Husker fans....FYI, Mark Richt will NOT...

S1C EM

They threw like, what, 8 passes in that game? You can't accuse them of running up the score when they run it up the middle with the occasional run to the outside.

What were they supposed to do, start taking a knee in the 3rd quarter? Throw incomplete passes on purpose?

I don't know... Do what we did for 20 years and put in backups in the second half instead of playing your starters for essentially the whole game.

So they didn't pull their starters when you would have liked, that doesn't necessarily mean they were trying to run the score up.

Do you honestly think they were incapable of scoring 84? I don't.

I just never got the impression they were trying to run the score up. If you did, that's fine too.

Hey Husker fans; I hope y'all are doing OK. Y'all already know me from past posts -- as I am the Georgia / Nebraska fan as they are my #1 and #2 favorite teams since 1981. My younger brother's two teams are Georgia and Notre Dame, so he's having the time of his life right now!

I don't know why my UGA fan base is blogging on here with comments of criticism aimed at my beloved head coach -- Mark Richt -- and his offenses. Richt does the best he can in a very competitive league that beats up its teams very much. The teams in the SEC beat on each other constantly.

Richt has spoiled us at Georgia with great success -- but many Bulldog fans are discontent because of the lack of titles (only two SEC titles under coach Richt since 2001). These fans have unrealistic expectations because coach Richt hasn't won a national title, but you all in Nebraska could admire his body of work easily and recall that it took your very own legend Dr. Tom Osborne some 20 years of coaching (1994) before he finally claimed that championship.

It's just that some newcomer coaches such as Urban Meyer and Les Miles entered the SEC recently and won quick and surprising national titles the last few years, and it's caused some of my UGA fan base to react in irrational ways over the pursuit of a national title.

Some of our fans can't see the forest for the trees. I remember the dismal days of the 1990s as a Georgia fan, so I have no problem with coach Richt. Our quarterback Aaron Murray is a sight to behold operating the passing attack for Georgia.

T-Magic has been exciting to watch this year with his mobility, but I can't wait to see Tommy Armstrong take the controls for Nebraska in the near future. Also, I hope that Big Red can rebuild the psyche of its defense. In the past, Nebraska had steady performers like John Reece, Toby Wright, Trev Alberts, and Kareem Moss. I hope Nebraska can improve on defense. And I still think that coach Pelini should insert more athletes in at RB and QB during the course of a game. He only uses one QB the entire game where as coach Osborne would play atleast two a game -- I remember watching Scott Frost and Frankie London -- and Tommie Frazier / Brook Berringer, and Eric Crouch / Bobby Newcombe, and Turner Gill / Nate Mason, and Steve Taylor / Jerry Gdowski. And these guys were tremendous athletes too! Osborne kept things fresh, and that offense took off to higher levels.

It sounds like they need coaching up on defense with Ciante Evans and Co. struggling against Wisconsin as much as they did Saturday. Does coach Carl Pelini's absence mean that much to NU's defense this year?

Y'all just got to keep your heads up.

I thought they were running it up, considering that Ball was in the game (which was pointless really because we couldn't stop the third string dude anyway), and that they were still running all sorts of line shifts late.

But I'm not gonna get bent out of shape about it.... play something even remotely close to competent defense and it isn't an issue.

They threw like, what, 8 passes in that game? You can't accuse them of running up the score when they run it up the middle with the occasional run to the outside.

What were they supposed to do, start taking a knee in the 3rd quarter? Throw incomplete passes on purpose?

I don't know... Do what we did for 20 years and put in backups in the second half instead of playing your starters for essentially the whole game.

I seriously do not understand this mindset in the slightest. You do understand that we played three running backs right? You do understand that our third string QB did not attempt a single pass the entire second half right? You do understand that for the overwhelming majority of the second half (I'm talking outside of maybe 3 plays) we ran straight inside hand offs the entire second half. Literally the entire second half.

The Montee Ball touchdown off the Martinez interception was a straightforward inside hand off. The Ball 50 yarder was an inside hand off and the James White TD was the exact same play. So you're primary gripe has to do with the idea that we sent Melvin Gordon into motion on those two big TDs. Really? You're upset that we sent someone into motion? This coming from someone upset about the penalty called on Kenny Bell's block (which I had no problem with) but sending someone into motion is out of bounds? Honestly, Montee Ball played three snaps in the fourth quarter (7 total in the entire second half) and they went for a grand total of 7 yards. And as for not taking out starters, that's just patently untrue. By the end of the game we were playing Jake Keefer at defensive tackle, who is a 250 lbs. converted linebacker.

I know this view doesn't span across the entire Nebraska fan base, but this is just silly.

You're right and then we would still score another 30-40 points. So what's your point?

Don't quit and they won't run up the score. I don't recall 2009 Iowa State complaining that we ran up the score. I don't recall 2010 South Dakota State complaining. We play overmatched teams that never quit, that keep fighting every play, all game, and they never cry about the score. Southern Miss fans didn't cry about the score. Idaho State fans didn't cry about the score.

People are pissed at Wisconsin for "running up the score?" That's probably as embarrassing an accusation for Husker fans to make as anything. We should never, ever make that claim.

Oh boo hoo, Wiscy didn't run up the score on us. That 70 points is our teams fault, not theirs. If you don't want the other team to score then you need to stop them. Period. A defense has to show up and play to the final whistle. Ours did neither. You cannot fault Wiscy for running plays that worked. The only thing they could've done that wouldn't have gashed our pathetic defense was take a knee. You're a whiner and not much of a sports fan if you want the opposing team to self limit their output.

• Fire 1

Oh boo hoo, Wiscy didn't run up the score on us. That 70 points is our teams fault, not theirs. If you don't want the other team to score then you need to stop them. Period. A defense has to show up and play to the final whistle. Ours did neither. You cannot fault Wiscy for running plays that worked. The only thing they could've done that wouldn't have gashed our pathetic defense was take a knee. You're a whiner and not much of a sports fan if you want the opposing team to self limit their output.

I'm a whiner for calling out a team that has a 35-10 lead at the end of the first half calling a timeout with 20 secs on the clock on their own 40 yard line?

I'm a whiner or calling out a team that left their star running back and Heisman candidate in the game until their last possession?

I'm not a real sports fan because I like teams to practice good sportsmanship?

I was at the game, I stayed until they started setting up the stage to hand out the trophy and watched that whole train wreck. I congratulated every Wisconsin fan I saw.

Maybe to be a real sports fan I need to hate my team, constantly call for my coach to be fired, and celebrate when teams run up the score on my team.

Pardon me sir, but you're a tool if you think there is nothing wrong with Wiscy running up the score and that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a whiner and not a real sports fan.

Pardon me sir, but you're a tool if you think there is nothing wrong with Wiscy running up the score and that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a whiner and not a real sports fan.

I'll agree with you on the "not a real sports fan" thing. My biggest sports-related pet peeve is people throwing around the "you're not a real fan if..." line like they somehow have the only attitude you can have if you want to be a sports fan.

That said, I have no problem with Wisconsin "running up the score" on us. Like JJ said, we couldn't stop them. What do you want them to do, start running backwards? Just give the ball to Nebraska and let them close the gap? Wisconsin never ran a single pass play in the 2nd half. They got points off of two things: turnovers, and our inability to stop the run.

I didn't see any Husker fans complaining about Bo "running up the score" when we beat Idaho State 73-7 and still had all our starters in there long after the game was over. How is what Wisconsin did to us any different?

Honestly, I can't fault Wisconsin for the time-out before half.

Nebraska has been, until this game, known for ridiculous come-backs this year. I would have done the same.

As far as the end of the game, there was not much to be done. NU didn't and could not stop the simplest plays. Not sure why anyone thinks they were running up the score. Might as well reverse it and admit our team quit at halftime. We should have been playing our younger guys for much of the second half to get them some experience. That is as valid an argument, I think, as anything else.

You do understand that we played three running backs right? You do understand that our third string QB did not attempt a single pass the entire second half right? You do understand that for the overwhelming majority of the second half (I'm talking outside of maybe 3 plays) we ran straight inside hand offs the entire second half. Literally the entire second half.

Let it go, big guy. The vast majority of us (myself included) would never whine about "running up the score." In fact, I'd go as far as to say that there's no such thing. A team deserves to destroy another team to the best of their abilities. This is competition for a league title, after all.

But just let it go. You curb stomped us. We're pissed at our own team, not at Wisconsin.

I'll agree with you on the "not a real sports fan" thing. My biggest sports-related pet peeve is people throwing around the "you're not a real fan if..." line like they somehow have the only attitude you can have if you want to be a sports fan.

That said, I have no problem with Wisconsin "running up the score" on us. Like JJ said, we couldn't stop them. What do you want them to do, start running backwards? Just give the ball to Nebraska and let them close the gap? Wisconsin never ran a single pass play in the 2nd half. They got points off of two things: turnovers, and our inability to stop the run.

I didn't see any Husker fans complaining about Bo "running up the score" when we beat Idaho State 73-7 and still had all our starters in there long after the game was over. How is what Wisconsin did to us any different?

Go back and look at some of my posts, hell I even started a thread about Bo needing to put backups in.

But talking actual facts, with Rex hurt Abdullah was our de facto starter (even though Rex did get some carries. Our last 2 scores in the 3rd and 4th came from Heard and Cross (the first TD we had in the 3rd was on a punt return from Abdullah, which at this point in the season I doubt anyone argues that he didn't need practice catching punts), we had Kellogg in as QB there permanently in the 3rd but didn't we take Martinez out in the 1st or 2nd to put Kellogg in until he started throwing interceptions and fumbling handoffs?

Yes, we beat a team 73-7, but the way Wiscy went about it was completely different. I don't think it's too much to point out that they left Ball in the game until their last possesion.

Hey Husker fans; I hope y'all are doing OK. Y'all already know me from past posts -- as I am the Georgia / Nebraska fan as they are my #1 and #2 favorite teams since 1981. My younger brother's two teams are Georgia and Notre Dame, so he's having the time of his life right now!

I don't know why my UGA fan base is blogging on here with comments of criticism aimed at my beloved head coach -- Mark Richt -- and his offenses. Richt does the best he can in a very competitive league that beats up its teams very much. The teams in the SEC beat on each other constantly.

Richt has spoiled us at Georgia with great success -- but many Bulldog fans are discontent because of the lack of titles (only two SEC titles under coach Richt since 2001). These fans have unrealistic expectations because coach Richt hasn't won a national title, but you all in Nebraska could admire his body of work easily and recall that it took your very own legend Dr. Tom Osborne some 20 years of coaching (1994) before he finally claimed that championship.

It's just that some newcomer coaches such as Urban Meyer and Les Miles entered the SEC recently and won quick and surprising national titles the last few years, and it's caused some of my UGA fan base to react in irrational ways over the pursuit of a national title.

Some of our fans can't see the forest for the trees. I remember the dismal days of the 1990s as a Georgia fan, so I have no problem with coach Richt. Our quarterback Aaron Murray is a sight to behold operating the passing attack for Georgia.

T-Magic has been exciting to watch this year with his mobility, but I can't wait to see Tommy Armstrong take the controls for Nebraska in the near future. Also, I hope that Big Red can rebuild the psyche of its defense. In the past, Nebraska had steady performers like John Reece, Toby Wright, Trev Alberts, and Kareem Moss. I hope Nebraska can improve on defense. And I still think that coach Pelini should insert more athletes in at RB and QB during the course of a game. He only uses one QB the entire game where as coach Osborne would play atleast two a game -- I remember watching Scott Frost and Frankie London -- and Tommie Frazier / Brook Berringer, and Eric Crouch / Bobby Newcombe, and Turner Gill / Nate Mason, and Steve Taylor / Jerry Gdowski. And these guys were tremendous athletes too! Osborne kept things fresh, and that offense took off to higher levels.

It sounds like they need coaching up on defense with Ciante Evans and Co. struggling against Wisconsin as much as they did Saturday. Does coach Carl Pelini's absence mean that much to NU's defense this year?

Y'all just got to keep your heads up.

WOW!! You must be living in Lincoln and have been there for a long time. Thanks for mentioning all those past huskers!! This old guy likes your coach and the way he goes about his business.