ESPN says Big 10 trying to get Maryland and Rutgers

Because Maryland is in the ACC...the same conference that just pulled in Notre Dame for basketball...WoodyHayes1951 and I are on the same page...this HAS to be a small step for a larger outcome...

Absolutely!

It's NO Coincidence that Delaney is a Tar Heel grad. The Centerpiece of the ACC and coveted by the SEC for decades :B)

What happens when the centerpiece of the conference leaves? Chain reaction chuckleshuffle

Let's all keep this news in perspective. Remember back before the word came out that Nebraska would officially join the Big Ten Conference, the news flying around was that Missouri would join the Big Ten. So when it was announced that it was actually Nebraska instead of Missouri who would be joining the Big Ten, it came as a huge surprise to many of us casual fans, but also to many respected...veteran journalists.

So these rumors about Maryland and Rutgers potentially joining the Big Ten has me thinking either one two things are true:

1. These rumors are correct and Maryland and Rutgers will join the Big Ten.
  2. Or, these rumors about Maryland and Rutgers are actually just a big smoke screen that will lead to something else.

Who knows the Big Ten could be expanding South or West for all we know? At the end of the day until an actual official announcement is made, I am just going to treat all of this information like it should be.....as a rumor.

Because Maryland is in the ACC...the same conference that just pulled in Notre Dame for basketball...WoodyHayes1951 and I are on the same page...this HAS to be a small step for a larger outcome...

Absolutely!

It's NO Coincidence that Delaney is a Tar Heel grad. The Centerpiece of the ACC and coveted by the SEC for decades :B)

What happens when the centerpiece of the conference leaves? Chain reaction chuckleshuffle

But what happens when the fringe team of a conference goes? Not too much.

If we want to pillage the ACC, why not go for 2 ACC teams?

Rutgers is close to NY, but I really don't think they will pull in that many TVs in NY.

If the conferences left standing have to go to 16 teams, there will be a grab for the best teams, so maybe we don't want to get left with the scraps. But it seems instead that we are beating the rush and taking the scraps now. That's probably not really fair, Maryland isn't that bad, and Rutgers is actually ranked right now, but still, it doesn't seem like this is who we really want.

Absolutely!

But what happens when the fringe team of a conference goes? Not too much.

If we want to pillage the ACC, why not go for 2 ACC teams?

Rutgers is close to NY, but I really don't think they will pull in that many TVs in NY.

If the conferences left standing have to go to 16 teams, there will be a grab for the best teams, so maybe we don't want to get left with the scraps. But it seems instead that we are beating the rush and taking the scraps now. That's probably not really fair, Maryland isn't that bad, and Rutgers is actually ranked right now, but still, it doesn't seem like this is who we really want.

Give it time with the two ACC teams. This is a game of Risk. Progress needs to be made before the conquer.

NJ and NYC might not WATCH but they still will PAY and The Big Ten will use it as bargaining chips. The goal is to get on Basic Cable everywhere. Suddenly the Big Ten is in the most heavily populated area in the country. more cash for everyone.

And who knows about Rutgers, They are 9-1. You go start playing Big Ten teams with huge fanbases/Alumni bases then things might get interesting. Don't tell me they wouldn't be excited about a PSU vs RU game.

Maryland might suck but I tell you, They have a skill player in Stefon Diggs who was offered by all 12 Big Ten schools(or if they didn't it's because they knew they couldn't get him). They have the potential to get talent.

ESPN is right on their "reports" about 50% of the time or less (anyone remember the famous "breaking news: Les Miles leaving national title contender LSU to go to Michigan"), but now they're saying B1G is after Maryland and likely Rutgers. If this is true, it's a pretty embarrassing step for the conference IMO. After Nebraska and Colorado left the Big 12 and dominos started falling, the B1G was talking about big acquisitions like Texas or Notre Dame. Maryland and Rutgers?? This is purely a greedy play to get more viewers to shell out for the Big 10 Network rather than expanding the prestige of the conference. I would much rather have taken Missouri than these guys. Maryland will be a big power in basketball, but that sport isn't what drives these decisions.

On the plus side, assuming both teams get subsumed into the Leaders division, it will push one of the current Leaders creampuffs like Indiana or Purdue into the Legends. Then again, with teams like Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana it is kind of a joke to refer to these teams are either Leaders or Legends!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpr2KAj23AE

I will say this if the ACC doesn't try to keep Maryland what does that tell how much they covet Maryland? not much. If they let Maryland walk so easily we shouldn't think that there is something about Maryland that makes them so attractive. If they do join the Big Ten i wouldn't hate it but just question how much they really offer if the ACC didn't think they offered that much to keep them? Also looks like a lot of the regents are pissed that they didn't know til late.