College Football's Early Top 25 for 2013

ESPN picked Texas #11.

:rollin

Of course they did! They have millions vested in Texas. Same with the SEC. They have to protect their 'golden calves'!

well put. And it is all of the TV revenue that fuels the SEC dominance. I wonder how much of it goes under the table to recruits and their families. :dunno

I like being ranking as highly as possible. Deserved or not, I don't care as long as the Huskers are closer to 1 than 25.

If there's one thing the past few seasons have shown, is that being ranked very highly at the beginning of the season gives you a mulligan for a loss. Start off lower ranked, and you don't have that.

ESPN picked Texas #11.

:rollin

Of course they did! They have millions vested in Texas. Same with the SEC. They have to protect their 'golden calves'!

well put. And it is all of the TV revenue that fuels the SEC dominance. I wonder how much of it goes under the table to recruits and their families. :dunno

http://collegesports...-by-conference/

Big Ten

10 years, $1 billion, ABC/ESPN (through 2016)

25 years, +$2.8 billion, Big Ten Network (through 2032)

6 years, $145 million, Fox (B1G championship game through 2016)

Annual: $236 million

Average Annual per School: $19.7-$22 million

SEC

15 years, $2.25 billion, ESPN (through 2024)

15 years, $825 million, CBS (through 2024)

Annual: $205 million

Average Annual per School: $17.1 million

But don't let facts get in the way.

And before you point out that ESPN funds the SEC more than the Big 10, consider that it pays the ACC more than both:

ACC

15 years, $3.6 billion, ESPN (through 2027)

Annual: $240 million

So why aren't they pumping the ACC over the SEC?

Pay attention to basketball.

And before you point out that ESPN funds the SEC more than the Big 10, consider that it pays the ACC more than both:

ACC

I don't think ESPN pimps the ACC anymore than any other conference when it comes to basketball. Remember a few years ago when it was all about the Big East in basketball? Then again, basketball means next to nothing compared to college football when it comes to revenue.

ACC

I don't think ESPN pimps the ACC anymore than any other conference when it comes to basketball. Remember a few years ago when it was all about the Big East in basketball? Then again, basketball means next to nothing compared to college football when it comes to revenue.

I guess I shouldve been more clear. It's obvoiusl the ESPN's interest in the ACC is mostly due to basketball.

Pac-12

12 years, $2.7 billion, Fox/ABC/ESPN (through 2024)

Annual: $225 million (* $505 million potential)

Average Annual per School: $20.2 million ($18.8 million from Fox/ABC/ESPN with $30-$50 million projected with Pac-12 Network)

What's really obvious is that you guys are wrong about why ESPN pays so much attention to the SEC. They play the best football. They have the most rabid fan bases, which means they may be good for ratings to hype them, but mostly it goes back to the SEC having the best teams. ESPN didn't pimp them that much when they weren't on top so that's not how they got on top. If ESPN was going to do this, I'd think they'd have pimped the Big East for years and try to get more TVs in the northeast tuning into college football. Expanding that market is a better strategy than trying to promote the SEC market that is already going to watch anything you show anyway. The contract money argument just doesn't hold up because they pay a lot of conferences a lot of money, some more than the SEC.

We should start next year between 10-14....

I'll be genuinely surprised if we're that high. I think we'll probably begin pre-season in the 15-17 range.

I wish polls didn't exist and or didn't come out until mid-season but this will unfortunately never happen.