The block by Kenny Bell.

NCAA needs to show just exactly what is wrong with Bell's block, and more importantly, the "proper" way Bell should have thrown that block. Otherwise, we will be entering the era of NBA flops and European soccer drama queens falling down in front of the refs.

As for "Helmet to helmet" contact? Look at any lineman's helmet after every game. Numerous scratches and paint swaps are shown. Is every one of those marks deserving of a penalty? If not, which ones? Or is it going to be, "I can't define the helmet to helmet penalty, but you'll know it when I call it."

Oh, and Martinez getting a pile driver and no one on the team taking umbrage to it? That's the answer as to why we got pounded. They knew they were the third toughest squad to take the field that night, far behind Wisconsin and just behind Wisconsin's band.

NCAA needs to show just exactly what is wrong with Bell's block, and more importantly, the "proper" way Bell should have thrown that block. Otherwise, we will be entering the era of NBA flops and European soccer drama queens falling down in front of the refs.

As for "Helmet to helmet" contact? Look at any lineman's helmet after every game. Numerous scratches and paint swaps are shown. Is every one of those marks deserving of a penalty? If not, which ones? Or is it going to be, "I can't define the helmet to helmet penalty, but you'll know it when I call it."

Oh, and Martinez getting a pile driver and no one on the team taking umbrage to it? That's the answer as to why we got pounded. They knew they were the third toughest squad to take the field that night, far behind Wisconsin and just behind Wisconsin's band.

It's begun

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/michigan-state-fantastic-flop-looking-penalty-video-213852185--ncaaf.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpd0rbOzCA&feature=player_embedded

I'd have thought that second .gif would have had everybody reassessing their initial stance since it shows a defenseless player getting hit helmet to helmet by another player who launched himself into the hit.

Initiating Contact/Targeting an Oppenent

1. No player shall initiate contact and target an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

2. No player shall initiate contact and target a defenseless opponent above the shoulders. When in question, it is a foul.

You can complain that it shouldn't be in the rule book but complaints about the officials' enforcement of the rule are like complaining that a cop enforces a law you don't agree with. Take it up with the people in charge of making the rules, not the ones enforcing them.

It is not helmet to helmet

It is not above the shoulders.

What else needs to said? Go celebrate your 8th win of the season

Its not defenseless either.

I guess we're playing FLAG football now ... with a silent L

He wasn't defenseless as the above poster said. IMHO, that is the reason for the call I'm guessing. Yet, if KB doesn't block that guy and Jamal tries his 40th juke move into #10 on that play, he probably gets tackled and KB gets an earful for not finishing the play properly.

• Fire 2

Block looked legal to me, but I'm not a football official.

In ice hockey it would have been a penalty.

I wish it had not happened because the next five or ten playing minutes of the game became chippy. I give credit to the coaches and the refs for settling the teams down before things got out of control.

It was a great block and a BS call.

Probably cost you the game.

Well then, Monsignor, if we are only going to look at it from a "whether it cost us the game" perspective, then Kenny Bell should have finished his unfortunate victim off with a stomp. After all, it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game...right?...

Now if you have anything to add about the specific play and the resulting call, take time out from your trolling and contribute. Otherwise, go back under your bridge and wait for either the Biggest Bill Goat Gruff or Kenny Bell to show up knock you into the river.

One of the best blocks I've seen all year. Hands down. Can't say enough about how great a block that was. Isn't the goal of football to knock the other player on their butt till they don't get up anymore? What has happened with college football? When I made those kind of hits in high school my coach would rewind the game film and use those type of hits as an example of how to play football. And the PF on Stafford was even worse. He made a typical tackle... It wasn't even a vicious hit.

Edited by Always a husker