4-2... for an 8-4 season. We get a lower bowl and win to finish 9-4.

Northwestern - We win. We want revenge. We had 2 weeks to prepare. The guys are mad we lost the last one.

Michigan - We lose. We won't be able to stop Dennard or the big runs enough to get the win.

Michigan State - We lose. We do well stopping their offense but their defense is more than we can handle on offense. They want revenge from last year.

Penn State - We win. We play them at home. They run a pro offense with an immobile QB... our Defense will look pretty good and we win.

Minnesota - We win. We play them at home. At this point they should be a 5-6 loss team.

Iowa - We win. They just aren't a top level Big-10 team this year. I think we can win this game.

Not every team/QB is going to be as talented as OSU or Braxton Miller.

Pretty sure we won't be 4-4.

Ohio State was flat out better than us. More talented. Better coached. Executed better. Focused.

We played poorly, didn't handle Braxton very well (after his long run), and lost. Time to move on. Ohio State is by the far the most talented team we will play, and honestly, they are one of the more talented teams in the nation.

Michigan is also flat out more talented than us, sorry to say.