Shatel rips Pelini

tschu

When you consider what happened last night in Pelini's fifth year, it's especially frustrating when you consider what Brian Kelly has accomplished in only his third year at Notre Dame.

Exactly. That's the kind of thing you look at and go "Why not us with Bo?". Hell, look at Urban in one year at Ohio State.

Two schools that almost recruit themselves. The problem with Husker football right now is NOT the coaching. It's the lack of recruiting prowess.

I agree that our recruiting prowess is nowhere where it should be, however........ To tangent slightly, I keep hearing young fans talk about how nobody wants to come to Lincoln anymore because of the beaches and other attractions elsewhere. Here's a news flash for them: Nebraska has always had that recruiting limitation! Talented kids in the 70's still preferred a California beach like they do today.

To have a nationally-relevant/contending program at Nebraska, a coaching staff must build the best type of football team that the perennial recruiting deficiencies allow them. Let's just take an Osborne offensive line as an example. The prototypical "Pipeline" offensive lineman was probably an average of at least 4 inches shorter than those typically favored. Not only was this type of body more plentiful (due to lack of national demand), it also was the type of body that was perfectly suited for run blocking. These weren't your "pocket protection" lineman, as they were unnecessary for the type of offense that we ran. We could easily have those o-lineman again. It just requires a dedication to return to the type of play that doesn't appeal to the NCAA 13 crowd.

As for Shatel ripping Pelini.....it is all about access. You probably won't find too many negative columns, unless they're after a loss like this. To be too negative will lose any access to the coach for future interviews. It is pretty sad, but that's how the world works.

What did Dirk say to Pelini at the presser that's got everyone's panties in a wad?

'

You mean what got Pelini's panties in a wad? Dirk asked some relevant, blunt questions and Pelini didn't care for them. It was something to the effect of "Do you think this loss is indicative of the state of the program or do you think it was just a blip?"

Pelini went typical Pelini and lashed out on him. The infamous "What do you think??!" was whipped out.

Maud was right, that was the question. Pelini blew up at this question and I believe it was more than relevant to ask. The truth hurt Bo there and he got even more irate.

(steels self for what he's about say)

That's a fair question for Dirk to ask.

I'm off to gargle bleach because I agree with Dirk.

Shatel is THEE worst sports writer with the World Herald.

HEY SHATEL,

THERE IS A REASON THE OMAHA WORLD HERALD IS BANKRUPT. BECAUSE NOBODY WANTS TO BUY SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR THE sh#t YOU WRITE BECAUSE I'VE SEEN SWEAT SOCKS WRITE BETTER ARTICLES.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE ARTICLE?

Not necessarily the article, rather his entire body of work.

You can attack Shatel all you want, nothing he said in this article is false.

Shatel is THEE worst sports writer with the World Herald.

HEY SHATEL,

THERE IS A REASON THE OMAHA WORLD HERALD IS BANKRUPT. BECAUSE NOBODY WANTS TO BUY SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR THE sh#t YOU WRITE BECAUSE I'VE SEEN SWEAT SOCKS WRITE BETTER ARTICLES.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE ARTICLE?

Not necessarily the article, rather his entire body of work.

For example? I can't say that I have ever read a bad Shatel article.

I'll send them to you here in a few days. I'll have to look them up again where his intention was to smear NU completely and Tom Osborne even had to get involved and say the Omaha World Herald will not ever treat the University of Nebraska like this again. That last part you won't find a link or article about.

• Fire 1

EZ you're getting all riled up haha...

To side with you a little bit, I remember a few years ago, for some reason I don't remember at all, I did not like Shatel. Every time he'd come out with an article I'd come out with a "Shatel is an idiot" comment. I really don't know why. It doesn't seem to have been earned by him, but at the same time I'd like to think I had a good reason for thinking that...:shrug:

Its just funny. Last night the huskers played uninspired football. Wisconsin had weeks to prepare for the championship game. So was Bo out coached yep, totally. Is all lost, no. I was ever bit as upset last night as the next guy. Should last night have been a wake up call for the huskers? About as much as a bucket of ice water would be. Some big changes need to be made but all honestly listening to the "fans" if Bo gets fired or Fires his entire staff I would be afraid where we would be coming up. We got dominated, its happened before. This team doesnt have any identity and last night i loved see Rex back but any thing we had through the 6 game streak was gone. The fans that want Pelini fired after any loss wouldnt be happy if this team was undefeated. And the people that dont think some changes do need to be made need a wake up call also

• Fire 1

Its just funny. Last night the huskers played uninspired football. Wisconsin had weeks to prepare for the championship game. So was Bo out coached yep, totally. Is all lost, no. I was ever bit as upset last night as the next guy. Should last night have been a wake up call for the huskers? About as much as a bucket of ice water would be. Some big changes need to be made but all honestly listening to the "fans" if Bo gets fired or Fires his entire staff I would be afraid where we would be coming up. We got dominated, its happened before. This team doesnt have any identity and last night i loved see Rex back but any thing we had through the 6 game streak was gone. The fans that want Pelini fired after any loss wouldnt be happy if this team was undefeated. And the people that dont think some changes do need to be made need a wake up call also

We normally don't just lose under Bo, we get outclassed for at least 90% of the losses. Of our 3 losses this year, we got completely killed 2 of those games. Last year, same thing in our losses, same with previous years. THAT is a problem that sunshine pumpers fail to realize. We don't compete in our losses, we go out and look like a high school team and that rests on Bo and his clueless coordinators.

You guys keep complaining about Pelini.. I saw a bunch of plays with guys in position to make a tackle that didn't.. (And I watched the whole brutal thing) With the exception of a few glaring busts it came down to poor angles and missed tackles.. Bo's a Darn good coach who might have to reconfigure some staffing issues players and coaches.. Becareful what you wish for do you think any coach worth his salt would take this job when the fan base is complaining about a 10 win season..

When you're getting blown out by teams you shouldn't. You're darn right you're allowed to expect more. You're putting too much stock in the number of win vs losses and not enough into the kinds of wins and losses. Over all five of his years can you tell me there was one where we weren't fumbling a lot? Losing one we shouldn't? A blowout loss or two a year? Closer wins to lesser teams with them always being in it? Yes the ten wins are great and normally having nine is always wanted and normally you wouldnt find our fan base upset over that but the way you win and lose cannot be overlooked and yes we expect more and no i dont think coaches would be turned away from coming here for firing a coach with the wins bo has because theyre smart enough to see beyond the veil of "wins" we've attained and know you can improve the team still without necessarily improving the record. If we had the same record we do at this moment but with these scores i bet you noone would be upset with bo. :USM 42-10 wUCLA 30-36 lArk state 52- 14 wIdaho st 73-10 wWisconsin 35-14 wOhio st- 42-35 LNW 42-28 wMSU 28-7 wUM 35-14 wPSU 38-21 wMinn 42-7 wIowa 35-3 wUW 28-35 LAnd not even just the scores but not shooting ourselves in the foot. Not beigng outcoached. Theres a point where you just can't keep saying the penalties and the fumbles and missed assignments are on ths players because it's been five years. Wisen up and realize that somethings gotta change and either o will have to get unstubborn and change somethings real quick in how he teaches even his fundamentals or he won't be here very long...

It's talent if you ask me. We have quite a bit of it in certain spots, quite a lack of it in others. A lot of solid players, but top-bottom, starters, depth, we don't have the kind of elite talent that puts us in the conversation with the elite teams of the country. Which we need, if we want to perform like that.

This all goes back to recruiting misses and lackluster effort in Bo's first few years. These past few seasons we've graduated our core of talented 2007 guys, then lost Dennard and Lavonte and Crick. 2010 was a year where we had the talent set up for a big run at things. We've been in transition since, and it doesn't help that not enough has been waiting in the wings to make it happen. Still waiting on that D-line. Good, solid, hard-working guys like Compton, but name one national-level star on that defense. Name two. You start to see why we're in trouble.

Gosh, I really thought we might win only 8 games this year. We're looking at 11. Yes, we've been exposed, but I do think we probably squeezed a near-best-case "win" # for the year out of this team.

I'm sorry friend, but the no talent line is a complete cop-out. Even freaking Purdue, who we can all agree is much less talented, fared better than we did yesterday. If it's all "talent", then howcome this same "talent" beat this same Wisc team in Lincoln earlier this year? Cause it's not talent, it's the craptacular coaching.

#12 in the BCS, facing a team with a 3rd string QB, rolling with six wins in a row, some against tough teams...

Even with these factors, everyone on here knew it would be a tough game and that we would have to play at our best level to bring about the expected (hoped for) 24-17 win, or something on that order. What a terrible way to be exposed. As has been mentioned, WI was on the bad end of some terrible breaks and, against PSU and OSU, may have laid off somewhat because of their certainty of getting into this game.

They'll probably make another balls-up of the Rose Bowl, because blowing the big games is what they do, too, albeit by margins that are heartbreaking instead of clinically depressing.

The ten wins just make this harder to fix or even comprehend. Nebraska, facing history and expectations, will be remembered for this game, and, I fear, the one to come next if we get a top ten team. Hats off to the realists for seeing this coming. If we can manage to win the bowl game, or even make it a good show, it will temper the bitter embarrassment of the CCG. We'll have all the answers to 2012, if not to the future, at that point.

I've been thinking about how best to put this loss in perspective (mostly for my own benefit). The only thing I can say is while everyone else shakes their heads and mumbles about how 'surprised' they are that this happened, I am not surprised in the least. The margin of defeat is itself a little shocking, but that we lost or that we lost in a blowout is, well, pretty typical of the Pelini era thus far.

It's amazing what people choose to overlook in favor of optimism.

You do all know we play in a crappy conference, right?

You do all know we either lead or are making a strong case for leading the nation in fumbles, right?

You do know there isn't a thimbleful of experience between our offensive and defensive coordinators, right?

You do know our line play has been somewhere in the neighborhood of mediocre all season, right?

You do know that we had to chase last minute wins against scrub competition in one of the worst conferences in the nation, right?

You do know that among those wins, luck and favorable calls were deciding factors in a couple, right?

You do know that Ohio State, the only team in the conference with national credibility, smeared us just about as bad, right?

Sorry the list is long, but unfortunately I have to stick with my assessment after the OSU game. Our problems are systemic. It's coaching. A 10-win season is an admirable accomplishment, but you'll excuse me if I pass on the confetti poppers. We're nowhere near the elite teams, and nothing--nothing--about this coaching staff gives me a single reason to believe that's about to change anytime soon.

Try not to get slaughtered in the bowl game. Hit that recruiting trail--hard.

Ok, here I go "the morning after".....I truly love the Huskers, spent my entire life supporting, and will continue for the rest of my life supporting and traveling to most every game..... I would like to think that I am not the type of fan who wears the "rose colored glasses".... I am a realist....... I said going into the season that I thought we would finish about 9-3 before the bowl game and 9-4 after (wasn't counting Big 10 championship in the mix)...... so I may be fairly close.

I am extremely disappointed with the embarassing losses that continues to kill the perception of our program and, in turn, doesn't help recruiting.

I like Bo, and will support him. He has won more games in the beginning of his career than most HOF coaches. You can't get rid of a guy who is putting up the numbers (wins-loss)...... at the same time, he needs to do some internal evaluation about the guys he brings onto the staff......FRIENDS or truly good coaches? Jury is out.

The reason I 'quoted' Husker x, is that I typically don't always agree with the negative perception of the program and choose not to respond because we all have our own opinions. But this time......... Husker x, I think that you did a nice job in your assessment, and I really can't find much of an argument ! Good job.

Thanks, Hanc,

I want to add that I do my level best to not get too emotionally involved in the program. I'm not calling for Pelini's head and I understand that my opinion on the staff is definitionally irrelevant. The only thing I try to do, as a fan, is be realistic. Our record this season is better than I thought it would be. The problem is championship caliber-success is a pipe dream right now--if you ditch the tinted lenses. We have a glut of inexperienced coaches fielding horrifically (and historically) undisciplined teams. Pelini's fond of saying there aren't any magic wands in football. I agree. You either have competent, capable people who field disciplined, hungry teams or you don't.

We don't. We won't. We can make it to the dance again next year (maybe), but when we're staring down Ohio State, don't make me laugh. Until our actual problems are corrected we should expect identical results every year.

It's talent if you ask me. We have quite a bit of it in certain spots, quite a lack of it in others. A lot of solid players, but top-bottom, starters, depth, we don't have the kind of elite talent that puts us in the conversation with the elite teams of the country. Which we need, if we want to perform like that.

This all goes back to recruiting misses and lackluster effort in Bo's first few years. These past few seasons we've graduated our core of talented 2007 guys, then lost Dennard and Lavonte and Crick. 2010 was a year where we had the talent set up for a big run at things. We've been in transition since, and it doesn't help that not enough has been waiting in the wings to make it happen. Still waiting on that D-line. Good, solid, hard-working guys like Compton, but name one national-level star on that defense. Name two. You start to see why we're in trouble.

Gosh, I really thought we might win only 8 games this year. We're looking at 11. Yes, we've been exposed, but I do think we probably squeezed a near-best-case "win" # for the year out of this team.

I'm sorry friend, but the no talent line is a complete cop-out. Even freaking Purdue, who we can all agree is much less talented, fared better than we did yesterday. If it's all "talent", then howcome this same "talent" beat this same Wisc team in Lincoln earlier this year? Cause it's not talent, it's the craptacular coaching.

When we beat Wisconsin early in the year it was because of bo's coaching. We lost championship game due to lack of players. :dunno

I wonder what happens when we go out and win our bowl game. Seriously, I can't read anything the media puts out there after wins or losses, because they are the epitome of hypocritical.

You actually think that NU is going to win it's bowl game against aTm or an SEC team with this defense? That is hysterically funny. I hope for your sake you are joking and are not serious because that line of thinking is borderline delusional.

Why shouldn't we think that NU is going to win its bowl game? Create some huge momentum for 2013, sorry for having faith in a team.