What do we need to do to beat Iowa?

ladyhawke

I was listening to Damon Benning on 1620 the Zone yesterday and he brought up a good point: Iowa is in a very dangerous position right now. They have nothing to lose in playing us and everything to gain, namely some respect for the rest of their season. Someone else, said that Iowa is like a 'woman scorned' right now so Iowa could be dangerous. Damon said that they aren't a very athletic team and frankly they aren't very good. He also said that this would be a great time for Nebraska to pull out all the stops and really play well. Make this a statement game. I agree. I think this is a very dangerous game only because we haven't had one of those 'Northwestern 2011' games this year (or remember that awful time that Iowa State beat us!! How embarrassing!) I don't want to have one of those types of games. I really hope that Bo has the team ready-that they are focused and play a complete ball game! What do you think?

I think we have had the NW moments several times this year. We just happened to actually find a way to win.

I like that against Minnesota, we ere ahead and stayed ahead. Something the team wasn't used to. IIRC, Iowa leads the B1G with TO's, we are at the bottom. We need to play mistake free. No TO's and no stupid penalties. I would like to see us come out fast and hard, punch them in the mouth and let them realize quickly that this is not a game, or a fight, but an a$$ kicking.

As mentioned above, Iowa has nothing to lose. This is their bowl game, season, revenge for last year and losing Kaz all rolled into one. In a word, a dangerous game at the end of a long season.

I do not think the team is looking ahead as they realize that this has been one tough year. Bo's one game at a time has been engrained in these guys. I think they will come out ready to play and will build on the success of last week as it relates to a solid 4 quarters in all 3 phases.

GBR!!!!!!!!

I think we have had the NW moments several times this year. We just happened to actually find a way to win.

I like that against Minnesota, we ere ahead and stayed ahead. Something the team wasn't used to. IIRC, Iowa leads the B1G with TO's, we are at the bottom. We need to play mistake free. No TO's and no stupid penalties. I would like to see us come out fast and hard, punch them in the mouth and let them realize quickly that this is not a game, or a fight, but an a$$ kicking.

As mentioned above, Iowa has nothing to lose. This is their bowl game, season, revenge for last year and losing Kaz all rolled into one. In a word, a dangerous game at the end of a long season.

I do not think the team is looking ahead as they realize that this has been one tough year. Bo's one game at a time has been engrained in these guys. I think they will come out ready to play and will build on the success of last week as it relates to a solid 4 quarters in all 3 phases.

GBR!!!!!!!!

I hope you're right Lo! I too, hope that we come out and play smash mouth football. GBR!!

Stay focused, understand that our destiny is still in our own hands and that ticket to Indy isn't punched until we win this game. Don't leave fate in the hands of the Michigan vs. Ohio State game. Don't play stupid, use this as a game to continue to tighten things up and build on the Minnesota game. We are going to need to play mistake free football if we make it to Indy. Remember, "Destiny isn't a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!" Live those words, believe those words, keep destiny in your hands and leave no doubt who the best team in the Legends is and eventually who the best team in the B1G is.......................NOW BRING THAT TROPHY BACK TO LINCOLN!

• Fire 2

Stay focused, understand that our destiny is still in our own hands and that ticket to Indy isn't punched until we win this game. Don't leave fate in the hands of the Michigan vs. Ohio State game. Don't play stupid, use this as a game to continue to tighten things up and build on the Minnesota game. We are going to need to play mistake free football if we make it to Indy. Remember, "Destiny isn't a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!" Live those words, believe those words, keep destiny in your hands and leave no doubt who the best team in the Legends is and eventually who the best team in the B1G is.......................NOW BRING THAT TROPHY BACK TO LINCOLN!

Exactly! +1 good sir.

Also....stay mean. We've had an edge to us since the OSU debacle...this team has kind of had a pissed-off vibe ever since. Bring that down to Iowa City, crack 'em in the jaw a few times early on, and silence a crowd that's used to seeing their birds get sick all over the field this whole season.

That statue they've got behind center looks like a perfect candidate for Bo's Graveyard. These are the types of guys who wilt under our D the last few years. Hit 'em hard, hit 'em early...and make sure to wrap up low on that Mack truck of a running back. That kid is a good football player.

You never say never, but--

In Damon's defense, there's not much you can say about Iowa's actual play that's a cause for alarm, so to make this week of broadcasting bearable, you have to come up with something. The best anyone can do is break out old adages about rivalry games (which this isn't) or teams with nothing to lose. Nothing to lose? More like nothing to win. A Nebraska loss would almost certainly be a credit to their own self-destruction, and wouldn't much help explain the crazily subpar season Iowa has turned in or how much money their coach was payed for it.

On the game itself--or the on-paper version, anyway--we're strong everywhere they're weak, and they have no offense. If we have a bad day at the office offensively and put 17 points on the board, there's still an overwhelming chance we win or go into overtime. I don't know that there's a single position group I would swap with them if given the chance.

Long way of saying it, but I don't think this game is a question of if we win, but by how many touchdowns. The biggest concern of the second half should be how much time the backups get.

Be on time for the kick off.

Sorry but I hope they don't have this attitude. WE CANNOT DISMISS THIS GAME. I"m hoping that Bo brings this team ready to play-that the team has that 'pissed off' attitude that they've had since the tOSU game. I want to see them play an error-free game, hit early and hit hard. That they come ready to play and ready to win! GBR!!!

Iowa is a mess right now. Yes they can be dangerous, but they also could have guys that just want this year to end and have checked out.

That being said, offensively hold on to the ball. Turnovers have proven to be this offenses kryptonite at times and have caused some of the games this year to be closer than need be.

I think NU presses the edges and have a big day living outside. Iowa is actually decent up the middle. The quick screens to Jamal and Kenny, along with the sweeps and zone reads will open things up between the tackles.

Defensively, force Weissman east and west. Completely different back if he can't get going straight ahead. Cover the TEs. Until Vandenberg prices he can hit his WRs(this didn't happen until 8 minutes to goin their Michigan game). They actually are decent at that position, I'd take Fedorowitz on my team. Just stay the course for the game and continue to get stronger as a unit and the defense will be fine.

There is no real reason why this game should be close. NU does the exact things on offense that have killed Herky all year, and Herky plays right into the Blackshirts strength. All things point toward a laugher, but these are college aged kids and this is football so you play the game. Focus us all that NU needs to be locked in on

Be on time for the kick off.

Sorry but I hope they don't have this attitude. WE CANNOT DISMISS THIS GAME. I"m hoping that Bo brings this team ready to play-that the team has that 'pissed off' attitude that they've had since the tOSU game. I want to see them play an error-free game, hit early and hit hard. That they come ready to play and ready to win! GBR!!!

No need to be sorry.

I'm not planning on it. Got people coming over to watch it on the 60.

You are correct. Shut this guy down and they are toast. NU must, REPEAT, MUST make this a statement game and win astoundingly. Nothing short of a beat down will suffice. The Squawkeye fans that are there will be ugly and unforgiving. NU must shut them up and out !! And watch out for injury-inducing cheap shots.....the Squawks will try them on T-Magic and Kenny Bell

. MARK MY WORDS !!

GBR ...and Happy Thanksgiving all.

• Fire 1