the obvious

dtbugeater

let me state the obvious, because it is fun...

when it comes down to it, with a couple better 4th quarter plays against ucla we are in the national championship conversation. I'm not saying we should be in that conversation now, or that we haven't had our share of breaks (we have). Still, it is fun to think we are a play or two away from being in that conversation.

Of course we are only half a dozen plays away from being near .500 team that wants to fire its coach.

A close win over UCLA and the blowout loss at Ohio St would not have us in the NC converstation. Now that UCLA has had a solid season as many of us thought they would with a possible PAC12 championship, staying with a close loss in that game, in the second game of the year, but getting a win @ Ohio St would maybe have us in the talk, but being in the perceived crappy Big10, we would probably be back behind Oregon and Kansas St still for sure, in the 8-9 mark.

I actually heard an ESPN reporter say talk about "Nebraska's return to national prominence' so folks are talking about us again! We've moved up in the polls and we're headed for Indianapolis. If you want some real fun, go back to the old posts before the season started. What a hoot! So many people thought we would be 8-4 this year!! We're 10-2!!! Amazing! GBR!

Oh we would definitely have been in that NC picture with one loss. Florida got waxed by Georgia and they were next in line had notre dame lost. Ohio State went undefeated. Every team can have a bad game. We lost Rex in that game. We had some costly turnovers...we were on the road. Now we would've been behind Florida, Oregon and maybe even kstate but we would've been in the discussion.

Honestly, I think our two losses early in the season really sparked a sense of urgency with the team to win out. If we had held on to beat UCLA, who knows if the rest of the season plays out like it did.

Or maybe a win at UCLA builds confidence with the team while showing the major flaws on defense that we obviously needed to get fixed and the team rallies even harder.

There are just too many unmeasurable variables to tell what really would have happened. Which is why the game is played and the outcome is not decided by who "should" win the game.

Honestly, I think our two losses early in the season really sparked a sense of urgency with the team to win out. If we had held on to beat UCLA, who knows if the rest of the season plays out like it did.

Or maybe a win at UCLA builds confidence with the team while showing the major flaws on defense that we obviously needed to get fixed and the team rallies even harder.

There are just too many unmeasurable variables to tell what really would have happened. Which is why the game is played and the outcome is not decided by who "should" win the game.

I honestly don't think we would be where we are at right now if it wasn't for a loss at UCLA and an embarrassment at tOSU. Those two losses struck a nerve with Pelini and the whole team. I do believe, that is why we are where we are, and why you see them playing as hard as they can to win. If we would have beat UCLA, I am not sure our guys would have the drive they do now.

Now, if we would have beat UCLA, and lost to OSU, there would be no way we would be in National Title talk. Notre Dame, KSU, Oregon, Florida, Georgia and Alabama would all still be ahead of us, giving a #7 BCS spot and a #8 AP.

If we beat Wisky this weekend, we could break to #10, with a bowl win, I would be guessing #6-8.

Now, if we would have beat UCLA, and lost to OSU, there would be no way we would be in National Title talk. Notre Dame, KSU, Oregon, Florida, Georgia and Alabama would all still be ahead of us, giving a #7 BCS spot and a #8 AP.

Why would Kansas State be ahead of us in that scenario? They got demolished by Baylor.

The Ohio State loss was bad, but it was a close game throughout that got out of hand late. And Ohio State would more than likely be #1 in the country if they were eligible.

Baylor thrashed Kansas State for 4 quarters, and they were 4-5 at the time.

This is true, but if I had to pick what would have happend I still think we would have lost to OSU. We lost a close ugly game at UCLA. If we won that game, we would have won ugly and I don't think it would have been too much of a confidence builder. The bye week was a godsend as was a really close gut check game against an underrated Northwestern team. The real speculation(at least for me), where would we be if we eliminate half of our turnover?

Why would Kansas State be ahead of us in that scenario? They got demolished by Baylor.

The Ohio State loss was bad, but it was a close game throughout that got out of hand late. And Ohio State would more than likely be #1 in the country if they were eligible.

Baylor thrashed Kansas State for 4 quarters, and they were 4-5 at the time.

We have beaten one ranked team all year (when we played them). Michigan and Northwestern are the only B1G teams ranked, who we have defeated. Even if we would have defeated UCLA, that only gives us 3 teams top 25 who we would have defeated. KSU on the other hand, they beat #6 Oklahoma, #13 West Virginia, #14 Texas Tech & #23 Oklahoma State. Only two remain top 25, but their SOS is stronger than ours, especially to this point, and if they beat Texas this weekend, that could give them enough to jump Oregon, but I don't think it will happen. That is why KSU is above LSU. LSU has only lost to the #2 and #4 team.