DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

Starter at nose tackle for stanford

Thanks Bo

Okay, I agree to an extent but.... Collins, Valentine, Williams, Maurice, Stoltenberg, Davis, Davis...need I go on? It's not like were hurting there... Perhaps you should be mad about Ott...

How much did the blow him up to be a 3-4 nose tackle?

I would have taken him in a heartbeat at a DE (preferably) or a DT. He would for sure be in the rotation this year. To be starting at Stanford I'd say he's better than Maurice. And we don't know if Mick or Davis^2 will ever pan out. Harrison is a known entity.

Eh .....

Coach we don't like loses an instate player to a great academic school, "He screwed up"

Coach we like loses one already-committed player and another player we had a good early in with to less-than-great academic schools, "Sometimes players just want to go somewhere else"

Big difference.

Bo clearly slow played Phillips. So he went elsewhere and is now starting. And Phillips wasn't the first player Bo did this to.

Riley went for Bubak and Fant early but they felt somewhere was a better fit. Plus Bubak and Fant aren't starting for either of those teams and we don't know if they will.

This isn't about liking one coach more than the other.

• Fire 1

Eh .....

Coach we don't like loses an instate player to a great academic school, "He screwed up"

Coach we like loses one already-committed player and another player we had a good early in with to less-than-great academic schools, "Sometimes players just want to go somewhere else"

You can't compare a recruiting process without a coaching change to ones with. Invalid comparison. If this were next year maybe your point would make sense.

Eh .....

Big difference.

Bo clearly slow played Phillips. So he went elsewhere and is now starting. And Phillips wasn't the first player Bo did this to.

Riley went for Bubak and Fant early but they felt somewhere was a better fit. Plus Bubak and Fant aren't starting for either of those teams and we don't know if they will.

And we know that even if Bo DID go after Phillips earlier that he wouldn't have chosen Stanford anyway ...... how?

And no, I don't think it tells us anything about recruiting ability when you're comparing slow-playing a guy at a position where we're very deep vs. not being able to hold the lead for two guys at positions where we're in dire need of depth.

I doubt Phillips would be starting here. Possibly next year and maybe the year after that but not now.

Eh .....

Big difference.

And we know that even if Bo DID go after Phillips earlier that he wouldn't have chosen Stanford anyway ...... how?

And no, I don't think it tells us anything about recruiting ability when you're comparing slow-playing a guy at a position where we're very deep vs. not being able to hold the lead for two guys at positions where we're in dire need of depth.

I doubt Phillips would be starting here. Possibly next year and maybe the year after that but not now.

I agree that we don't know for sure that Phillips would have chosen NU over Stanford, but he did slow play him. I definitely agree with this. BP learned his lesson and offered the TE from Lincoln Christian early. It hasn't panned out as he is now going to ASU but it is a similar situation. Phillips was a better prospect than that kid anyway. He blew it with Ott and Bazada. He worried too much about the competition they were playing against and didn't look enough at their frames, athletic ability and most important motors.

Eh .....

Big difference.

We don't know if Phillips would have ended up here, but it would have been nice to try.

Assuming we kept him a DE< I think that he would have played a ton this year for us. He may or may not have started over Gangwish, but he for sure would be the top backup at end.

Eh .....

Big difference.

We don't know if Phillips would have ended up here, but it would have been nice to try.

Assuming we kept him a DE< I think that he would have played a ton this year for us. He may or may not have started over Gangwish, but he for sure would be the top backup at end.

I guess I'm assuming if he's the starting NG for Stanford he wouldn't be playing DE here. He's bigger than Stoltenberg who got moved inside.

Eh .....

Big difference.

I guess I'm assuming if he's the starting NG for Stanford he wouldn't be playing DE here. He's bigger than Stoltenberg who got moved inside.

In my fantasy land we keep Mick at DE.

He blew it with Ott and Bazada.

I don't know much about Bazada's story but apparently we really blew it with Ott. I can understand why he was on the short end of the numbers game as far as scholarships go - we only signed 17 in the class and took McMullen and Moss at DE so there really wasn't room for a third - but I always assumed he at least had an offer to walk on. But apparently he didn't even get that - his mom said he probably would have walked on here over a scholarship from Iowa. That hurts.

I hear ya there. Especially with the lack of depth we have at the moment.

2015 rosters

Phillips - 6'4" 278 lbs

McMullen - 6'3" 280 lbs

Yeah, and McMullen might be bigger than that. Of course Phillips might be as well.

But: Stoltenberg - 6'5" 265 lbs.

I have read several places that Stoltenberg is up to about 285. NU doesn't update the wts too often.

I hear ya there. Especially with the lack of depth we have at the moment.

2015 rosters

Phillips - 6'4" 278 lbs

McMullen - 6'3" 280 lbs

Yeah, and McMullen might be bigger than that. Of course Phillips might be as well.

But: Stoltenberg - 6'5" 265 lbs.

I have read several places that Stoltenberg is up to about 285. NU doesn't update the wts too often.

That sounds about right.

Guessing Phillips is at least that big to be playing NT in a 3-4.