2012 Election Night Containment Thread

I really hope you guys don't' consider me in the same light as these folks :( It's beyond frustrating seeing the way so many of my Christian brothers and sisters behave and their close-mindedness towards anything and everything.

You were obviously looking for some type of a reaction, and you got it. That's all I meant.

You make it so hard to be mad at you sometime. I fundamentally disagree with you about a lot of religious things, but you seem to be a damn good guy and more tolerant/open minded than most outspoken Christians.

The moderates need to take the reigns of the GOP to help bridge the gap to minorities, women, and gays, or it will go the way of the Whig or Tory parties...and this means more social and Federal programming, and much less Bible thumping and religious zealotry.

Frankly, Jon Huntsman would have been a great moderate to run up there...

It's interesting to factor in the primary process in all this too. The 2008 Democratic primary produced a battle tested candidate and a well oiled campaign machine that rolled on to a landslide victory. The 2008 Republican primary produced the best of who was left, and in 2012 it was essentially bought by a guy who was haplessly contorting his positions right up until today. It's scary to think what Republican primary voters will demand next time around.

The primary killed Romney. He spent too much time trying to win his conservative base that has a stranglehold on the Republicans right now. The problem is that the independent rational voters he needed in the general election saw that also and said thanks but no thanks.

I really hope you guys don't' consider me in the same light as these folks :( It's beyond frustrating seeing the way so many of my Christian brothers and sisters behave and their close-mindedness towards anything and everything.

Haha, oh no, definitely not. It was the comment section that had me rolling

Fischer handily gonna win the Senate seat. But oh noes, she's going to steal our land!

can you clarify this for me?

There have been political ads going across Nebraska that Deb Fischer (who won Senate tonight in Nebraska) sued an old couple for their land or something of this nature

She and her husband sued a neighbor for abject possession, what is commonly known as 'squatters rights' in an attempt to take the land. It amounts to they claimed that the grazing(for two weeks a year) meant that the neighbors had essentially abandoned the land, and as the Fischers were using it, that they were entitled to it.

Then after the owners won, they tried to donate the land to the State of Nebraska as a park to allow it to be used for hunting and fishing open to the public as any other state park. Fischer blocked it in the legislature.

Add that in with her comments about there not being a single Democrat in the Senate that she thought she could work with, and her signing the Grover Norquist pledge, and all Nebraskans did is elect another mindless drone to vote along the party line, and do nothing.

Just like the idiots who keep voting for Lee Terry. A guy who has been in congress for 14 years, and has nothing to show for it. Virtually no bills written (unless you count renaming a post office) that have been passed, and is not chairing any important committee.

Fischer handily gonna win the Senate seat. But oh noes, she's going to steal our land!

can you clarify this for me?

There have been political ads going across Nebraska that Deb Fischer (who won Senate tonight in Nebraska) sued an old couple for their land or something of this nature

so she's not going to show up and demand I give her the farm?

The moderates need to take the reigns of the GOP to help bridge the gap to minorities, women, and gays, or it will go the way of the Whig or Tory parties...and this means more social and Federal programming, and much less Bible thumping and religious zealotry.

It's interesting to factor in the primary process in all this too. The 2008 Democratic primary produced a battle tested candidate and a well oiled campaign machine that rolled on to a landslide victory. The 2008 Republican primary produced the best of who was left, and in 2012 it was essentially bought by a guy who was haplessly contorting his positions right up until today. It's scary to think what Republican primary voters will demand next time around.

The primary killed Romney. He spent too much time trying to win his conservative base that has a stranglehold on the Republicans right now. The problem is that the independent rational voters he needed in the general election saw that also and said thanks but no thanks.

In all fairness, Mitt had to herp-a-derp to cover for some personal warts, including but not limited to his Mormonism.

Not saying its right, but let's not forget that until the past 20 years or so, Mormonism and the GOP were political oil and water due to the religion being viewed as a cult by the party and its voters.

For the more geriatric, southern, bible-thumping GOP voter, it's hard to hold your nose, hold your cane, and pull the voting lever at the same time.

In all fairness, Mitt had to herp-a-derp to cover for some personal warts, including but not limited to his Mormonism.

Not saying its right, but let's not forget that until the past 20 years or so, Mormonism and the GOP were political oil and water due to the religion being viewed as a cult by the party and its voters.

For the more geriatric, southern, bible-thumping GOP voter, it's hard to hold your nose, hold your cane, and pull the voting lever at the same time.

Very true, that definitely contributed to his need to appeal to the ultra conservatives more than say a McCain would have to. Made it near impossible for him in the general election though, to the point that he never really gave details on his plan. Hard to win the Independent vote that way as they will actually analyze what is being said.