I'm finally there, sadly so.

........ Looking at the NW players on the field. Man for man, with perhaps only one or two exceptions, our players are bigger/better players..more core skills..........

But just barely. See the status of recruiting battle (NU ranks: #33 -- NW ranks: #35)

I'm still undecided between "Fire Bo" or "Bo Knows" ballot.

But, Oregon is 32nd and OU right behind us. From the past couple years it seems that the recruiting has gotten better. Kenny Bell really comes to mind and I can't wait to see the defense with the young talent that is on that side of the ball.

A question--is it so far-fetched to take a middle ground in this discussion? That is, Bo stays but we look at the new AD asking for turnover in our position coaches?

We knew Bo would be a rough product for a while when we hired him, but that doesn't mean he can't reevaluate some of his staff. I think most are in agreement that Cotton could stand to be folded into the AD office, and it would behoove Bo to bring in an experienced DC that has been able to recruit and stop mobile QBs.

Fresh blood and ideas couldn't hurt--we don't need to make wholesale changes to the team...but the sloppy play, turnovers, mental errors, and lack of consistency point towards something being fundamentally wrong with the staff as-is.

I know moderation isn't the popular path, as extremism is typically easy to justify as it requires less effort to convince.

But extremism is hardly ever the correct path, and the "extreme" options of scuttling the program en masse or letting the program ride as-is appear to be equal parts unappealing and damaging to DoNU.

Out of 10 legitimate coaches on the staff, including Bo himself, 5 are complete new to Nebraska and have been here less than 2 full years. An exception COULD be made for Garrison, for he was a GA for a couple years before the full-time gig. And 3 others have been handling a completely new role for less than 2 years. In fact, Bo and Barney are the ONLY 2 coaches on the staff that were doing the same job they are doing now during the 2010 season. I guess I dont what kind of staff shakeup or turnover people want. You cannot expect immediate results. The staff changes over the last couple years is a forgotten fact in our so called struggles. You need continuity. Sure everyone loses a coordinator here and there, but how many of these so-called great coaches at great programs that we compare Bo to all the time have to completely revamp their staff AND have to go through a conference transition at the same time. All in all, when I look things like this, I become thankful that things are not worse.

I agree. I hate the 'R' word. I work with cognitively challenged kids everyday and none of them act like what you're describing. This board always goes haywired when we start to lose or make stupid plays/penalties-it's the nature of the beast. Increase your vocabulary-find other words that describe a poor play rather than flipping out the 'R' word.

If the word bothers you so much, feel free to ignore my posts. Then you'll never see it from me again. I'm guessing you didn't see the thread where I used "increased" vocabulary and was accused of trying to make myself sound overly intelligent by a troll. I'd say the word retard is a very accurate description for the state Huskerboard finds itself in on an all too often basis lately, and since I didn't directly call anyone a retard, it's not against board rules. Thanks.

blah blah blah! You don't have to specifically call someone the word to have it be offensive. I can think of a lot of sentences that can be used with the n-word that, if used, would be offensive. The point is that it is an offensive word. We are just saying be careful with the terms you use, that's all. This one singles out a group of individuals and has connotations of being a lesser person.

BTW - I have a son who has cerebral palsy who, if this were a different time, would have been relegated to lesser classes. We taught him how he needs to study differently that others. He graduated high school with a 4.0 in advanced classes, and continues that 4.0 into his junior year in college majoring in Actuarial Sciences. Just saying he would have been someone in that "retard" classification when he was young.

A question--is it so far-fetched to take a middle ground in this discussion? That is, Bo stays but we look at the new AD asking for turnover in our position coaches?

We knew Bo would be a rough product for a while when we hired him, but that doesn't mean he can't reevaluate some of his staff. I think most are in agreement that Cotton could stand to be folded into the AD office, and it would behoove Bo to bring in an experienced DC that has been able to recruit and stop mobile QBs.

Fresh blood and ideas couldn't hurt--we don't need to make wholesale changes to the team...but the sloppy play, turnovers, mental errors, and lack of consistency point towards something being fundamentally wrong with the staff as-is.

I know moderation isn't the popular path, as extremism is typically easy to justify as it requires less effort to convince.

But extremism is hardly ever the correct path, and the "extreme" options of scuttling the program en masse or letting the program ride as-is appear to be equal parts unappealing and damaging to DoNU.

Out of 10 legitimate coaches on the staff, including Bo himself, 5 are complete new to Nebraska and have been here less than 2 full years. An exception COULD be made for Garrison, for he was a GA for a couple years before the full-time gig. And 3 others have been handling a completely new role for less than 2 years. In fact, Bo and Barney are the ONLY 2 coaches on the staff that were doing the same job they are doing now during the 2010 season. I guess I dont what kind of staff shakeup or turnover people want. You cannot expect immediate results. The staff changes over the last couple years is a forgotten fact in our so called struggles. You need continuity. Sure everyone loses a coordinator here and there, but how many of these so-called great coaches at great programs that we compare Bo to all the time have to completely revamp their staff AND have to go through a conference transition at the same time. All in all, when I look things like this, I become thankful that things are not worse.

I have been saying the same thing, since the start of the season. I expect it to be better next year, or at least it should. Fumbles will happen, but I sure hope the penalties stop being the bone head ones, we have been seeing. Next year if Bo needs to make a change in any area of the staff, I hope he has the guts to do it. Not wait till the end of the season. The Wis coach pulled the trigger, and it seems to have helped their running game, get up to speed again. This is not about Cotton, or any of the other coaches. Next year could be special, with out all the mistakes, that are happening this year. The penalties I put on the players. Being out of position to make a play, is on the coaches. jmo

GBR!!!

I'm not talking wholesale changes here, but one of the few things I think most people on the board can agree upon is that Barney may need to take a powder.

Beyond that, yes, I'll grant you that we've got quite a bit of new blood on the team. But considering the precarious position our defense is in (and has been in post-Suh...), handing the DC keys to an unknown and new DC wasn't and likely still isn't the smartest play. Why not bring in another experienced DC, perhaps one looking to retire or become a HC in a year or two, to be co-DC with Pauchipis so we can get some fresh blood and new ideas, because the ones we have now aren't working, especially if we have the talent people insist we do.

I don't want to get rid of Bo--I truly think he puts his heart and soul into this program. But I think something has to change for this program to get over the hump. Dr. Tom made changes, and they seem to have worked out well. Why can't Bo look to do the same?

And to answer your question, new staffs + conference realignment? West Virginia and aTm, while not setting the world on fire, both look like they could school us in a bowl game if it came down to it, and aren't they working with new coaches and/or relatively new staffs?

Oh, and yes, I agree that things could be worse--a lot worse. But the flipside is that things could be handily better as well, and one of the big divides in this debate is whether the fans are accepting or possibly complacent with the status quo. A lot of the older fans aren't, while some of the newer fans that grew up during our years of futility are...which may lead to some of the debate we have going on now?

I dont have a problem with the Papuchis hire, yet. The jury is still on that. Based on the improvement of the offense under Beck, an assumption could be made that Papuchis will be fine in the role. Also, to say Pap is solely in charge of the defense is not correct either. Bo still has a huge hand in it. Always has. I personally dont agree with this bringing in these experienced coaches all the time. What good would they be if their ideas-right or wrong-clash with Bo's philiosophies.

I personally dont agree with this bringing in these experienced coaches all the time. What good would they be if their ideas-right or wrong-clash with Bo's philiosophies.

That's the thing--perhaps we need someone to shake Bo's world up, give him a new perspective on things. The current perspective has our team beating itself and taking itself out of very winnable games. I know no team plays mistake-free, but we went, in one year, from the best special teams in the B1G and the nation to one of the worst. Our fumbles, miscues, and boneheaded penalties have been putting this team on an artificial plateau that it doesn't belong on.

And yes, I understand that a new, experienced DC may clash with Bo's existing philosophies, but if Bo can't handle constructive criticism or critique from a peer, then that justifies the hard-headedness that a lot of the anti-Bo fans have been railing on about for some time. Again, Dr. Tom and the Bobfather weren't above seeking knowledge/wisdom from their peers, both in the off-season and by putting them on staff. Why should Bo be adverse to the something similar?

I was hoping for Bo to turn this thing around, but through 4 1/2 years it's painfully obvious he sucks at coaching fundamentals, and he just doesn't come close to getting the most out of his players.

His days are numbered unless we somehow manage not to get blown out by Michigan next week. In other words, his days are numbered. He's coaching for his job from here on out.

You're honor! I'd like this statement stricken from the record!

Too late dude... Changing coaches would set us back. Way back. With Callahan there were many games where we knew we couldn't win the game. With every game with Pelini at the helm, I feel we have a shot to win so long as we do not shoot ourselves in the foot. Unfortunately, we do shoot oursleves in the foot way too often. I think the better plan is to give Bo time to fix this and see what needs to be changed either from a scheme, his own coaching or his asisstants. If we fire Pelini, like many have said, we will look like fools once again and nobody is going to want to coach here. To the OP, you are full of it...you have been against Pelini from day 1 on here...

• Fire 2
Changing coaches would set us back. Way back. With Callahan there were many games where we knew we couldn't win the game. With every game with Pelini at the helm, I feel we have a shot to win so long as we do not shoot ourselves in the foot. Unfortunately, we do shoot oursleves in the foot way too often. I think the better plan is to give Bo time to fix this and see what needs to be changed either form a scheme, his own coaching or his asisstants. If we fire Pelini, like many have said, we will look like fools once again and nobody is going to want to coach here. To the OP, you are full of it...you have been against Pelini from day 1 on here...

^^ This. Doesn't anyone remember how painful and disruptive it is to hire a new coach? It's not like we would instantly get better. We would likely lose most of the recruiting class. And we would have a roster full of guys who don't necessarily fit the new schemes (on both sides of the ball). The best we could hope for is two or three throw-away years while the new staff gets things going their way. Even then we might not be any better than now. The best option for NU is to stay the course with Pelini. I would feel the same way if we had failed to convert that last TD and NW won the game.

/+1 to Joe.. And, oh yeah, this thread is chock full of win. Stupidity and win! :lol:

• Fire 2

I'm still with Bo, but I'm starting to think that Beck needs to go. We are trending more and more toward a passive, finesse style of offense, and it's not gonna work unless we get Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin as our QB. I like Taylor also, but this style of play does not put him in a position to be overly successful.

I am a big fan of Pro-Style offense. You can add enough wrinkles into play action passes and counter runs to make the offense unpredictable. I just hate being in the shotgun all the time.

What ever happened to the pistol formation?

This....Kind of annoys me. Or these kinds of posts should I say. Our offense is doing just fine. 40 PPG and over 500yards of offense. That should win you games, period.

Also, its not like Martinez has a 160+ passer rating.....or ranked in the top 15 in efficiency or anything. May nto be the prettiest, but he's getting it done.

I'm not in the fire Bo camp, but I'm getting darn sick and tired of seeing the lack of focus and sound fundamentals. Do we even have another punter on the team? Maher's punts are either good or terrible. There's very little in between. We beat Northwestern in spite of ourselves. It looked like we were doing everything humanly possible to gift wrap that game and hand it to Northwestern.