Shatel rips Pelini

tschu

I would agree that both are good coaches (Brian Kelly and Urban Meyer). But there is one other thing that we have to look at, recruiting rankings. I know starts don't directly equate to success, but if you look at those rankings for the last five years or so, both Ohio State and Notre Dame have been recruiting at a high level. Our recruiting has lost steam in the last couple cycles and was never at a point that was comparable to tOSU or Notre Dame. We were told that the 2012 class was small because of roster managment reasons relating to all the seniors we red shirted that first year under Bo. Look at the ratings now, we are no where near the top of the conference let alone country. I don't see how we can expect to compete with the top tier teams if we continue to have bad recruting or top 30 classes. The question is can Bo lure the big names to Nebraska? The walk on program is fine and admirable and you can coach solid athletes to a good deal of success without a lot of flash. But to win championships, at least in my mind, you need at least a core of top tier guys.

It's talent if you ask me. We have quite a bit of it in certain spots, quite a lack of it in others. A lot of solid players, but top-bottom, starters, depth, we don't have the kind of elite talent that puts us in the conversation with the elite teams of the country. Which we need, if we want to perform like that.

This all goes back to recruiting misses and lackluster effort in Bo's first few years. These past few seasons we've graduated our core of talented 2007 guys, then lost Dennard and Lavonte and Crick. 2010 was a year where we had the talent set up for a big run at things. We've been in transition since, and it doesn't help that not enough has been waiting in the wings to make it happen. Still waiting on that D-line. Good, solid, hard-working guys like Compton, but name one national-level star on that defense. Name two. You start to see why we're in trouble.

Gosh, I really thought we might win only 8 games this year. We're looking at 11. Yes, we've been exposed, but I do think we probably squeezed a near-best-case "win" # for the year out of this team.

Its not talent alone. Less talented teams do better than we do.

And this crew can't get the elite talent, and can't out coach the other guy to make up the difference.

It's talent if you ask me. We have quite a bit of it in certain spots, quite a lack of it in others. A lot of solid players, but top-bottom, starters, depth, we don't have the kind of elite talent that puts us in the conversation with the elite teams of the country. Which we need, if we want to perform like that.

This all goes back to recruiting misses and lackluster effort in Bo's first few years. These past few seasons we've graduated our core of talented 2007 guys, then lost Dennard and Lavonte and Crick. 2010 was a year where we had the talent set up for a big run at things. We've been in transition since, and it doesn't help that not enough has been waiting in the wings to make it happen. Still waiting on that D-line. Good, solid, hard-working guys like Compton, but name one national-level star on that defense. Name two. You start to see why we're in trouble.

Gosh, I really thought we might win only 8 games this year. We're looking at 11. Yes, we've been exposed, but I do think we probably squeezed a near-best-case "win" # for the year out of this team.

Its not talent alone. Less talented teams do better than we do.

And this crew can't get the elite talent, and can't out coach the other guy to make up the difference.

This^. I would like to see a guy this staff recruited that we actually developed into a better than advertised player.

You guys keep complaining about Pelini.. I saw a bunch of plays with guys in position to make a tackle that didn't.. (And I watched the whole brutal thing) With the exception of a few glaring busts it came down to poor angles and missed tackles.. Bo's a Darn good coach who might have to reconfigure some staffing issues players and coaches.. Becareful what you wish for do you think any coach worth his salt would take this job when the fan base is complaining about a 10 win season..

Not prepared, no discipline, players still not sure where to be on D, lack of developing players like a backup QB, horrible decision making at times etc are reasons it falls On Bo. He was clearly out coached in every one of our loses and several games we probably should have.

You guys keep complaining about Pelini.. I saw a bunch of plays with guys in position to make a tackle that didn't.. (And I watched the whole brutal thing) With the exception of a few glaring busts it came down to poor angles and missed tackles.. Bo's a Darn good coach who might have to reconfigure some staffing issues players and coaches.. Becareful what you wish for do you think any coach worth his salt would take this job when the fan base is complaining about a 10 win season..

I'm with warrior here...thought we were in position most of the time.

So who recruited these players?

you dont need elite talent to beat Wisconsin

What did Dirk say to Pelini at the presser that's got everyone's panties in a wad?

I was listening to the presser and he just asked him the basics. What happened and what kind of practice he did for the game. Pelini was already pissed off and said something about already talking to the players, then Dirk asked if he could tell everyone what he said to them. Bo then replied that private with the team. At one point Pelini raised his voice at Dirk but I don't remember the actual question.

I'm with warrior here...thought we were in position most of the time.

So he can scheme just not coach fundementals?

^This, exactly this. When did "dive at their legs" become a fundemental tackling technique? Our defenders do not move their feet. Or how about not breaking down and just throwing a shoulder in and hope for the best like Stafford does? Is so much time spent on "scheme" and getting guys in the right place, that there is no time to work on fundementals?

This has been going on for years, and that is on Pelini.

I think PJ Smith actually provided the reason for this mess. He said something to the fact that 'if one guy misses his assignment, the play is going for six'.

If Pelini doesn't have the talent to run, basically a man-to-man, at every spot, then he should be adjusting his scheme to make sure players aren't on an island like that. This is no different than Michigan not being properly prepared when Robinson went down, or not having the guts to put in Gardner if he was their better option. Coaches, and Pelini is apparently no different, get stuck on their scheme even if they don't have the personnel to fully execute it.