Shatel rips Pelini

tschu

Don't put this on Tim Beck. Don't put it on Taylor Martinez. They weren't the problem. They weren't the solution, either. But when the defense is playing touch, and the other guy can't help but score just before half to make it 42-10, game plans aren't worth the card they're printed on.

No, this one goes directly on the head coach's tab.

Nebraska looked ill-prepared, lackluster and like it had no business being on a championship field. This, in the fifth year of Pelini's tenure, with his guys, his seniors, his way of football.

link: http://www.omaha.com/article/20121201/HUSKERS/712019788

Not the type of stuff you usually see from Shatel, but you really can't argue with him here. Tom's a brilliant columnist and knows when to pull out the guns and when not to (something that Dirk needs to learn). Good article.

I wonder what happens when we go out and win our bowl game. Seriously, I can't read anything the media puts out there after wins or losses, because they are the epitome of hypocritical.

You actually think that NU is going to win it's bowl game against aTm or an SEC team with this defense? That is hysterically funny. I hope for your sake you are joking and are not serious because that line of thinking is borderline delusional.

It's talent if you ask me. We have quite a bit of it in certain spots, quite a lack of it in others. A lot of solid players, but top-bottom, starters, depth, we don't have the kind of elite talent that puts us in the conversation with the elite teams of the country. Which we need, if we want to perform like that.

This all goes back to recruiting misses and lackluster effort in Bo's first few years. These past few seasons we've graduated our core of talented 2007 guys, then lost Dennard and Lavonte and Crick. 2010 was a year where we had the talent set up for a big run at things. We've been in transition since, and it doesn't help that not enough has been waiting in the wings to make it happen. Still waiting on that D-line. Good, solid, hard-working guys like Compton, but name one national-level star on that defense. Name two. You start to see why we're in trouble.

Gosh, I really thought we might win only 8 games this year. We're looking at 11. Yes, we've been exposed, but I do think we probably squeezed a near-best-case "win" # for the year out of this team.

• Fire 1