Defensive Game Plan

EZ-E

Anyone else notice that it almost appeared that we came out in a Peso against NW??? I could be totally wrong, but it appeared that we just went back to the way we played defense in the Big 12, which NW is basically a Big 12 offense in the BIG.

We have some young talent on this team. Santos made some plays Saturday in which he appeared he was being shot out of a cannon.

Anyone else notice that it almost appeared that we came out in a Peso against NW??? I could be totally wrong, but it appeared that we just went back to the way we played defense in the Big 12, which NW is basically a Big 12 offense in the BIG.

We have some young talent on this team. Santos made some plays Saturday in which he appeared he was being shot out of a cannon.

I loved the way Santos blew up that option play. That's the way you see that played when you watch Bama play against options. I jumped up and went crazy over that one also.

I loved the way Santos blew up that option play. That's the way you see that played when you watch Bama play against options. I jumped up and went crazy over that one also.

Suprisingly I jumped up on a lot of defensive plays. I also jumped up and screamed when the Northwestern DLineman came in to sack Martinez untouched. Lol.

I think we will have the same defensive scheme against Michigan, as we all know Robinson doesn't have an arm. I like how Joseph stuck to what he said, and devoted DB's to stop the run as well. Pressuring their WR's at the line threw their timing out the window and our secondary is stout. Only thing I would complain about is Safety play on the defense.

I wouldnt be surprised to see this from here on out. This whole "bigger, conventional offense in Big 10" nonsense is so overblown and has been since day one. Football is a speed game, and has been for a while. Sure conventional power teams like Wisconsin and Michigan St. may pick for their yards, but I dont see how having more speed while sacrificing 15-20 pounds over a couple, maybe 3 guys, can hurt that much. Their lineman cant block 2 or 3 guys at once, and the swarming on a running back, well, I doubt even Leveon Bell could run through 2-3 safety/corner size guys compared to one linebacker type. I think Bo's gonna start to say to hell with it. We're going back to what we know and what these guys were brought here to do. We're gonna do it our way and no more adjusting to what the other team does. We're gonna be the dictator, I HOPE.

I thought it was very telling when Michael Wilbon from PTI said that the combination of size and speed from NU is something you only see in the SEC.

My one qualm with the defense is once we get to Robinson this week in the backfield, we need to make the play for a loss. Too many times did we have three guys around Colter in the backfield only for him to squirt up the middle for 6-7.

I hope that Bo is on the phone with Saban this week asking him what they did to shut down Robinson. We all know that these guys have a ton of mutual respect.

Michigan likes to drop Robinson back for a pass and then have him run through a hole in the pocket- kind of a long developing draw play. I'm looking for our D-line to be disciplined and push the pocket in a more contained way and not take the path of least resistance. Or create the hole ourselves and have a LB ready to meet him in.

This was the defense I was screaming for the entire year. IMO, our secondary is good enough to put on an island and play man-to-man. They were pressing the receivers from NW each and every play. It also appeared we somewhat scrapped the two gap allowing the DL to roam free and penetrate. The long TD run sucked, but the passing TD was more of a great throw than anything else because SJB was there. If we play this style against Michigan, I like our chances.

I wouldnt be surprised to see this from here on out. This whole "bigger, conventional offense in Big 10" nonsense is so overblown and has been since day one. Football is a speed game, and has been for a while. Sure conventional power teams like Wisconsin and Michigan St. may pick for their yards, but I dont see how having more speed while sacrificing 15-20 pounds over a couple, maybe 3 guys, can hurt that much. Their lineman cant block 2 or 3 guys at once, and the swarming on a running back, well, I doubt even Leveon Bell could run through 2-3 safety/corner size guys compared to one linebacker type. I think Bo's gonna start to say to hell with it. We're going back to what we know and what these guys were brought here to do. We're gonna do it our way and no more adjusting to what the other team does. We're gonna be the dictator, I HOPE.

AMEN!