The block by Kenny Bell.

So our guys are supposed to react by stooping to the same level, hell, an even lower level, than the person that committed the first wrong?

No.

Well, when Wisconsin gave Martinez a pile driver and the rest of the team did nothing, that told the refs it wasn't a big enough deal to throw a flag. That led emboldened another Wisconsin player to take a second cheap shot at Taylor's knees. I would rather we get a flag before Taylor gets major reconstructive knee surgery than they get one after they put one of our players down. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

So our guys are supposed to react by stooping to the same level, hell, an even lower level, than the person that committed the first wrong?

No.

Well, when Wisconsin gave Martinez a pile driver and the rest of the team did nothing, that told the refs it wasn't a big enough deal to throw a flag. That led emboldened another Wisconsin player to take a second cheap shot at Taylor's knees. I would rather we get a flag before Taylor gets major reconstructive knee surgery than they get one after they put one of our players down. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

The shot at Taylor's knees was beforehand, but that's not to the point. I don't know if you ever officiate sporting events, but I know when I do, I don't determine whether or not something is legal, illegal, a penalty or anything else based on the reactions of the other team's players. I can't possibly imagine that is the way that college football referee's minds work. What's worthy of being flagged is worthy of being flagged period - our guys not reacting to it was not the reason it wasn't flagged. What a bizzare assumption.

I have a real problem with any player on a football field being considered defenseless. I do not agree with the call. That said, I think the refs could make a case that Kenny targeted and launched based on how the kid flew and landed, and the way Kenny acted immediately after the play. However, the real problem is that the recipient of the hit (don't know his name, sorry), wasn't aware of his surroundings on the field. If his head had been on a swivel, he would have reacted to Kenny's presence and there would be no discussion as to whether it was a clean block. We still would have scored on the play. He wasn't paying attention and he got clocked. The only way the kid doesn't get whacked is if Kenny slows up. Sorry, but if I'm not paying attention and run a stop sign, it's my fault if I get hit. Not a great analogy, but if you're not aware of your surroundings on the field, you're gonna get whacked because you're going full speed, not reacting to an approaching blocker. In other words, it's not Kenny's fault the other guy didn't know he was there, and it would not have been a full speed collision if he had.

The worst thing about the Borland spike was the lack of action by our O-line. Had somebody done that to Tommie Frazier, they would have left the field on a stretcher.

This^ I can not believe that not one Husker OL got in his face or threw a punch. Same with the dive at his knees. We are one physically soft team with no nasty. Bell plays nasty, Quince plays nasty. That is what we need.

No.

There are two ways to respond to a player who plays like Borlund. One would be to grab him by the facemask and toss him around like a ragdoll. That would get a player ejected and probably disable Borlund. The other would be to at least get in his face and tell him what will happen if he wants to play that way. As long as no hands are laid on him by our players I doubt there would be a flag. It might cause one of his players to react and get a penalty on them. It would also send a message that no one from Wisconsin is going to get away with a cheap shot which could cause a permanent neck injury.

My high school football coach said that "basketball is a contact sport and football is a hitting sport". Bell 'hit' the guy legally and in the right way. The officials are softening down the game out of fear of injury.

One thing I do like, it seems that NU receivers have returned to being very good down field blockers. It is good seeing that again. Now if we could get our DBs to tackle the way our receivers block, we might not have lost by 40 points.

We need plays like this cause this team is soft as hell! As someone mentioned earlier that stuff that went on between Borland and Martinez.......................someone should've blindsided that guy. Throughout the entire game he and I think it was 94 or 97? They'd come through the line, the whistle would blow, they'd push another second or so then push our guys away. All they were trying to do was intimidate someone and be a-holes! Nebraska used to be intimidating, they aren't anymore and it's sad as hell! We need that swagger, we need that tenacity, we need that feeling on the team..........................."How dare you think you can line up across from me and play football on the same level that I'm at!" "I will punish you for thinking you are going to play against me for the next 60 minutes!" "I'm better than you, I know it, and I WILL be whooping your a$$ for the next 60 minutes!" "Good luck trying to stop this crazy m-fer!"