Discussion about secondary technique / coaching

This is not a hate thread, I'm actually trying to understand thing.

What I've gathered so far about the PI calls: it's apparently against the rules to have an arm wrapped around the receiver when trying to make a play on the ball - is that the case? And, in terms of consistency of this happening, is it something the players are taught to do?

Can that be changed?

Also, so many dropped INTs - why? Is it just poor catching ability? IT's almost like a 'bad habit' (one that needs to be dropped, yes, yes), but I wonder if its psychological or something that can be coached out of.

I guess a more main point of what I'm getting at is, what, if anything could be done differently in terms of having our secondary use good technique when identifying the ball and / or pursuing the ball while in the air? I'm hesitant to say it's just a matter of talent and/or instinct

Also, I heard some of the ESPN announcers say how because of the recent history of being penalty-happy, it makes the refs even more likely to throw the flag. IDK about that, and I think there have been bad calls on several teams. But I'm more wondering what , if anything, can be done by the actual players to improve or change. Or if this is something to simply expect and deal with.

What I've gathered so far about the PI calls: it's apparently against the rules to have an arm wrapped around the receiver when trying to make a play on the ball - is that the case? And, in terms of consistency of this happening, is it something the players are taught to do?

It's not something the players are taught. It's just a very natural reaction that your body wants to behave that way in that situation - same with not turning around to look for the ball. People constantly scream at the tv telling the players to turn around and look for it, but anyone who has played pass coverage in actual football knows how hard it is to train yourself to do that - your body just does not want to behave that way.

It's not something the players are taught. It's just a very natural reaction that your body wants to behave that way in that situation - same with not turning around to look for the ball. People constantly scream at the tv telling the players to turn around and look for it, but anyone who has played pass coverage in actual football knows how hard it is to train yourself to do that - your body just does not want to behave that way.

Exactly. They are also told, if you can't turn around, play the receivers hands. That is exactly what Blatchford did on that critical pass breakup in the 4th.

I am not upset about the PI calls, for the fact that, they were legit. Some refs allow contact, these ones did not. Same for the illegal formations on the offensive line. MANY allow them to adjust, the ones in the Northwestern game did not.

Like Sam said in his article this morning, Bo, Dantonio, and Urban Meyer need to get together and make the Big 10 refs accept pressing coverage. Those are the only 3 teams in the Big 10 that will play alot of press man coverage and the Big 10 refs just arent used to seeing it. To become more like the SEC the refs need to start being more lienent on this, sorry we have the athletes to play up on the reciever. Im glad the coaches arent changing the approach thou, we saw what happened last year when we did. IMO all of those PI calls were bogus, even the Dennard one was BS that was great coverage.

I have no problem with the way that we play coverage. In today's day and age, every advantage is given to the offense because spectators don't appreciate defense as much as high-scoring "basketball on turf" games. I disagree with this, and I'd much rather see Nebraska win a game 10-6 than 45-42.

IMO, if the receivers are able to be physical, the DBs should be able to be as well. These ticky tack penalties are just frustrating.

I have no problem with the way that we play coverage. In today's day and age, every advantage is given to the offense because spectators don't appreciate defense as much as high-scoring "basketball on turf" games. I disagree with this, and I'd much rather see Nebraska win a game 10-6 than 45-42.

IMO, if the receivers are able to be physical, the DBs should be able to be as well. These ticky tack penalties are just frustrating.

Exactly. The Baylor/WV game earlier this year was the most disgusting disgrace to the sport of football I have ever seen. Arena League defenses were vomiting.

The style of pass defense we play is something the Big Ten has never seen before we joined the league. Watching the LSU/Bama game I came to the conclussion that the Big Ten refs would lose their minds if they were calling that game, thats how defense should be played.