Chatelain hits the nail on the head with three sentences

How many college football teams does that state have? Georia's right above Florida. When was the last time they won a NC? Nevada is right next door to California. When was the last time they won a NC?

good point. you really burned me.

edit:

@HuskerExtraSip

Where's Bo Pelini? According to http://HuskerOnline.com , the #Huskerscoach tonight will visit OT prospect David Knevel in Ontario.

could you imagine what bo could do if he had to go from just nevada to so. cal rather than leave the freakin' country.

Who was Oklahoma's coach before Stoops?

John Blake. One of if not the best recruiter the sport has ever seen. He lined up 3 years of top recruting classes for Stoops when he took over.

Also talking about Saban and Meyer, it's easy to turn around a program with very good coaching into a juggernaut overnight when you have that top notch talent in your backyard. I'm sorry, but recruiting for those guys is down there is 100 times easier than it is here. It's just the way it is.

John Blake. One of if not the best recruiter the sport has ever seen. He lined up 3 years of top recruting classes for Stoops when he took over.

Also talking about Saban and Meyer, it's easy to turn around a program with very good coaching into a juggernaut overnight when you have that top notch talent in your backyard. I'm sorry, but recruiting for those guys is down there is 100 times easier than it is here. It's just the way it is.

you still have not explained why it is hard to recruit in nevada. i think that was his point.

also, stoops declined and is now stagnant since his first 3 yrs.

you still have not explained why it is hard to recruit in nevada. i think that was his point.

I'll explain it- it's called being a traditional power with a stadium of over 70k seating and being in a real BCS league-

come on folks let's get real

I just still dont understand this entitled attitude. Does anyone think that maybe this is just where our program is, and could be for a long time? Sure many dont want to settle for that, but I guess I'm one that doesnt want to risk what success we do have in a blind attempt to make it better, because we as a fanbase have this generalized notion that we "deserve better". That elitest thinking is what helped to send this program down the crapper 10 years ago to begin with. I personally believe we are fortunate to have had as good as it has been under Bo. I'm not understanding all the angst I guess because I am comfortable admitting that we probably will never win another National Championship again. The logistics of college football is just not going to allow it for us. I hope I'm wrong just like anyone else. We are hungry for the dominant days again that we forget that that run was the lightning in a bottle not these days of 9-10 wins.

It's not entitlement to expect Nebraska to be a top 10 program, it's pride.

The article was spot on. We are in a stalemate and Bo has to find a way to get the program progressing again. Bo's not wrong when he says it's a process, but right now his process is stuck in an infinite loop.

the article was written by a hack and the premise is crap- how many times do people need to be told that Bo is doing things the way TO did them, to understand he needs people to support him.... and if people like dick Shatonmyland would crawl back into the anus he was deposited into the world from, we'll have a better shot at keeping Bo so maybe he can have his "Miami" moment too

I think you're predisposed to dislike Dirk. I live in MN so I don't read the LJS or OWH as often as I would like to, so I really don't know if the guy is a hack or not. But this article was aimed dead-center. Bo is at a crossroads and has a lot of really tough decisions to make over the offseason.

of course i'm " predisposed" to dislike dick diggler- he;s a richard head about ANYTHING he writes about Bo- and that wasn't some sort of insightful article he wrote- The OWH should be firebombed for allowing dick diggler to work there- the little dweeb- BTW what was your first clue that I'm predisposed to wanting Dirk to ESAD?

I'll explain it- it's called being a traditional power with a stadium of over 70k seating and being in a real BCS league-

come on folks let's get real

there it is. thank you.

Bo, Meyer, and Stoops all walked into similar situations as far as I'm concerned. Stoops probably walked into the worst of situations given the team morale as Blake was the poorest of the coaches these three followed. However, in each instance the coach before them did a very good job of recruiting. Saban on the other hand is in a league of his own. Bama was decimated with violations and sanctions. When Bama got hit with further sanctions, Franchione ran from the situation. Bama just prior to Saban had fewer schollies and such. I don't think Saban walked into anything similar to what the others did. He made it a priority to load up the talent which is what landed him a NC in his third season there.

Basically what I'm saying is that you could bring in Meyer, Stoops, or Saban to Nebraska and they'd bring in really good recruiting classes. Nebraska might not be the easiest place to bring in recruits, but Clownahan did it. As far as I know, he didn't cheat to do it either. When all of this dialogue began, I was rather refuting the idea that elite teams are built because recent history suggests just the opposite. There are several recent past NC teams where the coach was either in his second or third year at the school when winning it all. I'd say that a couple of decades ago elite teams were built as it took TO and Bobby Bowden several years before winning it all. However, the recent trend is that a new coach wins it all fairly early. I'd venture to guess you could take the upper echelon coaches, and you could put them on almost any team where they'd see immediate success. This is why Saban can demand so much money. It will be interesting to see if Texas gets into a bidding war with Bama over him at season's end.

Stoops walked into a team with national-championship caliber talent. That's not remotely close to what Bo walked into, and if we're talking team morale the Sooners were light-years ahead of the 2007 Huskers. The 1998 Sooners had just suffered a 5-6 season, during which they missed a bowl game by a field goal in their final game. The team Bo inherited was a complete wreck compared to that Sooner team.

• Fire 1

after doing some research on, i think bo pelini is a lot like mark richt. i used to have no respect for him because his teams always seemed overrated and destined to be a letdown. after further research on richt, his ascendancy and winning percentage, i have a lot more respect for him and see bo as a similar coach. both went for being coordinators to head coaches at major universities. both started out with up-and-down seasons and silenced skeptics their second year. both have a similar winning percentage. both seem to give their respective fan bases enough to have hope, but also be frustrated. and just this year georgia was one game away. maybe that is as close as richt will ever get, maybe next year is his year.

my point is that there are coaches, respectable coaches, out there that work to build a program and have sustained success. my other point is that the coaches that get mentioned a lot are the extreme elite and it is unrealistic to expect those results. i think a coach that wins, on average, 9-10 wins a year, gets us to a conference championship more times than not, wins some of those, and produces teams that compete for a national championship (or get to the playoffs) every once in while, should be a coach that we are more than satisfied with.

my point is that there are coaches, respectable coaches, out there that work to build a program and have sustained success. my other point is that the coaches that get mentioned a lot are the extreme elite and it is unrealistic to expect those results. i think a coach that wins, on average, 9-10 wins a year, gets us to a conference championship more times than not, wins some of those, and produces teams that compete for a national championship (or get to the playoffs) every once in while, should be a coach that we are more than satisfied with.

Agreed.

And I think most of us are still a little bit more butt hurt over the CCG catastrophe than we'd care to admit. It's still pretty fresh. But I hearken back to an awesome thread Nebula made about a month ago, hailing this season as a success when the overwhelming majority thought we'd lose 3-4 regular season games and not make the CCG prior to the season starting.

And this is where it gets completely subjective...but I feel like it's fairly obvious that this season was an improvement over last season. Win or lose against Georgia, our offense has a huge amount of steam heading into next season. We may just be able to flat out score-whore opponents next year, regardless of the amount of defensive improvement we wind up with. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're scoring 40 in every conference game.

Things can't possibly be as bad as most are making it out to be, all things considered.

Stoops walked into a team with national-championship caliber talent. That's not remotely close to what Bo walked into, and if we're talking team morale the Sooners were light-years ahead of the 2007 Huskers. The 1998 Sooners had just suffered a 5-6 season, during which they missed a bowl game by a field goal in their final game. The team Bo inherited was a complete wreck compared to that Sooner team.

Here was OU's win/loss the three years prior to Stoops: 96', they were 3-8. 97', they were 4-8. 98', they were 5-6. Stoops inherited a team that didn't know how to win. In 06', we played for the Big 12 Championship. Another thing about the talent and winning it all was that Josh Heupel was a huge part of OU winning a NC. John Blake didn't bring in Heupel. Heupel committed to Mike Leach who was Stoops OC. Heupel was the Hypseman runner up, AP player of the year, and Walter Camp winner. Without Heupel, OU doesn't win that NC. Stoops didn't inherit all his talent from Blake. Blake was the worst coach in the Gibbs, Schnellenberger, Blake era. Even in Gibbs' worst year, he still managed to make a bowl game. The five seasons prior to Stoops, OU was in way worse shape than the five years prior to Bo taking over our program.

Bo inherited his best player Suh to have his best year here in year two. Stoops recruited his best player in Heupel to win a NC in year two. I think people tend to overlook what NCAA sanctions and loss of scholarships does to a team. By all accounts, Gibbs did a rather good job posting a 65% winning percentage despite all odds. OU got greedy which is how they inherited the flops known as Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake.

• Fire 1

after doing some research on, i think bo pelini is a lot like mark richt. i used to have no respect for him because his teams always seemed overrated and destined to be a letdown. after further research on richt, his ascendancy and winning percentage, i have a lot more respect for him and see bo as a similar coach. both went for being coordinators to head coaches at major universities. both started out with up-and-down seasons and silenced skeptics their second year. both have a similar winning percentage. both seem to give their respective fan bases enough to have hope, but also be frustrated. and just this year georgia was one game away. maybe that is as close as richt will ever get, maybe next year is his year.

You're probably right. Richt arguably had his best season in year two just like Bo has. Richt has nearly lost his job in the past only to do just enough to give the fanbase hope. The biggest question here is whether we at Nebraska give Bo 12 seasons to breathe just enough hope? The only glaring difference I can see is that Richt is a better recruiter. They've had top five classes the past three years.

Here was OU's win/loss the three years prior to Stoops: 96', they were 3-8. 97', they were 4-8. 98', they were 5-6. Stoops inherited a team that didn't know how to win. In 06', we played for the Big 12 Championship. Another thing about the talent and winning it all was that Josh Heupel was a huge part of OU winning a NC. John Blake didn't bring in Heupel. Heupel committed to Mike Leach who was Stoops OC. Heupel was the Hypseman runner up, AP player of the year, and Walter Camp winner. Without Heupel, OU doesn't win that NC. Stoops didn't inherit all his talent from Blake. Blake was the worst coach in the Gibbs, Schnellenberger, Blake era. Even in Gibbs' worst year, he still managed to make a bowl game. The five seasons prior to Stoops, OU was in way worse shape than the five years prior to Bo taking over our program.

Bo inherited his best player Suh to have his best year here in year two. Stoops recruited his best player in Heupel to win a NC in year two. I think people tend to overlook what NCAA sanctions and loss of scholarships does to a team. By all accounts, Gibbs did a rather good job posting a 65% winning percentage despite all odds. OU got greedy which is how they inherited the flops known as Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake.

One player, either Suh or Heupel, doth not a team make. That national-championship defense was mostly Blake recruits. And if we're comparing years before either Stoops or Pelini, in 1998 Oklahoma lost six games by a total of 92 points, and gave up more than 35 points one time. 2007 Nebraska lost seven games by 160 points and gave up 35 or more points seven times. They were beaten by an average of 22 points. That team was an utter shambles, and definitely not better off than the team Stoops inherited. At least Stoops had a defense to work with. Bo had a defense in disarray and an offense that could score... sometimes.

and schnellenberger did just as much damage from a culture standpoint as Callahan did. He set out to erase the memory of Switzer. Those guys ran that program into the ground in the mid-90's. Stoops came in as a young DC from the SEC and lit it up.

I think last year I looked back through the last 10 or so MNCs. Almost all of them were won by coaches in their first few years on the job (or repeats by those coaches).