Day after thoughts

Don't Feed The Troll

Okay, I've had a day to think about this one, which hasn't been easy because it makes my brain hurt.

I agree that we need to keep Bo for a while longer and get rid of those coaches-in-training.

Recruiting needs to be the Number 1 Priority right now. We're just not getting the talent.

I was angry at Bo, but now I get it--Wisconsin sandbagged for the last two games and then rolled out all of their tricks for this one. Colorado did the same thing. It didn't help them, but it got them 1 win when they needed it. Wisconsin will get creamed in Pasadena. Again. It'll be brutal and humiliating for them.

I wish there was something we, as fans, could do but I understand the NCAA has all kinds of rules prohibiting that sort of thing. So, I'll sit on my hands and watch this train drunkenly bumble off and on the rails.

Don't Feed The Troll

Okay, I've had a day to think about this one, which hasn't been easy because it makes my brain hurt.

I agree that we need to keep Bo for a while longer and get rid of those coaches-in-training.

Recruiting needs to be the Number 1 Priority right now. We're just not getting the talent.

I was angry at Bo, but now I get it--Wisconsin sandbagged for the last two games and then rolled out all of their tricks for this one. Colorado did the same thing. It didn't help them, but it got them 1 win when they needed it. Wisconsin will get creamed in Pasadena. Again. It'll be brutal and humiliating for them.

I wish there was something we, as fans, could do but I understand the NCAA has all kinds of rules prohibiting that sort of thing. So, I'll sit on my hands and watch this train drunkenly bumble off and on the rails.

Agree. It's amazing how coaches can look like geniuses when they have great talent.

This...

This is what hell feels like.

Really? Have you ever heard of "first world problems". 'Cause this is one of 'em.

Though someone could argue that the socioeconomic impact of a mediocre or downtrodden Nebraska program could be significant at the state and local levels...

This...

This is what hell feels like.

Really? Have you ever heard of "first world problems". 'Cause this is one of 'em.

This is one of them. Though someone could argue that the socioeconomic impact of a mediocre or downtrodden Nebraska program could be significant at the state and local levels...

Lol, I know. Just a sucky moment right now.

I have a ton of Nebraska baseball hats that I have worn almost every day, to work, for recreation, and for casual dress for the past 42 years. Today, when I went outside, I could not bring myself to wear one. Instead, I picked my other favorite hat, my Corvette Baseball hat. Went for a ride in the Vette and ended up at BW's with friends to drink a few cold ones and rehash the humility of the azz kicking in the game. The main topic of discussion was the ineptness of the coaching staff. One of the folks I was with was a former player for NU back in the early 90's. I cannot print the adjectives used in his descriptive verbal assault of the coaches, particularly the defensive coaches. He had no kind words for Pelini either.

I have a ton of Nebraska baseball hats that I have worn almost every day, to work, for recreation, and for casual dress for the past 42 years. Today, when I went outside, I could not bring myself to wear one. Instead, I picked my other favorite hat, my Corvette Baseball hat. Went for a ride in the Vette and ended up at BW's with friends to drink a few cold ones and rehash the humility of the azz kicking in the game. The main topic of discussion was the ineptness of the coaching staff. One of the folks I was with was a former player for NU back in the early 90's. I cannot print the adjectives used in his descriptive verbal assault of the coaches, particularly the defensive coaches. He had no kind words for Pelini either.

The coaching performance has been horrible this season. Yes there were comebacks, but I put those more on the players than the coaches. Guys like Martinez, Burkhead, Abdullah, Bell, Stafford...they've been willing this team to victories.

Two thoughts that I haven't seen addressed (although admittedly I haven't looked at every post):

1. I'm not picking on Beck, because I think this game was way more on the defense. But how do you take our offense (good running QB, dangerous downfield receiving threats, and a great HB finally at 95-100%) and decide the first play you're going to come out with should be a play-action, five-yard curl route to the sidelines? I'm not an expert, but that would be one of the last plays I can imagine to take advantage of our talents. Maybe they thought the corners would play 10 yards off, scared about the deep ball. But when Cromartie lined up two yards in front of Bell, the play should have been changed immediately.

If we come out running and end up with a score on that drive, even just a FG, that first half would have been a lot closer. Think about 7-3 with another 4-5 minutes of clock gone, as opposed to 14-0 playing in yet another massive hole. Not saying we win the game, of course, but I think it may have changed the dynamics, and maybe we lose 42-24 instead of 70-31.

2. Bo's stubbornness about his match-up zone scheme hurts us several times a season. In particular I'm talking about his frequent refusal to match-up certain corners to certain receivers. He will do it on occasion but not usually. Last year I remember a backbreaking TD catch to NW's Ebert. We didn't put Dennard on him despite the fact that Dennard was clearly our best cover corner and Ebert clearly their best WR. This game, down 28-10 and our last chance to really make a stand, they have a 3rd and 4 and we have Blatchford on Abbrederis. Easy completion for the first down. Again, not saying we win the game if they don't get the first down. But the touchdown that followed a few plays later really killed any hope. Why not stick Evans on him and make the average QB actually go through his progressions? Maybe something great happens. Or maybe he just doesn't complete it and they have to punt. Either way.