Coaching Changes?

The Dude, that's pretty much my thoughts as well. I would love to find a new LB coach, and then get rid of Cotton and Garrison and find a better OL coach who can recruit like crazy and then develop them. That would also clear a spot on the coaching staff for another position. We could get Joe Ganz the job as QB coach, or hire a special teams coach who works exclusively with special teams.

Something needs to happen. Not anything too radical, but those two changes should be made, and in Cotton's case, it has been a long time coming.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. I'm not hating on Els as much as you guys - I think he just needs the ST role taken from him to free up some time with the LBers - obviously one of the most important positions in the B1G. And I'm not against the 2 OL coaches - but when we were doing it with Osborne he was the OC, so it opened up that spot.

In a perfect world I'd see Garrison/Cotton replaced with a solid 300k/year OL coach. Give the TE duties to Fisher - they need to be more a part of the pass game anyway. Last couple years they've been removed from the game plan it seems. Then we hire a ST coordinator/recruiting coordinator. And this is where I'd like to see us shell out the bucks. 500k+. This persons job is 75% recruiting, 25% ST...and that means they still likely put more time into ST coaching then Els can now. That frees Els up to only work with the LBers, so I think we'd see improved play there.

Better OL, better special teams, better LBers, better recruiting.

And since the first thing someone will likely say is "who you going to get that is better to fill those positions" - as if we, the casual fans are supposed to know the landscape of CFB coaching....I'd go with something like....

OL: Bart Miller - Wisconsin. He's the guy that took over the OL 2 weeks into the season and steamrolled 3 opponents for 400+ (us included), saving their season. I'd also check with Bostad who left Wisconsin a couple years ago for PItt, left there for Tampa Bay - and might be interested in getting back into the B1G now that Brett is gone. I also might go look at Mike Sewak at Georgia Tech.

ST: Charlie Bagget (TN) - he's looking, and has helped Tennesse recruit some top talent, SEC roots. Tim Horton - he's looking, runs Arkansas recruiting, SEC roots - pulls in a bunch of their recruits (9 last year, 10 year before). Tosh Lupoi, Cal/Washington - he's always looking (as his move last season proved) and is definately one of the top recruiters in the nation, help solidify the california area. Tommy Thigpen - Auburn. he's looking, SEC roots.

The biggest issue with LBs is speed and athleticism. We have a patchwork of LBs right now, and while guys may be very smart and know the system, if they can't get to the spot to make the play, that knowledge is worthless.

Santos road the pine against Wisconsin while Waley chased rushers around the field. I'm not sure we lack speed/athleticism (it could be better) - but sometime's its just watching from the sidelines.

And since the first thing someone will likely say is "who you going to get that is better to fill those positions" - as if we, the casual fans are supposed to know the landscape of CFB coaching....I'd go with something like....

OL: Bart Miller - Wisconsin. He's the guy that took over the OL 2 weeks into the season and steamrolled 3 opponents for 400+ (us included), saving their season. I'd also check with Bostad who left Wisconsin a couple years ago for PItt, left there for Tampa Bay - and might be interested in getting back into the B1G now that Brett is gone. I also might go look at Mike Sewak at Georgia Tech.

ST: Charlie Bagget (TN) - he's looking, and has helped Tennesse recruit some top talent, SEC roots. Tim Horton - he's looking, runs Arkansas recruiting, SEC roots - pulls in a bunch of their recruits (9 last year, 10 year before). Tosh Lupoi, Cal/Washington - he's always looking (as his move last season proved) and is definately one of the top recruiters in the nation, help solidify the california area. Tommy Thigpen - Auburn. he's looking, SEC roots.

You think maybe this guy may be a reason Bo was contacting Tennessee? I'm not putting down the notion that Bo contacted Tennessee, I just dont think it had anything to do with their HC position. Glad you brought this guy up. It's a good find. Who knows.

*Generic list of reasons why none of those guys would ever come to Nebraska.*

* A large amount of money at gives them a primary reason to come to Nebraska *

Tosh went to Washington - without any prior relationship to Leach (that I know of anyway) - for 500k/year. He was making 165k per year at Cal before the move. There are a multitude of top-notch recruiters in the same position that would jump at the chance to concentrate on building a team as the Recruiting Coordinator and ST coach (or another position where we could reasign someone to STs)

If we were to remove some coaches and then hire some outside coaches, I can say with 100% certainty that Ganz and Marrow would be searching else where for employment!

Go Big Red!

darn - do you not think they won't be this offseason and next anyway? they are in no way guarenteed (and likely won't have) a job at NU. give me a solid recruiter w/ 10 years experience over Ganz/Marrow any day.

* A large amount of money at gives them a primary reason to come to Nebraska *

Tosh went to Washington - without any prior relationship to Leach (that I know of anyway) - for 500k/year. He was making 165k per year at Cal before the move. There are a multitude of top-notch recruiters in the same position that would jump at the chance to concentrate on building a team as the Recruiting Coordinator and ST coach (or another position where we could reasign someone to STs)

Because of Sarkisian, not Leach who coaches at Washington St...But I do like the thoughts of offering him if the chance comes.