DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

I know his father has yet to land a job and I think they are stressing a bit as a family on that matter. I do not think that his decision would be based on anything Nebraska failed to do or the timing they did it, rather it would be that Stanford is an illustrious educational college and that adds a few more $ to your resume. The kid is very intelligent (GPA) and needs to do what is right for him and family. Not sure that any hearts would be broken either way and as good as it would be to land him, I do not feel he is or would be a game changer (at least in the first few years of his college career!

Good luck young man no matter which way you decide to go! GBR! :power

I know his father has yet to land a job and I think they are stressing a bit as a family on that matter. I do not think that his decision would be based on anything Nebraska failed to do or the timing they did it, rather it would be that Stanford is an illustrious educational college and that adds a few more $ to your resume. The kid is very intelligent (GPA) and needs to do what is right for him and family. Not sure that any hearts would be broken either way and as good as it would be to land him, I do not feel he is or would be a game changer (at least in the first few years of his college career!

Good luck young man no matter which way you decide to go! GBR! :power

THIS

Wasn't there another Nebraska player who went to Stanford but didn't stay???

Being a granola/salad eatin' tree hugger ain't as good as being a CORN FED and RED playa

:)

GBR

ummmmmm... who dat?

CFFAPDWWNGMCMSX.20090806190506.jpg

My heart goes out to the kid- it's a tough decision. The worst part is that if he does end up choosing Stanford, the rabid fans in this state are going to go crazy. He'll be attacked for "not loving the home team". If it's the case, can we please refrain from this? Just seems hard enough on him as it is if he plans on telling Husker fans that he's turning down a Nebraska offer to play football in Cali.

Can't fault the kid he has a tough time turning down a full ride to Stanford, but you're right Atbone. There will probably even be people on this board who bad mouth the kid because he went against the big red.

don't ever go against big red then.

do I need to the sarcasm emote?

My heart goes out to the kid- it's a tough decision. The worst part is that if he does end up choosing Stanford, the rabid fans in this state are going to go crazy. He'll be attacked for "not loving the home team". If it's the case, can we please refrain from this? Just seems hard enough on him as it is if he plans on telling Husker fans that he's turning down a Nebraska offer to play football in Cali.

it's one thing to choose Stanford over Nebraska, another thing to choose Arkansas/Kentucky over NE. I don't think too many people can blame the kid for going to Stanford. He'll be fine - but he'll still get some sh** from the locals I'm sure. All in good fun, deep down everyone would know he made a pretty solid decision. I think he'll be more successful at NE on the field though.

There is no doubt that a Stanford degree will mean more the real question is if he wants to come back and live in Nebraska. Being an ex-NU football players carries a lot of weight in Omaha and Lincoln, when it comes to getting some very very nice, very very cushy, very very high salaried positions with ease.

There is a lot of money in this state, old money, that LOVE to have some ex-players on staff so that they can hear some stories, entertain, make some sales, play some golf with clients and all that jazz.

There is no doubt that a Stanford degree will mean more the real question is if he wants to come back and live in Nebraska. Being an ex-NU football players carries a lot of weight in Omaha and Lincoln, when it comes to getting some very very nice, very very cushy, very very high salaried positions with ease.

There is a lot of money in this state, old money, that LOVE to have some ex-players on staff so that they can hear some stories, entertain, make some sales, play some golf with clients and all that jazz.

true, but he'll meet the exact same people @ Stanford (with a $17 billion endowment compared to $1 billion at NU). And that high salary in Nebraska might be what...125,000 a year? In Cali that will be 225k. I'd say if he's going to Stanford, he's planning on ended up there. Kids that go away to college rarely come back (in my experience). Usually if you're worth a crap in college, you'll have plenty of local jobs waiting for you. Even more so with the "networking" a football player can do, and the internships and other opportunities that are opened up to them.

It's certainly a very logical question that he needs to answer and you have a good point. If he has any intention of coming back to the midwest, going to NU is certainly the best option. He'll have tons of connections when he graduates. That's far more important that Stanford appearing at the top of his diploma. That's the same for most kids in college. But if he leaves, he likely needs to be committed to calling Cali home, because odds are that's where he'll end up for quite a while after college.

true, but he'll meet the exact same people @ Stanford (with a $17 billion endowment compared to $1 billion at NU). And that high salary in Nebraska might be what...125,000 a year? In Cali that will be 225k. I'd say if he's going to Stanford, he's planning on ended up there. Kids that go away to college rarely come back (in my experience). Usually if you're worth a crap in college, you'll have plenty of local jobs waiting for you. Even more so with the "networking" a football player can do, and the internships and other opportunities that are opened up to them.

It's certainly a very logical question that he needs to answer and you have a good point. If he has any intention of coming back to the midwest, going to NU is certainly the best option. He'll have tons of connections when he graduates. That's far more important that Stanford appearing at the top of his diploma. That's the same for most kids in college. But if he leaves, he likely needs to be committed to calling Cali home, because odds are that's where he'll end up for quite a while after college.

Yeah that is true, you have a good point. I just don't think the Stanford football networking connection is as strong as the NU one, but, you never know.

I would respectfully disagree with this Chris.

I realize if he was to eventually become an elite player here at Nebraska, he would be recognized for his accomplishments and that probably would open up (MORE) & (LOCAL) doors for him but depending upon the opportunity (job) I believe a Stanford education (degree) would be a plus over a Nebraska education (degree). I believe if Warren Buffet was interviewing someone for a respectable position at Berkshire, the Stanford stamp would over shadow the Husker career. IMHO

But your comments are well received and a good point that should be brought up in the 9th hour recruiting process. :ahhhhhhhh

edit:

I guess if he turned out to be another SUH, he could name his opportunity as he would be recognized by all everywhere!

Yeah that is true, you have a good point. I just don't think the Stanford football networking connection is as strong as the NU one, but, you never know.

Yeah I'm not really sure on that, never been there - no one can probably quantify it. 5 years ago I'd probably guarantee you it wasn't, but I think Stanford alumni take a major pride in the school they went to. That football team has become a major source of that pride as well now.

I'd say (and probably some Nebraska alumni will disagree) that that pride in the Stanford brand would exceed Nebraska's. I know I could care less where I went to college (been about 10 years since I graduated). At this point in my career it makes absolutely no difference to anyone. If I had gone to Stanford I'm pretty confident it would be different though. I think plenty of people (myself included) have an immense pride in the Nebraska football team - but the university as a whole...probably not as much. And it "should" be that connection/pride/network that will end up landing him a high paying job in Cali.

Then again it could go the other way, maybe a Nebraska alumni would give him a job because he's a football player before fully qualifying him - whereas at Stanford the football portion of his resume likely doesn't carry as much weight in that interview.