Less than Average Defense?

Zaimejs

3 picks 3 Pi calls...that helped them a ton, a couple big plays too...defense did a decent job, we play just a bit cleaner and i have no worries about our next three games...also the defense is getting better, with a servicable defense we will be pretty good next year, considering how good the offense can be. we played texas tech a few years ago and they put some points on us, not easily but they did, no one else seemed to do that, soooooo......that proves how good our offense is against maybe one of the best defenses in the country

I think Penn is better than most give them credit for. They worry me.

We better treat every game like it is the Rose Bowl or we are going to the Toliet Bowl! It would be a shame to win PSU, which I think will be a tough but very winnable game, only to lose one of our final two regular season games.

Michigan is going to get curb stomped by OSU. We will therefore have at least a one game cushion, I do believe.

I could also see them dropping one to Northwestern this week if they don't come out ready to play.

We have to take care of business... But the position we're sitting in could be a LOT worse.

To be honest, the defense has taken a major step backwards after Carl Pelini left for FAU.

Papuchis better figure this out or he's got to go.

This is way off the mark. With the way that Michigan State actually dedicated themselves to running Bell yesterday they probably would have beaten us last year with the same gameplan. Much improved stopping the run this year especially the past few weeks and much improved LB play as of late.

I see nothing but improvement from last year.

I thought we were improving too this year but not from last year. We finished ranked 64th in rushing defense last year, currently 87th.

I thought it would be interesting to look at MSU's last 5 games and choice of run vs pass. MSU ran on us more than any of their previous 4 opponents. Not sure what to make of it other then they thought it would be their best chance against us. The result of their horrible game plan from last year might have something to do with it. Here are the completion/attempts and carries for their last 5 games. Iowa's defense played well against MSU.

Nebraska. 9/27. 43 carries

Wisconsin 24/39. 28 carries

Michigan 21/34 31 carries

Iowa. 12/31. 39 carries

Indiana. 24/40. 42 carries

Good post, I would say that overall I have a lot more confidence in our rush defense this year than last. I would also ask where we were to date last year as oppose to this year? We have time and three opponents that won't exactly run us into the ground.

Going off what EZ said about certain plays eating the bulk of Bell's yards, there was at least three times when Stafford came flying in to fill and whiffed bigger than life that turned a for yard gain at most into 15+ yarders.

His biggest run came on three third and sort where he broke free and there was no one there due to loading the LOS. Guys were there in position to make the tackle but didn't.

Finally let's not forget who was running the ball. Bell isn't chopped liver. He has impressed many on the national level. Probably an easy pick for first team all conference.

Going off what EZ said about certain plays eating the bulk of Bell's yards, there was at least three times when Stafford came flying in to fill and whiffed bigger than life that turned a for yard gain at most into 15+ yarders.

His biggest run came on three third and sort where he broke free and there was no one there due to loading the LOS. Guys were there in position to make the tackle but didn't.

Finally let's not forget who was running the ball. Bell isn't chopped liver. He has impressed many on the national level. Probably an easy pick for first team all conference.

Wont see a back like that the rest of the year.

I want someone to do the research and post the percentage of Bell's yards that came from a select few plays that he broke. Im not good at this sort of thing. It seemed like he was getting stuffed for no or little gain on numerous occasions.

I'm missing a couple of plays for 8 yards but of 41 carries here is how their yards were gained.

<= 3 yards 24 carries 21 yards

4-6 yards. 7. carries 32 yards

7-10 yards. 4. carries 34 yards

>= 11 yards 6. carries 143 yards

A lot of runs were stopped for short yardage.

By quarter the carries/yards

1st 9/56

2nd 6/57

3rd 16/86

4th 10/30

Bad third quarter.

• Fire 1
I want someone to do the research and post the percentage of Bell's yards that came from a select few plays that he broke. Im not good at this sort of thing. It seemed like he was getting stuffed for no or little gain on numerous occasions.

I'm missing a couple of plays for 8 yards but of 41 carries here is how their yards were gained.

<= 3 yards 24 carries 21 yards

4-6 yards. 7. carries 32 yards

7-10 yards. 4. carries 34 yards

>= 11 yards 6. carries 143 yards

A lot of runs were stopped for short yardage.

By quarter the carries/yards

1st 9/56

2nd 6/57

3rd 16/86

4th 10/30

Bad third quarter.

Seriously good work here. Nice job compiling those numbers.

You know it's interesting.. From the beginning of the year the entire defense was horrible. A few games later our db's looked better but our DL and LB's still looked horrible. Then a couple games later our DB's and LB's looked a little better yet but our DL still.. horrible. Then a couple games later our DB's and LB's are about where the were last improvement, and even our DL took a little step forward. So that's where we are now in my opinion. We have been and are getting a little better every week.

You know it's interesting.. From the beginning of the year the entire defense was horrible. A few games later our db's looked better but our DL and LB's still looked horrible. Then a couple games later our DB's and LB's looked a little better yet but our DL still.. horrible. Then a couple games later our DB's and LB's are about where the were last improvement, and even our DL took a little step forward. So that's where we are now in my opinion. We have been and are getting a little better every week.

I Agree, consistant improvement every week. If the defense had not done its job ... hell if they hadn't OVERperformed we'd be looking at 3 straight losses.

Kudos to John Papuchis for tailoring a defense to his players instead of try to fit square pegs into round holes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...