Proud of My Huskers!!

mwj98

I'll just say it....it's been a very tough season. After Ohio State, I thought...well...7-5 aint so bad. But they turned it around. I really watch alot of football on saturdays, like everyone else. I see the same mistakes being made, coaches losing it on the sidelines and games lost, that maybe should have been won. So, in other words, we are no different. Except for one thing....the fans......

In my neighborhood, on any given Saturday, you can see an array of college football flags being flown. Of course, I had to get the biggest Nebraska fan I can find! I always....and I mean always have folks stop by (if I am outside) and talk about how great the fans are and how great a program we have. Most acknowledge the down years, but all and all, the fans and the program is what folks bring up.

Win or lose, we have the reputation of having excellent fans...we do have some bad apples are out there, but for the most part, we have dedicated and loyal fans.

Just wanted to say that I am proud of our Program and the State of Nebraska. Ironic that the company I work for has plants in Holdredge, Broken Bow and Columbus....didn't know until I started working for the company.

GBR!

• Fire 2

I'll just say it....it's been a very tough season. After Ohio State, I thought...well...7-5 aint so bad. But they turned it around. I really watch alot of football on saturdays, like everyone else. I see the same mistakes being made, coaches losing it on the sidelines and games lost, that maybe should have been won. So, in other words, we are no different. Except for one thing....the fans......

In my neighborhood, on any given Saturday, you can see an array of college football flags being flown. Of course, I had to get the biggest Nebraska fan I can find! I always....and I mean always have folks stop by (if I am outside) and talk about how great the fans are and how great a program we have. Most acknowledge the down years, but all and all, the fans and the program is what folks bring up.

Win or lose, we have the reputation of having excellent fans...we do have some bad apples are out there, but for the most part, we have dedicated and loyal fans.

Just wanted to say that I am proud of our Program and the State of Nebraska. Ironic that the company I work for has plants in Holdredge, Broken Bow and Columbus....didn't know until I started working for the company.

GBR!

You say "the company" and I can't help but think of prison break.

How big is your flag, I want to make it bigger.

I am very proud of the Nebraska fan base. I lived in Iowa for 15 years and always was proud to be a Husker and what that stood for. I always wished I lived back in Nebraska and had more people to get together with and watch games.

However, Now that I live in Nebraska, I find myself more and more just liking to stay home with my family and watch the game. Here are some examples of why:

I think it was the Michigan game where we were invited over to the house of a good friend of mine to watch the game. I was excited because I love sitting around with a group who are all interested in the game. BUT, all throughout the game all I heard were comments about how we need a new QB or how Bo just isn't getting it done...and on and on and on.

I just don't understand it. I like watching games with people who are positive about the program and team. I like getting excited and being happy when we are winning. One of the guys was even an all American athlete in college.

For the Iowa game, I had my elderly parents down to watch the game. I thought for sure this was a safe move. Nope....half way through the first quarter, my mom pipes up and says..."We are going to lose by two touch downs." WTF?????

My 12 year old son even commented on it after the game about how it isn't fun sitting around with people who make comments like that.

Last year my wife and I went to the OSU game. Biggest come back in Husker history. Right in the middle of the come back when everything is exciting and the crowd is rocking, Taylor makes a great pass across the middle for a key first down. I think the play went for 15-20 yards. I'm all pumped and I turn to the guy sitting beside me and all he says is..."He friggen threw behind the receiver again." WTF????

So, I love the Huskers and I love being proud of Husker Nation.

BUT, I am finding it harder and harder to enjoy watching a game with other people.

Buster...totally agree about needing the right company to watch with.

For me it's more of an intensity thing. I yell...a lot. I'm embarrassed about it when I'm watching with people I don't know well who are clearly judging my level of enthusiasm. :)

Side note, I wonder if anyone has any rage habits while watching games. I have a friend who used to have what we referred to as the "Smacking Ottoman." Just what it sounds like - an ottoman that he hit when he was pissed off during games lol. Probably sounds like the stupidest thing ever...but hilarious. It ended up needing to be duct taped back together on the top.

Hilarious.

I get mad and throw fits during games like probably anyone else. But I'm not one of them that sits and complains that no one is good enought. That's the reason i dont fork over the donation and get season tickets. My luck I would get stuck next to some grump that doesnt stand up, bitches at everyone else for standing, bitches about the team and coaches, nothing makes him happy, and it quite frankly an anomoly why he's even there. It's also why I watch road games at home with my wife and kids by ourselves. I tried the watch party thing once, and all it was was a bunch of know-it-alls.

For me it's more of an intensity thing. I yell...a lot. I'm embarrassed about it when I'm watching with people I don't know well who are clearly judging my level of enthusiasm. :)

Side note, I wonder if anyone has any rage habits while watching games. I have a friend who used to have what we referred to as the "Smacking Ottoman." Just what it sounds like - an ottoman that he hit when he was pissed off during games lol. Probably sounds like the stupidest thing ever...but hilarious. It ended up needing to be duct taped back together on the top.

Hilarious.

Smacking the ottoman :lol: Sounds like some weird sex move!

I used to throw my hat (a lot) during the Callahan years. I don't wear a hat as often anymore and I usually keep pretty calm. I prefer quiet optimism over loud, annoying negativity.

• Fire 1

I'm really proud of this team, too. There were a lot of people on here bashing on the team, and individual players, after UCLA and OSU. A lot of fight in this squad.

Touching on the OP's post about fans ...

Kansas City has a very large Nebraska contingent. When we moved across town, my parents house was in a 6 house cul de sac with 5, yes FIVE, Husker alumni families, and two others in the neighborhood. They started having outdoor watch parties and families from all over the subdivision would come down. Never heard anything but great things about how knowledgable and nice Husker fans are. Very proud of that.

I've also converted a few of my good friends into Huskers. One of the played Div. II college football and didn't really have a team to root for. He always was fond of Penn St. ironically and become a Husker supporter after the great display of sportsmanship last season in Happy Valley. Another friend had watched 3-4 Husker games with me in college. He came in town for the Michigan State game and he was hooting and hollering and cheering louder than me! He knew all of their names, and even knew it was Jamal's first career TD catch! Oh, and his 6'6" 300 lb. OL cousin committed to come play for us! I'll take credit for that one! Hahahah

Hilarious.

Smacking the ottoman :lol: Sounds like some weird sex move!

I used to throw my hat (a lot) during the Callahan years. I don't wear a hat as often anymore and I usually keep pretty calm. I prefer quiet optimism over loud, annoying negativity.

That is me. I get up and get another beer and plate of food. I yell and get up and jump when good things happen. When bad things happen I might mutter something to myself but pretty much stay quiet.