The Martinez Legacy?

Don't think he deserves the incredible amount of criticism he gets. Makes mistakes, but is electric and has improved a great deal. Looks like he "gets" this offense now and I'm going to miss him when he's gone......after a great senior year.

after all of his improvements, my only real complaint is ball security. but that is rampant on offense and i do not understand it.

Martinez will be loaded with offensive weapons for his Senior year. Should be fun. Wins over stats next season would make a better legacy, but hey, why not both?

He's exciting. And maddening.

One of the ESPN announcers said it best during one of our improbable comebacks: "Taylor Martinez has the unique ability to keep both teams in the game"

That's his legacy at the moment. There's a dig in there, but it's part of the package.

I think that's why I like him, I may get flamed for this but... He has always reminded me a bit of Brett Favre. Not as a passer or anything like that, but just the style he plays the game with. He can make you furious one play and ecstatic the next, like they said keeping both team in it. And he even has his little Farve moments when he scrambles and throws those underhand or ill advised dump passes that should be picked off 99% but usually aren't. Just that care free gunslinger attitude is always fun to watch. And they're both like little kids out there having fun, Taylor doesn't get as crazy as Brett but for an introvert he has a good time.

• Fire 1

If we lose the CCG this year and don't win a conference title next year, he will probably be viewed as a QB who held Bo's teams back from achieving more, whether or not it's true.

I hope fans will consider that the Husker D has tended to hold Bo's teams back (or put them in a hole) the past two seasons.

I hope so too, but a comment that my dad made a few times while I was visiting during Thanksgiving was, "I've never seen a guy who can be the MVP for both teams in the same game." I have a feeling he isn't the only one who has this opinion, right or wrong.

Well your Dad's not entirely wrong. As mentioned, Taylor has a knack for keeping both teams in the game.

The comparison to Brett Favre is pretty good. Not the physical traits, but the way they play the game, which includes taking the gunslinger risks that produce both miracles and disasters.

I've been critical of Bo's handling of T-Mart as well as T-Mart's play.. Why it took 3 years in the program before his footwork issues were addressed is one primary issue.

I've said a few times, the T-Mart legacy is tied to the fact that Bo decided to ride this horse for 4 seasons (potentially).

NU expectations are championships. Until Bo and team win a championship the legacy is rather thin, despite what the record books may tell you.

Hear hear for T-Mart's improvement this season, it puts hope (and pressure) on next season.

the "martinez legacy"? i have not even seen the "martinez supremecy" yet.

2efa7844_South-Park-nice.jpg

After Curt Dukes, Sam Keller, Joe Dailey, and Harrison Beck, you'd think we might be more inclined to appreciate Martinez than we do. For a kid who was playing in the secondary until his junior year of high school, I'd say it's pretty remarkable what he's achieved here. It's a testament to the guys coaching him as well. Say what you want about Taylor, but it's awfully hard to argue that he has improved markedly as a quarterback. And before you smirk and reply "that's not saying much," keep in mind that we played for a conference championship his first season as a starter. He wasn't devoid of talent as a freshman. He sure had some holes in his game though...most first year starters do. He's come a long way. And as knapp and other's have already pointed out, he's still got over a season before his total body of work can be accurately perceived. From where I stand, he's a guy that makes every opposing DC nervous. That's something I like our starting QB to bring to the table. The coaches thought enough of his game to vote him 1st team all conference after all. And they've watched a LOT of film on the kid.

People that think Taylor's turnovers are a humongous problem should check his turnover numbers, specifically turnovers per game, compared to Eric Crouch's. Might be worth a look :)

i do not think it is a huge problem. just his biggest and that is because he has improved so much in almost every possible way. the only other criticism i would have, and it is rather petty, is that i wish he was more elusive in the pocket. but that is me just finding things to criticize him about. i have always had faith in t-mart and am really glad to see him tap his potential.