DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

I'd just as soon he commit. Recognition is nice and all, but I'm a lot more concerned about getting the players we want on campus. The more trips a kid makes, the greater chance someone else catches his eye. If NU thinks he can play, get him on board.

Huskers covet Millard West star, even if position is uncertain

Column by Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JUNE 27, 2013 AT 10:38 PM / UPDATED AT 7:48 PM

<snip>

It's a risk anytime you recruit a guy without a perfect position in the system, but, with Phillips, it's a worthy risk. In-state kid, good motor, motivated, smart, plays with leverage. Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney historically and consistently found a place for that type of kid at Nebraska, especially when good FBS programs — Stanford, UCLA and, yes, Kansas State — come knocking. Even if all of them don't pan out, you make the room. There's a difference between a perfect plan — which, in recruiting, doesn't exist — and a sound one. Offering Phillips is sound.

LINK

Pretty good article a couple days back by Sam.

We have a HUGE crop of instate talent this year. Maybe two or three times as many as most years.

• Fire 1
I'd just as soon he commit. Recognition is nice and all, but I'm a lot more concerned about getting the players we want on campus. The more trips a kid makes, the greater chance someone else catches his eye. If NU thinks he can play, get him on board.

This.

Who gives a crap about the publicity. Why provide more opportunities for another campus to grow on him. Seriously there is no way in hell I'd want Harrison to take another look at Stanford.

I hope Harrison commits before the season so he can be there at every home game with Luke Gifford, DJ Foster, Mick Stoltenberg and those guys can help recruit the guys we get on campus. Harrison stated that whichever school he committed to, he would immediately become a lead recruiter.

I hope Harrison commits before the season so he can be there at every home game with Luke Gifford, DJ Foster, Mick Stoltenberg and those guys can help recruit the guys we get on campus. Harrison stated that whichever school he committed to, he would immediately become a lead recruiter.

You saw his twitter response when he got the Nebraska offer. All Caps... I JUST GOT OFFERED BY NEBRASKA! #GBR. He didn't tweet with near the excitement for the other schools.

I would rather have a Nebraska kid who wants to be here than a knucklehead from outside the state who can't stay out of trouble. Come on Harrison, commit!

We should take it easy on Suttles. He made a bad decision and now has to deal with the consequences. Hopefully, he has a strong social network to get him refocused on his future and searching for a second chance with another team.

Still, I wonder if Suttles' dismissal lead to the offer for Phillips (his offer did come following last weekend's altercation). Like we were discussing earlier in the thread, Huskers recruited DE well last year, and already have Stoltenberg in this class. Maybe Phillips was a bit of a question mark for the staff before because the DE position was covered, but now without Suttles, they are jumping to offer this high-motored in-state talent. Is there any suggestion as to which position the staff is recruiting Phillips at?

I would rather have a Nebraska kid who wants to be here than a knucklehead from outside the state who can't stay out of trouble. Come on Harrison, commit!

We should take it easy on Suttles. He made a bad decision and is now has to deal with the consequences. Hopefully, he has a strong social network to get him refocused on his future and searching for a second chance with another team.

Still, I wonder if Suttles' dismissal lead to the offer for Phillips (his offer did come following last weekend's altercation). Like we were discussing earlier in the thread, Huskers recruited DE well last year, and already have Stoltenberg in this class. Maybe Phillips was a bit of a question mark for the staff before because the DE position was covered, but now without Suttles, they are jumping to offer this high-motored in-state talent. Is there any suggestion as to which position the staff is recruiting Phillips at?

According to the OWH - TE / DE / or Center (Not sure of exact position yet)

• Fire 1

Stanford is a GREAT school. Their academics are ivy League. They are near San Francisco in a beautiful area of the country. They have a top 25 football team. We have things to be worried about. But the good news is all the kids at his school are going to be trying to get him to go to Nebraska. Our committed players are recruiting him for Nebraska. His parents are close to NU and would be able to see his games. We have a lot of things working in our favor here. Lets just hope he doesn't feel disrespected by our coaches because they didn't offer him right after camp. Let's hope he doesn't feel like those other schools want him more and like him more.

I wouldn't blame him for going to Stanford. He fits their system better on D if he wants to play end. He would probably get moved around here once or twice and start at center his last few years. Or he could blossom and move inside like crick did. Crick fit better in a 3-4 that's what he plays for the Texans, so he certainly could succeed here.

That said, we are his dream offer and it would hurt him to have to turn us down, he might not be able to.

You saw his twitter response when he got the Nebraska offer. All Caps... I JUST GOT OFFERED BY NEBRASKA! #GBR. He didn't tweet with near the excitement for the other schools.

is this even possible? :)