What Should Expectations Be?

anything less than getting to the rose bowl next year is a bust in my opinion i know the defense will be very young but so many of you guys say the young players are better than those that played this year has my hopes up, hopefully the upgrade in athleticism will make up for the inexperience. i hope the issue will be worked out by confrence play. fans should always expect their team to win and be able to reload talent and keep on winning even after someone talented leaves, whats the point in rooting for 9-3 seasons fans shoulld expect the best and get it not every year but a confrence title every 3-4 years would be realistic if Wisconsin can get to 3 straight rose bowls then we have no excuse for not being able to do something similar

Other than we have to replace the top ten defensive players, with brand new freshman, that have never seen the field. If this gives you hope for improvement, it does not take much to get you to that level. I hope they are half as good as some seem to think they are. We really have never seen that happen the first year. Hopefully the staff will cut some of the difficulty out of the scheme and the supposed more athletic will be able to make an improvement. I doubt they really have anything figured out until well within the conference schedule. Of course it is a much easier schedule, but we had several close calls that were won due to others mistakes, not our taking them.

Next year is going to be a tough one I think, but we ended up much better than I thought this year, so here is hoping I am as wrong as I was this year.

Other than we have to replace the top ten defensive players, with brand new freshman, that have never seen the field. If this gives you hope for improvement, it does not take much to get you to that level. I hope they are half as good as some seem to think they are. We really have never seen that happen the first year. Hopefully the staff will cut some of the difficulty out of the scheme and the supposed more athletic will be able to make an improvement. I doubt they really have anything figured out until well within the conference schedule. Of course it is a much easier schedule, but we had several close calls that were won due to others mistakes, not our taking them.

Next year is going to be a tough one I think, but we ended up much better than I thought this year, so here is hoping I am as wrong as I was this year.

Every year is gonna be a tough one according to you.

Not quite correct there stumpy. I have said for the last 5 years, we are not going to be as good as we think we are, never been close to negative on the win loss until this year. I think we were lucky not to have a few more losses this year. Noramlly I pick around 8-4, where I expect we will be next year.

We were lucky this year period. But of course we whave the magic 9-10 wins, with horendous ass whippings and we are happy.

Tell me if KState were to lose their whole defense and had 10 freshmen coming in next year would you say they should end up in the Fiesta Bowl. Doubtfull

You guys can not take off the Husker glasses. I through mine away the last year of Clownahan. Never going to wear them again. We ended up better than I thought we would, fantastic, but it was very close to being a nightmare. Try to admit that and then you will see where I am coming from.

It will be tough next year, and here we are loading as much preasure on them as we can, Rose Bowl or bust. bullsh#t!!!! Win what were supposed to win, play respectable in the others. Lose what we lose and if we end up being in the outside toilet bowl so be it. Just be the best we can be, and most of that is pointed at the staff. Forcing a new inexperienced defense next year is not planning. It is stupidity. And it is going to hurt us the start. Now the following year, I can see the growth pattern if they are any better than what we put on the field this year. We have to hope for that, as we have seen nothing to prove it.

I think it's clear we were quite a bit better in '09 and '10 than we are now, despite the W/L being similar. Back then we were at least competitive in virtually every game, and we were on the cusp of "getting over the hump".

Getting curb stomped by a middling Wisconsin team in the championship makes that hump looks like Everest compared to being 1 second away in '09. Hell, if we're competitive in every game next year, and still finish the season 10-4, I'd view that as a significant improvement and a reason to be optimistic about the future.

Occasional Conference title, Rose Bowl and National title contention. Top Ten finish too. I'm not saying we have to have all of them all of the time but being in the mix each year should very well be the expectation.

I'd say the 70s is probably the model to shoot for. 5 Conference titles, 2 National Titles, 1 Heisman, Top ten finishes every year.

I do not look for Nebraska to ever return to the Osborne 90's. Not realistic.

All I have ever wanted from this program is for it to be respectable, win the games we should, play the game like it should be played, be honest in the way we do things, with coaches, players and fans.

I am not that big on wins or losses, but want a program we can be proud of, win or lose.

I saw that in the bowl game. We played hard, over our heads I think. Losing has benefits, and gives lessons. We all lose and some win. We have done our fair share. I think Bo has the best interest of the program at heart. Still not my favorite person, but he is trying awfully hard to do things right. Still in over his head, and does not have the quality help he should have.

Still better than win at any cost.

If we win the ones we should and play as hard as we did in the bowl game, I can accept the losses. I understand the position Nebraska is in as far as a destination site by young kids. I loved the state, but moved away and have never returned. Never will due to the weather. How can I condem a kid for not wanting to stay there year around if I won't.

But we have to sell the program, the graduation rate, the help the players get to work towards graduation, the cleaness of the program to parents and the fact that Bo does run a tight ship. He seems to look after them like they are his.

Well said.. I do get the sense that sometimes Bo is in over his head a bit and it would be nice if we didn't have to have a coach that had to learn on the job.. But I think there are signs that he's learning, which is a good thing..

Thanks Dave,

As you know I love this program, just want the best for it. Just do not see the great progress some see. Hopefully in the near future. But I decided a long time ago, to call things are they are, or at least as I see them, not as I want them so badly to be.

We have a lot of work. I seriously doubt we get it done next year or the following. That meaning a truly competitive team. No defensive blow outs and losses we should not get.

I think Bo will get it done, but all the high expectations based on little does not do him any good either.

Thanks Dave,

As you know I love this program, just want the best for it. Just do not see the great progress some see. Hopefully in the near future. But I decided a long time ago, to call things are they are, or at least as I see them, not as I want them so badly to be.

We have a lot of work. I seriously doubt we get it done next year or the following. That meaning a truly competitive team. No defensive blow outs and losses we should not get.

I think Bo will get it done, but all the high expectations based on little does not do him any good either.

Yea.. I believe Bo has historically been blown out a few times a year... That's no good.