DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

Happy to see the offer and wish him and his family the utmost success! 99% sure Harrison will commit to being a Husker. Family ties all here, sister in Kearney going to school. Super family that are very down to earth people, just what the Doctor ordered to the start of the rebuilding of tradition that we had in the 90s.

Kid has a motor, solid attitude and the desire to succeed. :bigredn:

Harrison Phillips@horribleharry99 11m

I Woke up but I still think I'm dreaming.

tanner farmer@tank1309 2m

@horribleharry99 Congrats bro. Follow your heart, and all will be well. You know where I stand. Lets tear it up.

Guess you don't have to wonder if Phillips is going to commit. Nebraska's offer seems to be a dream come true for Phillips. Also, love the peer recruiting from Farmer.

Footnote, Phillips and Farmer are both state wrestling champs at HWT and went undefeated last year. Got to be cool for these two guys to be future teammates (potentially) and have commonality outside of football.

They got to to be boys fast at camp. Great that Farmer is in there working to close Phillips. Get Phillips in the fold and it keeps Farmer solid when others push for his services. He's already told others not to bother but attention could get pretty intense after he blows more guys up at the opening.

So why the offer now? Did Stanford and UCLA jumping-in make them rethink? Did they figure they had more time to mull things over and the new offers made it a now or never deal? Still trying to figure-out where they'd put him? Where trying to decide whether to offer greyshirt or immediate? My guess is it's a combination of 2 and 3.

My educated guess is it went down this way:

1) We wanted him on the team and the staff knew that.

2) They suspect that some members of the 2010 class that are now RS Juniors will play this year, graduate, and call it good and not play in 2014.

3) The staff didn't really want to take that gamble right away, so they slow-played Harrison figuring that we would be able to offer in October and have him accept then.

4) Stanford and UCLA offering forced our hand.

Let's not forget Harrison told the media after camp that the Husker coaches were going to make a decision about offering him in a few weeks after camps and BRW was over. And the offer now is right on that schedule. This same scenario is quite likely even without other offers.

Happy for the kid and seems to have the right attitude and motor. My concern is where he fits. Seems to be a bit of a tweener on defense. Ideal for a 3-4 end (which Stanford and UCLA run), but I'm not convinced we're switching to the 3-4 for anything more than a specialty package. I think he projects more as an undersized DT (ala Ty steinkuhler) or, preferably, as a center.

I suppose the timing does fit with the timeframe the coaches gave him, but I'm surprised. In any case, I suppose you can't have too many big guys that play hard.

Anyone have a preliminary guess on the class size?

i think around 16 are graduating. We had maybe 2-3 left over after signing day which will be available. Carnes's transfer. Heard's transfer. Peat's transfer. Rome's transfer. There might be 1 recruit that doesn't make it. A wash out or two in fall. A transfer or two in the spring. I'm guessing 23 will be available by signing day.

Harrison has some intellect!

Wow, offers from Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, and on and on. A gazillion schools seem to have offered at every level. I'm hopeful his choice is to stay at home, as I think it will be.

And I hope he is very successful at NU, indeed. Glad we finally offered.

do you guys think trey carr is feeling a little left out???!!!

i feel real bad for him actually not even knowing how down he is with the huskers? place for him? not sure! but it would be nice if he get an offer other than the dakota schools.. but hell atleast he has got that I LOVE YOU TREY!!

tumblr_inline_mjq091ttv31qz4rgp.gif

Knowing the family a little bit I can say that they really probably want to complete their commitment so they can concentrate on other things, so I think it will be sooner rather than later. I said earlier that I feel 99% confident he will be a Husker and I remain feeling that way. I do not know all the inside personal things they will consider but the kid and family are Husker lovers.

As for this board argument above, I would say let it go guys. I know I am new here since Feb but have read this board for a long time and everyone has an opinion and there is no need to bash each other over something as dumb as whether a offer was made or not. I would probably bet that Bo and his staff is not 100% on any offer until a few days before they give it. We all make decisions when we come to the point that we "need or want" something that fills whatever void we have at the moment. Not sure about you guys but other than the essential needs we all have, I don't make a decision on "getting" or "going after something" I need until I am confident the need is real.

Sorry to preach but this board is filled with people from all walks of life and experience and unless someone here is tiny enough to sit in Bo's ear or nose (ha-ha), they probably are giving an opinion based on what they perceive to be the facts, just like my feeling that Phillips will commit earlier rather than later. I don't know that with 100% certainty but I know enough about the family to say this commitment would be put to rest so they can focus on their other pressing issues.

As a new guy I probably shouldn’t have said anything about the argument but since it is a board full of opinions, this is mine! Carry on, LOL