Mission Accomplished, Nebraska is Back, & Solich

TGHusker

Since KSU in 2009 (I presume that's the game we're talking about?) we've gone 10-9 in road games, and that counts neutral field games against Washington, South Carolina and Wisconsin.

The 8-9 thing was from an article. i read it this morning as well. one of sipple/mckewon discussing road-neutral games or something those lines. likely a statistic they twisted to form an argument of some sort.

It's wrong.

Kansas State Manhattan, KS - 48 - 13 - W

Oklahoma State Oklahoma City, OK - 51 - 41 - W

Iowa State Ames, IA - 31 - 30 - W

Texas A&M College Station, TX - 6 - 9 - L

Oklahoma Big XII Championship - 20 - 23 - L

Washington Holiday Bowl - 7 - 19 - L

Away record: 3-3

Wyoming Laramie, WY - 38 - 14 - W

Wisconsin Madison, WI - 17 - 48 - L

Minnesota Minneapolis, MN - 41 - 14 - W

Penn State Happy Valley, PA - 17 - 14 - W

Michigan Ann Arbor, MI - 17 - 45 - L

South Carolina Capitol One Bowl - 13 - 30 - L

UCLA Los Angeles, CA - 30 - 36 - L

Ohio State Columbus, OH - 38 - 63 - L

Northwestern Evanston, IL - 29 - 28 - W

Michigan State East Lansing, MI - 28 - 24 - W

Iowa Iowa City, IA - 13 - 7 - W

Big Ten Championship Indianapolis, IN - 31 - 70 - L

Since KSU in 2009 (I presume that's the game we're talking about?) we've gone 10-9 in road games, and that counts neutral field games against Washington, South Carolina and Wisconsin.

The 8-9 thing was from an article. i read it this morning as well. one of sipple/mckewon discussing road-neutral games or something those lines. likely a statistic they twisted to form an argument of some sort.

It's wrong.

Kansas State Manhattan, KS - 48 - 13 - W

Oklahoma State Oklahoma City, OK - 51 - 41 - W

Iowa State Ames, IA - 31 - 30 - W

Texas A&M College Station, TX - 6 - 9 - L

Oklahoma Big XII Championship - 20 - 23 - L

Washington Holiday Bowl - 7 - 19 - L

Wyoming Laramie, WY - 38 - 14 - W

Wisconsin Madison, WI - 17 - 48 - L

Minnesota Minneapolis, MN - 41 - 14 - W

Penn State Happy Valley, PA - 17 - 14 - W

Michigan Ann Arbor, MI - 17 - 45 - L

South Carolina Capitol One Bowl - 13 - 30 - L

UCLA Los Angeles, CA - 30 - 36 - L

Ohio State Columbus, OH - 38 - 63 - L

Northwestern Evanston, IL - 29 - 28 - W

Michigan State East Lansing, MI - 28 - 24 - W

Iowa Iowa City, IA - 13 - 7 - W

Big Ten Championship Indianapolis, IN - 31 - 70 - L

I guess if you don't count the KSU win, but everything after the fact, then we've finally figured out where the numbers are coming from.

5. Win games: Since the KSU road win we are 16-17 on the road or something similar. We appear to be on our way to another 4 loss season.

Which KSU road win? The 2008 one? We are 14-6 on the road since that game, if my counting skills hold true. Or are you lumping our CCGs and bowl games into the road games category? Because CCGs and bowl games aren't really like road games where you are playing on the other team's home field.

If you are looking at an earlier KSU road win, I'd point out that those games were under the previous coaching regime.

Sorry it is 8-9 - I'll fix in the post.

2009 Road Games (4-1)

09/19 Virginia Tech Blacksburg L 15-16

10/08 #Missouri Columbia W 27-12

10/31 #Baylor Waco W 20-10

11/14 #Kansas Lawrence W 31-17

11/27 #Colorado Boulder W 28-20

2010 Road Games (4-1)

09/18 Washington Seattle W 56-21

10/02 #Kansas State Manhattan W 48-13

10/23 #Oklahoma State Stillwater W 51-41

11/06 #Iowa State Ames W 31-30 (OT)

11/20 #Texas A&M College Sta. L 6- 9

2011 Road Games (3-2)

09/24 Wyoming Laramie W 38-14

10/01 #Wisconsin Madison L 17-48

10/22 #Minnesota Minneapolis W 41-14

11/12 #Penn State State College W 17-14

11/19 #Michigan Ann Arbor L 17-45

2012 Road Games (3-2)

09/08 UCLA Pasadena L 30-36

10/06 #Ohio State Columbus L 38-63

10/20 #Northwestern Evanston W 29-28

11/03 #Michigan St. E. Lansing W 28-24

11/23 #Iowa Iowa City W 13- 7

Total since KSU road win in 2008: (14-6)

I'm not sure where you're getting 16-17 or 8-9.

/edit: I'm not trying to pick on you or be too nit-picky. I'm just trying to include the facts into this thread.

I don't have a problem stating I was wrong and eating humble pie. At my age I shouldn't go 'by memory' of what a story said!!

So Sam cherry-picked his stats to make his point? Unimpressed.

Also, not sure where I got that 10-9 result. Without a spreadsheet my math is crap.

Here was what he said...

In the 17 games away from home since beating KSU, Nebraska is 8-9. The Blackshirts are giving up an average of 30.3 points and 400 yards. The Huskers' turnover margin in those 17 games is minus-27, with 40 turnovers. That's 2.4 giveaways per game.

As much of a Husker fan as I am, today I am reminded that it is just a game. I hated the loss to Wisconsin and even more that we got abused but the sun came up this morning and today is another great day. We are fortunate.

The sun didn't come up for little Isaiah, my heart breaks for his family. Hug your kids a little more, tell them you love them, and make the most of the day!

It is always a good day as a Nebraska fan!

SUPERBUNNY

• Fire 2

So Sam cherry-picked his stats to make his point? Unimpressed.

Also, not sure where I got that 10-9 result. Without a spreadsheet my math is crap.

Here was what he said...

In the 17 games away from home since beating KSU, Nebraska is 8-9. The Blackshirts are giving up an average of 30.3 points and 400 yards. The Huskers' turnover margin in those 17 games is minus-27, with 40 turnovers. That's 2.4 giveaways per game.

Thank you, I read what he stated. There's no reason to arbitrarily eliminate that game other than to artificially inflate his point. Why ignore the 2010 Kansas State game? In fact, why ignore the entire 2010 season, including the Washington road trip?

Counting the whole 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons, we're 10-9 away from Memorial Stadium (the WASH game is where I originally got that 10-9 stat).

Average scores in those away games:

NU - 28

OPP - 29

So, in road games over the past three seasons, we're allowing one point more than we're scoring. That doesn't make the point Sam wanted to make, so he ignores two games in the 2010 season. Meh.

Frank Solich was fired for going 9-3 because he lost to KSU 31-10 ( I believe that was the score) and not bringing us closer to the NC game. Does NU need to apologize for firing Frank? We fired Frank for lesser issues than what I note above.

No. There were other issues involved. It's not always only about football.

Yes, that is true - there were other hidden issue not fully known at the time to fans on the outside.

So... if you know that, why even put that in your OP? It's inaccurate, and doesn't make the point you're trying to make. :confucius

I forgot about that side until you mentioned it. When I think of Frank, I don't think of his personal issues.

See I still don't buy this. Solich wasn't coaching in the 60's when everything was hush hush. The late 90's early 2000's. The media and internet existed back then. I think SP wanted to put his stamp on the program. If there was something Frank did to get fired...it would've been out there. Conspiracy crap...

I might want to make a small argument about point #1.

Sipple wrote today that Nebraska is only 1 of 4 teams to win at least 9 games each of the last 5 years. NU, Alabama, Oregon, and Boise St.

Only one of those teams have won a NC and one played in one. So we could be closer than anyone thinks. And before anyone jumps on this, I do understand that these teams are not getting 50, 60, 70 points dropped on them at least 1 game every year.

I guess my point is that there is NO TEAM in football that is dominant for long streaks like Nebraska was in the 90's except for Alabama now. Most teams catch a break some year (Texas, Auburn, OU, Ohio St) and win 1 NC and possibly compete for an additional.

Having said that, HC's of these teams also take long looks in the mirror after a season of not winning and make necessary adjustments. This is where Bo has to look real hard at what he is going to have on the sideline for coaches next year. He has done a good job and deserves to make changes to benefit the team. If he comes out next year with the same staff and doesn't recognize the need to go a different direction, then it shows that he is too stubborn to win big games.

Devany recognized the need for a differnet offense in his time as coach. So he gave the reigns to TO.

Even TO recognized the need to change after losing to Miami and Florida St. I remember reading something about him going to see Bobby Bowden to find out how to get faster and more physical on D.

Solich fired and forced retirement on close colleagues because he saw the need for a fresh approach.

Callahan hired freinds despite their lack of ability. Wisconsin sure benefited from us taking Cosgrove off of their hands. Bielema turned out okay after that. ANd dont even get me started on Elmasion.

Now its Bo's turn. Let's see what he does to improve for next year.

Knapp, I get what your saying about not firing an average coach. But is that what you want? I've been a staunch supporter of Bo over his time here but when you think about it do you want a coach that may go 8-4 a couple times, never gets blown out and often puts his team in contention and talk for championships? Or do you wanna stick with the quo of getting 9-wins but losing when it counts and getting blown out by lesser teams, getting beat by a weak NW last year. A good coach doesn't lose to them, or ISU. Theres more than wins and losses in this game, it's how you play the game. I've seen the CU game in 01, the TTU game, and now saturdays game. It was the worst of the three. And unfortunately it's become a norm of Pelini's tenure that I've been hoping we could get past... Up until that game I was all aboard, rose colored glasses, but now I'm remebering that this isn't the first time this team has allowed this and I don't know if he can fix it on his own. But I do know one thing, somethings gotta change.

Getting "woodshedded" like Saturday brings out the fears of fans. And it should. THAT was ugly. My mother-in-law who doesn't watch football flipped by the score and told me it was ugly.

Bo should be going out recruiting with Coach Kaz and handing out blackshirts to any JUCO D-Lineman they find. Bo's defense is WAY to reliant on the front four holding up and when they don't, it gets ugly.

Second, Bo and Beck need to figure out a way for T-Mart to stop the turnovers. They KILL NU. T-Mart has improved. But, as my wife remarks constantly when T-Mart scores or gets knocked down -- his teammates don't exactly rush to his aid.

The defense was atrocious but the Offense HAS to stop the bleeding as well not drop the ball, fumble, and 3 and out.

Just curious. What are you insinuating here?

I'm not saying we need to keep Pelini. I agree that we can't have these blowout losses ever, ever again. I agreed with that after Ohio State, after South Carolina, after Michigan, after Wisconsin, after Oklahoma back in 2008. These are not acceptable, ever. We hired a "project" coach who was going to have to grow into the position. He's growing, but the progress is slow. So... what do we do? Do we can him after three ten-win seasons in five years? Do we can him for the four losses a year he inevitably earns? Do we can him for the blowouts? Whatever reason we can him, it had better be a good reason, one that other coaches can agree with and won't get spooked by, because if we fire a coach who wins 9-10 games a year, every year, we're not going to get a decent coach to come here to replace him. The bar would be too high.

And to the inevitable reply from those who think we can get any coach we want, if we just offer them enough money, you're being terribly myopic about that. The fact is, we opened up the purse strings to several coaches back in 2004 and we ended up with Bill Callahan. Anyone wanting to repeat that mistake is crazy.