We're 16 days from the start of the season, only 12 days from seeing the team in action. I can't contain my excitement any longer, so I figured we might as well get the conversation started. No need to talk about the conference slate just yet, but let's look at the noncon. The schedule is:

Southern

Valpo

UNO

Tulane

Kent ST

@Wake

USC

Creighton

@Oregon

Jacksonville ST

Central Michigan (Sun Bowl Invite - El Paso, TX)

UTEP/Ark. Pine Bluff (Sun Bowl Invite - El Paso, TX)

Nicholls ST

We all know this has been deemed a "throw-away" season by the fans, but there is still some talent on the floor. The problem will be depth and the experience of what little depth is there. I think the 3 seniors (Ubel, AA, Talley) provide enough talent/experience/leadership to pull this team through the noncon fairly well. Maybe a slip up game in those first 5 against maybe a Valpo, but hopefully it results in a close game, not a loss. My rose colored glasses say they'll go 2-2 in the Wake-Oregon stretch, although 1-3 far more likely and possibly 0-4. They should win the remaining 4, but again could have a slip up.

I really want to say 9-4, for now I'm going to go with 8-5, but reserve the right to increase the win total if the young guys look like they're ready to play.

I think we will be 11-21. We might be a couple games better if Biggs plays but I don't think we will be .500. Next year we add some nice players and I think that will put us up to .500 or up to 17 wins. Need to sign some PF's. The following year I think we will be around 19. The next 21 and dancing. That's my expectations unless we get lightning in a bottle on the recruiting front like a Tyrus Jones, Okafor or White.

Last year we lost three in the non-con after finding a way to sneak out of USC with a W.

I'll be happy with any win in the Wake-USC-Creighton-Oregon stretch. I could also see us slipping to Valpo, one of the Sun Bowl games and maybe throw one other in because you never know.

Fewer than six losses would be good from where I sit.

Last year we lost three in the non-con after finding a way to sneak out of USC with a W.

I'll be happy with any win in the Wake-USC-Creighton-Oregon stretch. I could also see us slipping to Valpo, one of the Sun Bowl games and maybe throw one other in because you never know.

Fewer than six losses would be good from where I sit.

Agree.......especially after hearing the rumors that our "secret" scrimmage with Iowa St had them dominating us...........and that we struggled to score.

I think Smiles eventually gets it done, but he's working with severe limitations this season.