announcers NU vs. Mich

Okay, first let me say that this crew was not anywhere near as bad as Joey Galloway and that low talking chick, or Cuntingham, or some of the others we have had to endure...but Smith goes by P.J. not J.P. and bad enough that he repeatedly called him J.P., but he made it worse by describing his interception by putting words to the wrong inititals...he said J.P. is "just pleased". I think after calling him J.P. for nearly the entire game, he finally got it right late in the second half.

But....not to be outdone by her comrades in the booth, the sideline reporter (the woman with the crooked boxer's nose, dressed like a bag lady) made a comment about "John Baptist" when talking about Stanley Jean-Baptiste. Hey, I think SJB is a pretty good player, and he may be a great guy...but I don't think he should be raised to the level of the guy who baptised Jesus...

They were alright. Better than a lot of crews we've had, except for Nessler and Blackledge, those two guys are the best.

Completely agree. Nessler and Blackledge are brilliant.

Announcers are what they are. From an outsider's perspective, announcing a game sounds easy enough, but there's a lot of preparation and challenges that go into doing play-by-play and color analysis, especially if you're from ESPN. These guys do a different game every week, meaning they have to study two completely new teams, learn rosters, read up on story lines, watch film, do interviews with the staff, and then put it all together into a coherent broadcast. Yes they do get paid to do this, but you can't expect them to be perfect or even near-perfect when they're not around this team 24/7 like a guy like Greg Sharpe is. As long as they don't interject bad opinions or completely screw up something big over and over again, I'm OK. Messing up a player's name several times is going to happen.

• Fire 1

They were alright. Better than a lot of crews we've had, except for Nessler and Blackledge, those two guys are the best.

Announcers are what they are. From an outsider's perspective, announcing a game sounds easy enough, but there's a lot of preparation and challenges that go into doing play-by-play and color analysis, especially if you're from ESPN. These guys do a different game every week, meaning they have to study two completely new teams, learn rosters, read up on story lines, watch film, do interviews with the staff, and then put it all together into a coherent broadcast. Yes they do get paid to do this, but you can't expect them to be perfect or even near-perfect when they're not around this team 24/7 like a guy like Greg Sharpe is. As long as they don't interject bad opinions or completely screw up something big over and over again, I'm OK. Messing up a player's name several times is going to happen.

That's a good point.

I do some play-by-play/color commentary for the radio station I work for, and there's a lot of studying required, be it stats, the history of the coaching staff/players, etc. And that's just for local teams. These guys have to know things about the team that would be interesting to a national audience that doesn't know either team like the back of their hand.

I don't get too hung up on what the commentators say, because at least with TV you can see what the teams are doing.

Seemed to be VERY pro-Denard. (Which is understandable considering what the result was)

Example: 1st Q he went back to pass, containing pass rush and GREAT coverage (he couldn't find any where to pass) and scrambled out of bounds for a couple of yards.

Announcers "That was great patience on the part of Denard"

I think the only game film they watched on the Huskers was the Ohio St film - seemed perplexed that we could adjust our defense based on what we learned at that game.

Anyone else HATE how many "corn" features are tacked onto commercial breaks. For heavens sake, show downtown Lincoln, the Haymarket, Campus, aerial stadium shots... but Herbie running through corn stalks?! Really?

My roommate and I complain about this every time we have a big game on national TV.

For the love of Pete, can we please stop reinforcing the stereotype that all we do in the Midwest is play in corn?!

the nessler crew is a bunch of proffesionals. I wish we had them every game.

Anyone else HATE how many "corn" features are tacked onto commercial breaks. For heavens sake, show downtown Lincoln, the Haymarket, Campus, aerial stadium shots... but Herbie running through corn stalks?! Really?

My roommate and I complain about this every time we have a big game on national TV.

For the love of Pete, can we please stop reinforcing the stereotype that all we do in the Midwest is play in corn?!

But that is what we do. Vala's Pumpkin Patch. 24/7. And it's "just outside of Lincoln." Where everyone goes before, during, and after they are done husking corn and feedin' the cows.

• Fire 1