Nepotism

I don't like it. When I played football in HS the coaches kid was the featured back and got more than his share of the carries. We had a good team, and other guys got the ball, and we rushed for a zillion yards, but in the back of my mind I know that most of the guys on the team (including me) thought that the only reason that coaches kid got all those carries was because his father was the HC. The kid was a good kid and a decent player, but he was by far not the best back on the team. There were 3 guys on the roster that were better than him.

My Son went to HS and played football. The program (and all the athletic programs at the school) practiced nepotism to the extreem...."if you had a reletive in a position of power you were pretty much penciled in an employee, or you were given preferrential treatment if you were an athelete. That school is the worst in their conference at just about everything. They totally suck, and have sucked since I moved here (Chicago suburb) in 1990.

I see the Pelini kid got the start at center on Saturday...over the other kid he was competing against. I wonder how the team feels about that?

I like Ben Cotton as a TE....through his career he has been a steady performer - I'm glad he's a Husker. Aren't there some other Cotton's on the roster? Scholerships?

IMO....kids should go out and make their own mark in society. Don' be following parents or uncles around...it just doesn't look good. The purpose to growing up is going out in the world and taking what your family tought you and use it to bring a positive experience to others.

• Fire 1

That kind of stuff runs rampant in high school football. I got a lot more playing time as a sophomore once my coach found out who my grandpa is. Of course, I felt like I worked hard enough to earn it, but in the back of my mind I always knew what was really going on.

I'm sure it goes on in college as well.

Mark Pelini is a true center. He got the start over Pensick because of that, and that Pensick has actually been moved to guard, and has been for most the season in the 3 man guard rotation. Pelini was fine. He was the least of the issues.

Ben Cotton has earned his place. Good blocker. Great leader. The only one that I can recall that had been consistent at catching the ball all 4 years. I personally dont have a problem with the PT of either of these.

I know where you come from on the nepotism. It happens a lot of places in high school. Not in big boy College Football though. I guarantee Bo is putting the guys on the field that show the most in practice in terms of readiness. There is no nepotism. There is no doghouse.

• Fire 1

I like Ben Cotton as a TE....through his career he has been a steady performer - I'm glad he's a Husker. Aren't there some other Cotton's on the roster? Scholerships?

IMO....kids should go out and make their own mark in society. Don' be following parents or uncles around...it just doesn't look good. The purpose to growing up is going out in the world and taking what your family tought you and use it to bring a positive experience to others.

Pelini got the start because Pensick is a better guard. Pelini was the next best that we had for that position. No poor snaps or anything. I think he did ok for his first start. A few missed blocks, but that was expected and I don't think anyone of us were slightly surprised. He didn't get the start because he is Bo's nephew. He got it because he earned it and was next best after Jackson.

I guess I am not picking up what your trying to say? So because they have family coaching for the team, they should go elsewhere? I totally disagree with that honestly. There is nothing wrong with that, and honestly, from my days of sports, the kid's fathers that were coaches, harped on them much harder than us. If family is to play for them, I am sure they have higher expectations, otherwise you would have seen Pelini in from day one. You would also see Sam starting rather than 2nd string. Each one of these players earned their spot on the field.

Ferentz from Iowa has all his sons playing for him. Only person who got a firm start was James Ferentz. His other kid is scout team because he isn't that good.

just don't see this on the team. (the formation of our staff on the other hand....)

i'd take 10 ben cottons before I took the risk on a 5* TE recruit that might not pan out. he's had a great career here. he's a high character kid and certainly seems (from the outside looking in) to be the type of player we want on the team and on the field. just don't see why everyone bashes the cotton scholarships. especially since Pelini carries about 80 schollys anyway (5 short with plenty of room). bash barney cotton if you want, but his kids deserve better. they've earned better.

This thread is kind of silly. We don't have a bad player who is on the field because he has the right last name. Cody Hawkins was an example of that at Colorado. Most coaches are against playing a kid that is related to them because of the automatic perception. Look at Lauren Cook. She was thought to be a start because of her dad. But then you watch the Huskers play and you immediately know that she is playing because she is a good player. Ben Cotton has been a very good player for us. Mark Pelini wouldn't be starting unless there was an injury, so it's hard to say he is being played for having the Pelini name. If that was the case, why was Jackson starting there in the first place?

I see the Pelini kid got the start at center on Saturday...over the other kid he was competing against. I wonder how the team feels about that?

Paring down the OP because this isn't really about the OP's kid in High School, and he seems to say that Ben Cotton has earned his job, this thread appears to be a question of whether Mark Pelini deserved the start over Pensick in the CCG. Correct that if I'm wrong, but that's what I'm getting here.

Bottom line - yes, Pelini earned the start. And to bitch about "following your... uncles around..." please. That just sounds silly. The kid can play, and did well. Let's wait until he screws up something before starting a thread like this, how's about that?

We had similar people bitching about Ben Cotton playing TE or being on scholarship here, and those people have been shown to be idiots umpteen times over. We're damned lucky to have had Ben Cotton on this team, and he has more than earned his scholarship throughout his career.

Between legitimate question and nonsensical bitching, this thread falls far closer to nonsensical bitching.

Ben Cotton was a 4* recruit out of Ames High School going to Louisville before his dad got the job at Nebraska. He had quite a few offers coming out of HS. Jake his second son was probably a little more of a stretch. He will probably play a lot next year if he can stay healthy. He may actually fight for a starting guard spot. Sam Cotton will probably play a lot next year as a RS Frosh TE.