DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

"everyone" said the in-state talent was better for 2014, is this kid one of them that was thought would be in that category?

seems like a "tweener" to me, but if he's die-hard Husker, i'll give him the benefit of doubt.

looks good on film, has big upside, etc....however, who did Michigan, tOSU, and PSU pick up this week?

PSU picked up a kid that's one star better, but two inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter than our slot receiver. Also had about a grand less AP yards as well in the same DC area of HSFB.

So let me reiterate here,

Unless you have watched film on the guys that they picked up, don't assume that because of star rating that they are better.

• Fire 1

"everyone" said the in-state talent was better for 2014, is this kid one of them that was thought would be in that category?

seems like a "tweener" to me, but if he's die-hard Husker, i'll give him the benefit of doubt.

looks good on film, has big upside, etc....however, who did Michigan, tOSU, and PSU pick up this week?

PSU picked up a kid that's one star better, but two inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter than our slot receiver. Also had about a grand less AP yards as well in the same DC area of HSFB.

So let me reiterate here,

Unless you have watched film on the guys that they picked up, don't assume that because of star rating that they are better.

AMEN!

So why the offer now? Did Stanford and UCLA jumping-in make them rethink? Did they figure they had more time to mull things over and the new offers made it a now or never deal? Still trying to figure-out where they'd put him? Where trying to decide whether to offer greyshirt or immediate? My guess is it's a combination of 2 and 3.

So why the offer now? Did Stanford and UCLA jumping-in make them rethink? Did they figure they had more time to mull things over and the new offers made it a now or never deal? Still trying to figure-out where they'd put him? Where trying to decide whether to offer greyshirt or immediate? My guess is it's a combination of 2 and 3.

My educated guess is it went down this way:

1) We wanted him on the team and the staff knew that.

2) They suspect that some members of the 2010 class that are now RS Juniors will play this year, graduate, and call it good and not play in 2014.

3) The staff didn't really want to take that gamble right away, so they slow-played Harrison figuring that we would be able to offer in October and have him accept then.

4) Stanford and UCLA offering forced our hand.

2) They suspect that some members of the 2010 class that are now RS Juniors will play this year, graduate, and call it good and not play in 2014.

3) The staff didn't really want to take that gamble right away, so they slow-played Harrison figuring that we would be able to offer in October and have him accept then.

Good point with getting a better idea what the numbers game will be. We have some rs-juniors that may not be here. IMO Bo needs to be making sure some of these guys are on course for a timely graduation. I'm OK with keeping solid citizens around for four years whether things work-out on the field or not. But fifth years on schollie should be for guys out there playing on Saturdays, others should be graduating and moving-on.

This would be my guess as well

"everyone" said the in-state talent was better for 2014, is this kid one of them that was thought would be in that category? seems like a "tweener" to me, but if he's die-hard Husker, i'll give him the benefit of doubt. looks good on film, has big upside, etc....however, who did Michigan, tOSU, and PSU pick up this week?
PSU picked up a kid that's one star better, but two inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter than our slot receiver. Also had about a grand less AP yards as well in the same DC area of HSFB. So let me reiterate here, Unless you have watched film on the guys that they picked up, don't assume that because of star rating that they are better.

+1 to you sir

Harrison Phillips@horribleharry99 11m

I Woke up but I still think I'm dreaming.

tanner farmer@tank1309 2m

@horribleharry99 Congrats bro. Follow your heart, and all will be well. You know where I stand. Lets tear it up.

Guess you don't have to wonder if Phillips is going to commit. Nebraska's offer seems to be a dream come true for Phillips. Also, love the peer recruiting from Farmer.

Footnote, Phillips and Farmer are both state wrestling champs at HWT and went undefeated last year. Got to be cool for these two guys to be future teammates (potentially) and have commonality outside of football.

Edited by NU-Bo
  • Fire 1