ESPN says Big 10 trying to get Maryland and Rutgers

If this really goes through.... I agree with another poster that asked what would happen to our "division".....does common sense say it is Illinois and/or Wiscy that come our way?

thoughts?

Michigan, MSU, Wiscy, Nebraska......battling every year to be top dog

Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota,... battling for positioning?

That would leave

OSU....battling.......(crickets)

PSU (knocked dead), Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinios

** This scenario wouldn't be very "even" in terms of competitive football teams

** I could see Wiscy and Ilinios coming our way and MSU or Mich moving back to other side

Geography and tradition appear to mean very little to college football anymore. Conferences are now acting like NBA franchises, grabbing and letting go of schools to keep up with the competition, create marketing opportunities, expand their brand and ultimately make a little more money. College football has been big business for decades now. There's no stopping that. But the recent trend of unrivaled conference realignment has gone too far, in my opinion. To see iconic rivalries like Texas-TAMU thrown out with such little regard for the importance of the sport's tradition is sad.

• Fire 1

Because Maryland is in the ACC...the same conference that just pulled in Notre Dame for basketball...WoodyHayes1951 and I are on the same page...this HAS to be a small step for a larger outcome...

Absolutely!

It's NO Coincidence that Delaney is a Tar Heel grad. The Centerpiece of the ACC and coveted by the SEC for decades :B)

What happens when the centerpiece of the conference leaves? Chain reaction chuckleshuffle

Mentioned in the other thread about this...another poster made a point about GaTech being a more likely target...maybe this is simply a move to put pressure on some other schools that the BIG is considering...it's just funny how this news came out of the blue. Delaney kept NU a secret pretty long and it was missouri thinking they were in...

Rutgers must have a lot of alumni in NYC, also doesn't coach pap have a recruiting connection in Maryland and thats how we got Ankrah and current recruit newby adding Maryland could help this even more, what better schools could we get? Notre Dame isn't gonna go anywhere unless the ACC falls apart which maybe what this is ultimately for

If the B1G really wants to get to 16, which is likely the eventual goal, and wants to get their #1 prize (Notre Dame) then why not add Pitt and Boston College? Both seem to fit the B1G just as well, if not better than Rutgers and Maryland, and both share the distinction of being huge rivals of Notre Dame. With BC, Pitt, Michigan, Purdue, and MSU being in the B1G, it seems that it would be more likely that ND would like to join the conference with another one of their historic rivals, say, Georgia Tech. The one obstacle would of course be the NBC contract and the $$$$$$$$, but a B1G conference with an expanded footprint and with Notre Dame would fetch unheard-of quantities of TV rights money. So the money might be closer than you think.

If the B1G really wants to get to 16, which is likely the eventual goal, and wants to get their #1 prize (Notre Dame) then why not add Pitt and Boston College? Both seem to fit the B1G just as well, if not better than Rutgers and Maryland, and both share the distinction of being huge rivals of Notre Dame. With BC, Pitt, Michigan, Purdue, and MSU being in the B1G, it seems that it would be more likely that ND would like to join the conference with another one of their historic rivals, say, Georgia Tech. The one obstacle would of course be the NBC contract and the $$$$$$$$, but a B1G conference with an expanded footprint and with Notre Dame would fetch unheard-of quantities of TV rights money. So the money might be closer than you think.

this is true. I think ND is the ultimate prize

I don't think ND will ever join the B10. They want to remain independent....it's part of their tradition...their alum wouldn't stand for ND to join a conference for football. So, I don't think that there is anything bigger. The B10 wants to expand it's market base....it's as simple as that. I think it sucks, though. I like the way the B10 conferences are set-up and the match-ups. Maryland and Rutgers would screw that up.

If this really goes through.... I agree with another poster that asked what would happen to our "division".....does common sense say it is Illinois and/or Wiscy that come our way?

thoughts?

Michigan, MSU, Wiscy, Nebraska......battling every year to be top dog

Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota,... battling for positioning?

That would leave

OSU....battling.......(crickets)

PSU (knocked dead), Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinios

** This scenario wouldn't be very "even" in terms of competitive football teams

** I could see Wiscy and Ilinios coming our way and MSU or Mich moving back to other side

Take Wisky and keep Sparty.

That way we can keep our long time relationship with the U of I and the skunkweasels can end the season with us with ZERO chance of a rematch.